Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford 3 window coupe

HDDan

That was my suggestion, But it would be cool to see Revell and Hot Rod team up again. I would love to see the "Monkey Pecker" as a model kit. Can't say I was ever in love with the name... but the car is amazing and that hemi? I'd love to build my version with the hemi and the chopped top.

• 2 weeks later...

I generally use 30 ga kynar insulated wire wrap wire. You can clamp one end in a vise and pull on the wire with pliers until it just gives a little. That straightens it, and you don't get the kinky wire look. Same method might work with the wire you're using. 

Edited by Dave Ambrose
fixed autocorrect miscue

I'll try it. I think I might try doing a mold of a distributor cap with the wires molded into it. 

I love this hobby because I can let my obsessive nature run free on things like this

Edited by HDDan
I can't spell

On 1/26/2018 at 10:48 PM, HDDan said:

I'm really not happy with the spark plug wires that everyone is using. I'm going to have to do some work and come up with a better solution

Are you using a pin vice and miniature drill bits do drill holes in the distributor cap? That makes it much easier to "install" spark plug wires and the ignition coil wire. You can always replace the distributor with another and re-run the wires to the spark plug locations, too.

I would suggest you work on the basics first, before adding "extras" like spark plug wires. The best advice I can give is to think of each part of sub assembly (for example, the engine, or the interior, etc.) as a model itself. Make sure the engine block/transmission halves mate squarely, and that they are perfectly aligned (or as best as the pieces will allow) as you are gluing them together with a liquid glue. The test fit the cylinder heads and intake manifold before you glue any of them to the block...and so on. Taking your time with each piece and step will result in a cleaner, though maybe a bit less detailed, model, but I think you'll be happier, and you can build on those results the next time.

Nice wheel and tire choice, too. :) 

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Are you using a pin vice and miniature drill bits do drill holes in the distributor cap? That makes it much easier to "install" spark plug wires and the ignition coil wire. You can always replace the distributor with another and re-run the wires to the spark plug locations, too.

I would suggest you work on the basics first, before adding "extras" like spark plug wires. The best advice I can give is to think of each part of sub assembly (for example, the engine, or the interior, etc.) as a model itself. Make sure the engine block/transmission halves mate squarely, and that they are perfectly aligned (or as best as the pieces will allow) as you are gluing them together with a liquid glue. The test fit the cylinder heads and intake manifold before you glue any of them to the block...and so on. Taking your time with each piece and step will result in a cleaner, though maybe a bit less detailed, model, but I think you'll be happier, and you can build on those results the next time.

Nice wheel and tire choice, too. :) 

Thanks for the suggestion. I am pretty happy with the way everything else is turning out on my models. This is the first time I tried using wire for my spark plug wires. I definitely want to try the pin drill. Do you have any recommendations for a brand?

On 1/12/2018 at 11:28 PM, HDDan said:

I think that car is a 34

Yep it is the latest offering from the guys at Gas Monkey Garage". It is also a cover car on the latest issue of Rodder's Journal magazine in case you're looking for some in depth photo coverage of that exact car.

6 hours ago, HDDan said:

Do you have any recommendations for a brand?

Nothing specific, but I do like mine double ended pin vise, which has reversible collets to fit many different size drill bit. I would suggest one with a ball type end, as mine digs into my palm when drilling for a while, which is not ideal. I don't even recall where I purchased mine, but they are easy to find online. Here's one that looks comfortable to use....*edit* so I just bought it and will LYK how well it works:

pinvise.jpg

Edited by Casey