Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '62 Pontiac Catalina Polyglas Gasser II

Casey

32 minutes ago, russosborne said:

Or is Round2 using the term "Gasser" in a different way than what I am used to seeing?

I guess it depends upon how "gasser" is defined, but I don't think it's out of line to call it that:

The 1956 NHRA Nationals program stated, “The Gas Coupes and Sedans are the classic hot rod of today.   Cars running in this division are generally used for transportation, instead of being built for competition, and they feature hopped-up engines. Each must have a full compliment of equipment essential for legal on-the-street transportation use..."

Repop artwork from the 1962 Bonneville release from late 60s...maybe the last time the Bonnie was seen? 

The “new” box art still shows what I believe to be a Bonneville, although the kit is the Catalina. 

Orginal:

FE3E8265-9D19-4A82-8212-5A6C7AC683BA.png

Edited by Erik Smith

10 hours ago, russosborne said:

Sorry if I am being dense, but what part of this is a "Gasser"?

Doesn't look like one to me, but maybe the boxtop picture shown above isn't the only version?

Or is Round2 using the term "Gasser" in a different way than what I am used to seeing?

Thanks,

Russ

"Gasser" was also slang for "The Very Best" 

4 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

Gasser/Catalina/Bonneville controversy aside the custom parts in this kit are very nice as was highlighted by the Brad Leisure box art on a previous issue.

The custom parts are a diamond-tuffed(?) interior (seats, door panels), custom tube grille, long lakes pipes, chrome plated steel wheels, and chrome plated valve covers:

994e11a4-a1d9-4256-b4f6-21527989d567.jpg

d13bbeeb-809d-4349-8ef1-ec966d26173d.jpg 

Nice to see this kit reissued. The "gasser" term means different things to different people. To the NHRA a stock car becomes a Gasser if any modifications such as additional carburation or cam change has happened. In 1962 a friend of mine was trying to run his '56 Olds 88 convertible at Lyons Drag Strip. Since he had had an accident and the front bumper was not on the car, this being the only modification, he was forced to run in a gas class. At least he got some time slips, but he was no threat to any of the real Gassers.  Glad to see they're including the extra custom parts.  

One proof that those kits are aimed at old folks: 

Ask a guy or girl under 25 what a Polyglas or a Wide Oval is. 

For matter of fact, ask them what brand of tires they have in their car. The car is an appliance generation couldn't care less.

I remember really "digging" the Wide Ovals on my mother's Maverick. and the set of Polyglas my uncle had in his Maverick.  The Wide Ovals were always my preferred tire. Run a set on my '74 Galaxie, the real deal bias ply, not the radials, and have two spare sets in storage. 

40 minutes ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

One proof that those kits are aimed at old folks: 

Ask a guy or girl under 25 what a Polyglas or a Wide Oval is.  

Heck, I'm 47, and only know of Polyglas or Wide Ovals from model kits and old car mags...I've always had radial tires on my 1:1 vehicles...radials have been mainstream in the US for over 40 years. 

Edited by Rob Hall

6 hours ago, Casey said:

The custom parts are a diamond-tuffed(?) interior (seats, door panels), custom tube grille, long lakes pipes, chrome plated steel wheels, and chrome plated valve covers

The same  custom interior parts are found in AMT kits 6135 ('62 Pontiac Catalina Custom 2002 issue), 31279 (Custom Shop pre-painted) and 623 (2 n"1 Drag Car). Are the stock interior parts also included in this release?

4 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The same  custom interior parts are found in AMT kits 6135 ('62 Pontiac Catalina Custom 2002 issue), 31279 (Custom Shop pre-painted) and 623 (2 n"1 Drag Car). Are the stock interior parts also included in this release?

I would assume so, since the ad says 2n1, builds factory stock. 

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Heck, I'm 47, and only know of Polyglas or Wide Ovals from model kits and old car mags...I've always had radial tires on my 1:1 vehicles...radials have been mainstream in the US for over 40 years. 

Here too. The Alfas had radials since the late '60s (Pirelli Cinturatto), and the water cooled VWs since about 1973. The Galaxie changed to radials in 1976. The wheels were changed from 15X5 inches to 15X6 inches, and Good Year G-800 radials replaced the Firestones 7,75X15 bias ply. The Maverick kept the Wide Ovals or Polyglas bias up to 1979, when Ford discontinued the line. My mother's was a '75 GT V8, and she was able to get Wide Ovals up to 1986, when they vanished for good. Prior to that she had tried a set of Pirelli Cinturatos on the Maverick, and hated them. I remember they lasting two weeks on the car. The car really felt harsh, and uncomfortable. After that it was back to the Wide Ovals. When the last set of Wide Ovals was gone, my mom sold the Maverick.  Back in 2001 I still was able to buy a set of Pirelli "Sempione" bias ply in 7,10X15, for my old Chevy Veraneio. Always hated driving on radials. My '82 Galaxie has radials, as they were the stock equipment tire for the car, but the '74 rides a billion times better on the Wide Ovals made by Coker than the '82 on modern Hankook white lines.