Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '62 Pontiac Catalina Polyglas Gasser II

Casey

14 hours ago, AC Norton said:

Yeah, and it really is a big disappointment, and the box and decals really don't justify buying one, IMO.....I have a tendency to think that Round2 is 'reaching' on reissues like this trying to capture something very exciting from the long ago, and it just does not cut it....just my 2 cents....the Ace....^_^

To each their own.  For many of the Round 2 reissues that I couldn't care less about, there are others on this forum that are overjoyed, and vice-versa.

I personally don't have any warm and fuzzy feelings for the box art, and never had an original "Polyglas Gasser" Bonneville kit.  However, for me the kit was a great value because of all the custom parts and the three full sets of tires.  The box was noticeably heavier than the average kit, and it was absolutely packed full once I got the box open.  I was actually a little scared that some parts would be warped because it was so tight, but it seems like all's good.

Edited by Robberbaron

5 hours ago, pack rat said:

Of all the "new-tool" AMT kits I've built in the last few years this one was my favorite

Mine, too, and IMHO, the best of all the Mueller era AMT kits. I don't care for the custom parts, but the guts are 88% shared between both versions, so the Pontiac V-8 engine and rearend will always be included. :)

It's a nice kit...you can't say anything else.
This one together with the '60 Ford Galaxie Starliner kits are my favourites from the AMT later tooling lineup and holds the same standard detailwise.
But I allready have a couple of the earlier issues of the '62 Pontiac kits so I will probably not buy another one right now.

Got mine last night at the MCCM meeting. I'm very happy with what I found in the box. I forgot how nice of a kit this is. The Mueller era AMT kits were some of the best. Looking forward to building the "stock" (street) version this time. 

Edited by unclescott58

The AMT '62 Catalina is and always has been a stellar kit. Round 2 made it even better by combining the stock and custom versions in one box and including templates for side windows. It's also a great basis for the nostalgic/fictitious PG II kit. I preferred the previous version, mainly because.of the Beswick decals, but I will still probably get one of these.

A challenge for those doing aftermarket 3-D printing: How about a set of full wheel covers for the '62? Neither this kit nor the original Bonneville issued in '62 has ever had them:

5ad0210d77e2f_62pontiacwheelcovers.jpg.b8fe1203116b4dafa5348291a8284b1e.jpg

(image from eBay listing)

Note how the concentric rings and three triangles are only stamped in the outer part, but are reflected in the smooth center - neat trick by the stylist.B)

Starting in the 1962, the Ventura became an interior trim option for certain Catalina models. Rather than a seperate model line like it had been in '60 and '61. I find it interesting to see that stock interior in AMT's '62 Catalina kit, is the optional Ventura interior. Makes for a more interesting comparison with Moebuis' '61 Ventura kit. '61 Ventura model vs. '62 Ventura interior trim package. 

On 1/8/2018 at 7:52 AM, Rob Hall said:

Same roof, different A-pillars.it would have made sense that they modified the '62 into the '63...but I wasn't around then working for AMT, so who knows what they did...but since it was 56 years ago, a bit pointless to speculate now. 

Going back and rereading comments. Rob, you need to take look closer at the "A" pillars on the '62s vs the '63s. There was a big change in the windshields on the full-size GM "B" and "C" body cars in '63 that require major changes to the "A" pillars on both the real and the model cars that year. Then look at the lower body lines. They look somewhat similar, but again different enough to need a new die to produce an accurate model of a '63. Modifications between '63 and '64 were a lot less. Allowing AMT to reuse the molds with fewer modifications. Basically just new front and rear ends. The '65s were again different enough to require another all new tool. 

So this brings up the question, we're is AMT's molds for the '64 Bonneville? Another kit I'd love to see reissued.

21 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Going back and rereading comments. Rob, you need to take look closer at the "A" pillars on the '62s vs the '63s. There was a big change in the windshields on the full-size GM "B" and "C" body cars in '63 that require major changes to the "A" pillars on both the real and the model cars that year. Then look at the lower body lines. They look somewhat similar, but again different enough to need a new die to produce an accurate model of a '63. Modifications between '63 and '64 were a lot less. Allowing AMT to reuse the molds with fewer modifications. Basically just new front and rear ends. The '65s were again different enough to require another all new tool. 

So this brings up the question, we're is AMT's molds for the '64 Bonneville? Another kit I'd love to see reissued.

Actually, if you compare them side by side you will see that only the roof and door skins were the same. All the rest of the sheetmetal was altered from '63 to '64.  A lot more than just new front and rear ends ,, not to mention a different interior.

But, Yes, definitly would like to see the '64 back. I cant think of anything it could have been modded into.

Edited by Can-Con

On 4/12/2018 at 11:23 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

A challenge for those doing aftermarket 3-D printing: How about a set of full wheel covers for the '62? Neither this kit nor the original Bonneville issued in '62 has ever had them:

5ad0210d77e2f_62pontiacwheelcovers.jpg.b8fe1203116b4dafa5348291a8284b1e.jpg

(image from eBay listing)

Note how the concentric rings and three triangles are only stamped in the outer part, but are reflected in the smooth center - neat trick by the stylist.B)

I would love to see someone do these.  My first car was a well-worn ‘62 Catalina convertible and it had those wheel covers.  I’ve been gathering parts to replicate it and it would be fun to have the right covers.  As of now I was planning to use the 63’s as they were the closest I could find.

• 2 years later...