Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 1968 Volkswagen Beetle

David G.

This one is done. Usually the natural sunlight in my outdoor studio makes for great photos. Today however, was rather cloudy. I'll see if I can get some better photos next weekend. If anybody is interested, here's a link to the build thread.

68_Beetle18.jpg.b8ba94006b40db9bbd451b31a621f045.jpg

I chose to build this Bug as right-hand drive but I thought giving it British number plates would be almost cliche. I decided instead to give it an Australian, NSW circa 1968 registration.

68_Beetle19.jpg.eff1182ee3ee07f4c1e524bee674f340.jpg

A little engine detail and the Aussie badge.

68_Beetle20.jpg.fb9a72457382023a88ebe0b65b8ce1a1.jpg

I took this photo before I realized that I'd forgotten to install the sideview mirror.

68_Beetle21.jpg.c99e4464478aea04c294bba3682856d8.jpg

As always, please feel free to comment and thanks for taking the time to look.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Refreshed Photos

Looks great David, great timing! My son gave me the same kit for Christmas and I just opened the  box up yesterday. My father had a black Bug back in the day with a dark red interior. I'm building mine with those same colors. Hope it turns out as well as yours!

I have got to get that kit.  I picked it up and looked at it in A. C. Moore just before Christmas, but didn't buy it.  Hope it is still there when I get back.  I owned a 68 Beetle for almost two years, you could watch the highway go by if you moved the floor mat.  Had it parked in my driveway in Oklahoma and went out one morning to find someone had stolen the carburetor off it.  Anyway, back to your build it is exceptional.  As the others have said, with the right background it could  be mistaken for a real one.  Nice job.

Edited by TarheelRick

I saw this one for the first time a couple of days ago. I felt that it was odd, and something was bugging me about it (the kit, not the build).

I just found out!! Here, there was never a "round" bumper Beetle without the bumperettes and the chrome bars (a là Herbie). Also, the Beetle never had the sealed beam headlights with this bumper. That was making the car to look odd to me. The headlights on the kit only came after the "square" bumper. 

Since it's a German Bug, it's perfectly alright. It was the image of a bug in my mind that was conditioned by what we had here.