Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anyone used the AMT '66 Riviera chassis under the AMT '69 Riviera?

22 minutes ago, Crankenstien said:

something for more detail if that's what your going after id say find a newer revel chevelle kit think they are the same wheels base

Don't both 1:1 cars have an X-type chassis?  I'm not sure the Chevelle unit would be the best choice if accuracy matters.  

49 minutes ago, Monty said:

I hate promo-type chassis plates like those on the '69 Riviera, so I was wondering if the '66 chassis could be made to work.  

Assuming it can be made to work, how accurate will the result be?  

Monty, I used to have a 1/1 '69 Riv, I'm very familiar with them. Favorite car I've owned

Aside from the engine, the '66 chassis and underhood area is correct for a '69.  ,,Any Riv from '66 to '70 actually.

You'll need the 430 from the '69 kit , the nailhead in the '66 was the last year for that engine.

You should also add some headlights under the hood if you're going that far ,, and please ,, no amber on the front signals and cornering lights. LOL

Yes, the Chevelle chassis is completely wrong for a 'Riv.

Anything else about a '69 Riv, please just ask.

Edited by Can-Con

4 hours ago, Can-Con said:

You'll need the 430 from the '69 kit , the nailhead in the '66 was the last year for that engine.

You should also add some headlights under the hood if you're going that far ,, and please ,, no amber on the front signals and cornering lights. LOL

Anything else about a '69 Riv, please just ask.

Glad I asked.  I forgot about the change from the nailhead series to the later series.  In your opinion, is this the best 1/25 Buick engine I can stick in the '69?

As far as detailing goes, I rely heavily on Google pictures.  No amber if GM didn't put it there.  Thanks again!

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Glad I asked.  I forgot about the change from the nailhead series to the later series.  In your opinion, is this the best 1/25 Buick engine I can stick in the '69?

As far as detailing goes, I rely heavily on Google pictures.  No amber if GM didn't put it there.  Thanks again!

It's the ONLY 430 out there. The valve covers are dead on but the rest?,, maybe not so much.  The 455 in the Monogram '70 GSX is really good if you don't mind the scale difference. But you'd have to sand the ribs off the valve covers and add new ones. Here's a couple shots to start you off,,

69riv engine

69riv engine 2

69riv engine 3

,,,, and a gratuitous pic of my old Riv. Unfortunatly this old Kodak 110 pic is the only one I have left of it. :(

My riviera

Thanks for the pics.  Stuff like this is immensely helpful for nailing down all the engine bay details.  It looks like setting up the headlight assemblies will be one of the biggest challenges to resolve.   Love the pic of that Riviera too.  My first car was a '72 Skylark that looked almost exactly like this, but without the sunroof option.

skylark.jpg.8f05c3c7f326a5fde6bf57430b984eef.jpgThis may sound like a lame question, but have you found a hobby paint that's really close to Buick engine red?

• 9 months later...

On a semi-related note, how similar are the X-frames from both '63 and '66 Rivieras? I have an original AMT '63 with the promo style chassis (bad), and would like to use the modern-era AMT '66 Riviera chassis, suspension, and engine (good) if there aren't any major obstacles to doing just that. 

*edit* Hmm, the wheelbase grew from 117" to 119" between '63 and '66...not considering that a major obstacle.

Edited by Casey

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

On a semi-related note, how similar are the X-frames from both '63 and '66 Rivieras? I have an original AMT '63 with the promo style chassis (bad), and would like to use the modern-era AMT '66 Riviera chassis, suspension, and engine (good) if there aren't any major obstacles to doing just that. 

*edit* Hmm, the wheelbase grew from 117" to 119" between '63 and '66...not considering that a major obstacle.

Casey I have been giving this a thought for several years. Not sure if  have the skill or patients.  Not the same but light years ahead of the old school bottom plate style. 

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Casey, the '66 kit suspension compares well with these pics I found of a stock '63. The floor pans look a little bit different and of coarse the gas tank area is completely different. It should be a pretty easy job to swap out the tank area. Might be able to fudge the rear suspension placement enough to make up for the 2 scale inch difference.

1963 Buick Riviera

1963 Buick Riviera

1963 Buick Riviera

1963 Buick Riviera

And here's a link to the web page with more pics.

https://americanclassicsandhotrods.com/vehicles/128/1963-buick-riviera

Edited by Can-Con

On 11/7/2018 at 4:31 PM, Can-Con said:

Casey, the '66 kit suspension compares well with these pics I found of a stock '63. The floor pans look a little bit different and of coarse the gas tank area is completely different. It should be a pretty easy job to swap out the tank area. Might be able to fudge the rear suspension placement enough to make up for the 2 scale inch difference.

Thanks, Steve. :)

Here's an underside shot of both the AMT '63 and '66 Rivieras, showing the fuel tank difference Steve mentioned:

IMG_20181110_132107.thumb.jpg.832a9e99788cae1db74d527a9e4051fe.jpg

Edited by Casey