Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '41 Willys Street Rod

crowe-t

I found pictures online of a reddish-brown '41 Willys that inspired this build.  This build won't be an exact replica but I'm trying to capture some of the details.  

I modified the firewall by adding three 1mm  pieces of styrene and I added the details on the ends.  I had to add the styrene to the floor so it'll line up.  I also modified the hood latch area to resemble the 1:1.  I removed the door hinges, side molding and filled in the holes for the door handles.  I found a set of mirrors that I should have soon.  I forgot to take pictures with the original firewall so if anyone has a picture of an unbuilt Revell '41 Willys Street Rod I won't mind if you can post it here.

This kit sits rather high in front so I raised the upper control arms about 3.5 mm and flipped the part with the lower control arms over to lower the suspension.  The steering links had to be raised on the spindles to clear the chassis.

Since I built out the firewall I'll have to move the motor forward a bit so I extended the motor mounts on the chassis.

The rear wheel openings are really large on this kit.  I want them to match the 1:1 Willys in the pictures.  I added 1mm stryene sheet and built the sides out with some .5mm styrene and shaped them.  After the putty was sanded I applied some primer.  

I'll be painting this with a mix House Of Kolors KBC07 Root Beer and KBC11 Apple Red Kandy Base Coat over BC07 Gamma Gold to give it a reddish-brown shade.  

I'll post more pictures soon.  

IMG_9045 Small.jpg

IMG_9047 Small.jpg

IMG_9162 Small.jpg

IMG_9049 Small.jpg

IMG_9164 Small.jpg

IMG_9166 Small.jpg

IMG_9170 Small.jpg

IMG_9173 Small.jpg

IMG_9175 Small.jpg

IMG_9183 Small.jpg

IMG_9185 Small.jpg

IMG_9187 Small.jpg

1941 WILLYS COUPE STREET ROD:Some Like It Hot:Killer Paint 1 Small.jpg

1941 WILLYS COUPE STREET ROD:Some Like It Hot:Killer Paint 2 Small.jpg

1941 WILLYS COUPE STREET ROD:Some Like It Hot:Killer Paint 3 Small.jpg

1941 WILLYS COUPE STREET ROD:Some Like It Hot:Killer Paint 12 Small.jpg

1941-willys-coupe-outlaw-body-7.JPG

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks guys!

I did one more thing to the body.  I added a piece of 1mm styrene along the bottom, behind the rear wheel openings to more closely match the 1:1 Willys in the pictures in my first post and others I've seen.

IMG_9188 Small.jpg

IMG_9191 Small.jpg

IMG_9192 Small.jpg

IMG_9194 Small.jpg

IMG_9198 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike , here are some pics . I cut the frame just in front of the body mounts . And flip the lower a frames like yours but I cut the upper part of spindle off .  Then carve away the bottom of the frame for rack - tie rods clearance . The green one has Revell pro street Firestones stuffed up in it , tight .

Love your Willys  , Jeff

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

Thanks Geoff!

Thanks Jeff for the pictures.  It looks like you angled the front of the frame up a bit to lower the front suspension.  I actually like how yours looks more then what I did.  I'm just going to leave mine since it's all in primer now.  All your Willys' are beautiful!  I hope mine looks half as nice when it's done.  

A small update - I started mixing the House Of Kolors paints today.  The red-brown isn't an easy color to make but I'm in the ball park.

Mike. 

Edited by crowe-t

Great start, Michael!!!  I love the body mods out back and tightening the rear fender openings looks good.  Looking forward to following along as I'm looking for inspiration to start on mine.????????

I've been working on the body color using the House Of Kolor KBC07 Root Beer and KBC11 Apple Red Kandy Base Coat.  It's not working out as well as I hoped.  The Root Beer and Apple Red mixed together makes a very dark color.  The color only really shows in either direct sunlight or under a light.  If anyone has any ideas of a color or colors I can mix to make the reddish-brown color please join in.  I'm looking for a metallic/candy/pearl.  Any of these.

I think your problem is the red basecoat, it's probably to dark. Try mixing candy red and rootbeer over a silver or gold basecoat. This way you can slowly build up the color slowly until it's dark enough. You also might want to try brandywine/rootbeer over silver.

If you give me some time, I'll dig out my old HOK color chart and see what I can come up for you.

Edited by Psychographic

32 minutes ago, Psychographic said:

I think your problem is the red basecoat, it's probably to dark. Try mixing candy red and rootbeer over a silver or gold basecoat. This way you can slowly build up the color slowly until it's dark enough. You also might want to try brandywine/rootbeer over silver.

If you give me some time, I'll dig out my old HOK color chart and see what I can come up for you.

I did mix HOK Apple Red Kandy and Root Beer in various mixes.  I applied them over Gamma Gold and Orion Silver.  The Apple Red and Root Beer become very dark when mixed.  I'm using the Kandy Base coats that have a slight pearl mixed in.  

Maybe HOK Tangerine mixed with Apple Red might work.  

I'd appreciate it if you can look at your HOK color chart for me.

This was pretty hard as lighting and monitor settings can change, but here is my suggestions. I would have never guessed this combo in a million years.  I held the color chart at many angles to get the best idea of the true color as it changes quite a bit, there were many that looked very close at first glance, Once you changed the angle many took on too much of a red hue.

The closest combos are UK-19 Scarlet and UK-20 Persimmon over either BC-09 Planet Green or BC-10 Pavo Purple.Based on my monitor and lighting I would go with Scarlet over Planet Green . I  hope this helps. I tried to take pics of the color chart, but my camera is not sophisticated enough to get accurate pics of the chart.

Thanks for looking for me.  These combos are odd but do make sense.  The only problem is I order from Coast Airbrush since they sell small sizes, 1, 2, & 4 ounce and they don't have the UK-19 Scarlet and UK-Persimmon.

However I was looking on House Of Kolors website and did a sort of their brown formulas.  These look pretty close to what I need and are easy to make.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors/detail/index.html?id=HOK000823-01&ref=kolors

http://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors/detail/index.html?id=HOK000321-01&ref=kolors

http://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors/detail/index.html?id=HOK000325-01&ref=kolors

http://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors/detail/index.html?id=HOK000324-01&ref=kolors

http://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors/detail/index.html?id=HOK000805-01&ref=kolors

Edited by crowe-t