Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobbico - BANKRUPT!

Email just received from Free Time Hobbies: 

Status of Revell Products

We have been getting several emails and phone calls concerning the status of Revell products, in particular the new PT-109 pre-orders.

Revell was recently sold and Revell USA (Monogram) and Revell Germany are in the process of being combined into one company which will be located in Germany.  When this happened all Revell product shipments stopped. 

We did receive our first, small, shipment of PT-109 kits (which is why some customers have received the product) but of the hundreds we bought, we only received a few dozen to begin with. 

Our second (of several) shipments, that was stopped, has started moving again and we should receive it in the next week or two and we will continue to fulfill pre-orders. We can not, at this time, guarantee how many we will be getting on this next shipment. We will fill pre-orders in the order they were placed until all pre-orders are filled.

If you have not pre-ordered one, please do so but understand that it might not be filled until after the new Revell company is completely set up.  From what we understand, these next few shipments that are headed to us (and the rest of the USA) will be the last Revell product that is available for several months until the new company is completely set up for business.

Thank you for your understanding.

I noticed that Model Roundup has changed the month on upcoming Revell reissues to 'TBD'... so things will probably quiet for a while.   I'm not worried, plenty coming out in the next few months from Aoshima, Fujimi and Hasegawa (and Round 2) to keep me happy...

Edited by Rob Hall

Keep in mind this distribution situation ONLY affects North America because in the closure of Hobbico & Revell USA the German arm lost it's importer. But everywhere else in Europe and Asia business and kit shipments continue as normal because those distribution deals were between RevellAG and those distributors directly without an Illinois middleman.

So if it all comes from Germany now then it will cost more as Revell of Germany product were always higher priced than the Revell USA kit's Even if they were the same car ect in a different box. I found the '05 Impala police car on scale hobbyist  (ROG Copy) list price $39.95 sale price of $31.95 while the Revell USA copies are under $20.00 on Amazon, Ebay and a few other vendors!

40 minutes ago, ranma said:

So if it all comes from Germany now then it will cost more as Revell of Germany product were always higher priced than the Revell USA kit's Even if they were the same car ect in a different box. I found the '05 Impala police car on scale hobbyist  (ROG Copy) list price $39.95 sale price of $31.95 while the Revell USA copies are under $20.00 on Amazon, Ebay and a few other vendors!

Don't sound the alarm just yet, nothing has been announced regarding distributing Revell products in the US. Good chances they will have a warehouse or some form of distribution here in the US, makes financial sense to do so.

1 hour ago, ranma said:

The ROG Impala Snapper police car did have one big change from the Revell kit:  a nice, real decal sheet with markings for a Canton, OH police car.  (The original Revell kit only had stickers.)  Not too long ago, in its last big kit sale, Ollie's sold the original Revell kit for $7.99. 

11 hours ago, slusher said:

If Revell kits go up then l will be a buying AMT models...

It's all relative. If you live in Europe, you might do the reverse. I was checking out an email from SpotModel. They're taking preorders for AMT1100, the '57 Chrysler 300C. 39.99 Euros or 47 bucks.

Sadly Some of us here don't have a vast amount of kit's stashes to work with. The Hobby is gone from the common man's hobby to a Rich person's , And just like the 1:1  it has become a big money wealthy person's thing. I for one don't have a stash to work from What i build is what I have bought the month I buy it. The Hobby takes some deep pockets these day's

4 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

It's all relative. If you live in Europe, you might do the reverse. I was checking out an email from SpotModel. They're taking preorders for AMT1100, the '57 Chrysler 300C. 39.99 Euros or 47 bucks.

Indeed, more then double the price from 2001, for what....new improved decals and better tires...while Revell sells their all new kits for €25.00 (RG) or €33 (R-M)

My regional hobby kit source told me yesterday that his kit distributor told him that the first kit that will come through under the new Revell Germany ownership is essentially identical in content to the prior Revell (USA) release, but  the retail price will be just above $40. 

He also told me that the new wholesale kit price (what he pays for the kit before putting it on his retail store shelves) will essentially increase to what the retail price (the price you paid for the kit) was in the past.  This source is usually very reliable and I have no reason to doubt what he told me.  Needless to say, he also has doubts as to how this revised pricing structure is going to go over in the hobby marketplace, if it turns out to be true.  

TIM

That doesn’t sound ideal, but maybe it’s just an interim solution until US distribution is established later in 2018/2019? 

That said, I still might buy a ‘69 Boss with revised nose at that price. Maybe Italian Cartograf decals will be included in all Revell kits now? Hopefully.

Thanks for the info, Tim. 

56 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

My regional hobby kit source told me yesterday that his kit distributor told him that the first kit that will come through under the new Revell Germany ownership is essentially identical in content to the prior Revell (USA) release, but  the retail price will be just above $40. 

He also told me that the new wholesale kit price (what he pays for the kit before putting it on his retail store shelves) will essentially increase to what the retail price (the price you paid for the kit) was in the past.  This source is usually very reliable and I have no reason to doubt what he told me.  Needless to say, he also has doubts as to how this revised pricing structure is going to go over in the hobby marketplace, if it turns out to be true.  

TIM

Not real encouraging and I suspect that if it does come to be, places like Hobby Lobby will be the only place to buy a kit with the 40% off coupon being one way to ease the pain.

It will have me re-thinking impulse purchases of Revell kits for parts, that is for sure. I have no problem paying a bit more for a kit that is all new tooling but for something that has been around for 25 years (like a '69 Camaro), I think they will see some push back by the hobby. I could see raising prices to cover their costs if there was a huge cost to purchase the Revell line, but we all know they got a relative bargain.

It will be interesting to see what Round 2 and Moebius do with their kit pricing.

19 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

will be interesting to see what Round 2 and Moebius do with their kit pricing.

Sure bet!! .......like your local gas station....."One "    raises price....They..."ALL" will !!!

I find the best prices are at swap meets/ shows.  most of the latest round 2 kits I've bought have been from meets, $39 retail kits for $18 at the swap meet/show. so, if the revell prices get jacked up on the retail side, hit the shows for bargains.

There are currently over 120,000 models for sale on eBay - including some newer Revell models (Fireball Roberts 57 Ford) for as little as $9.99 - this is not a rich man’s hobby, unless your desires are more expensive than your means, which is true with any endeavor. 

I’d give the hobby a solid 30 years just recycling all the kits filling hobby shop shelves and basements now...

Over here everything is imported and a regular Revell US model kit costs around 300-400 Swedish Kronor retail wich is around  35-46 US Dollar, and the Revell AG kits are about the same on the higher side, so there are not a big difference in prices...but they vary a lot.
They will kill themselves in time if they price the kits too high, no one will buy them or buy fewer of them.
On the other hand...many complains on the pricing of styrene kit when they are under 30 Dollars but buy a resin kit for 70-100 Dollar is fine...a little strange huh. :rolleyes:

Edited by Force

4 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

As long as I enjoy building the kit and it's a good kit. I will quickly forget what I paid for it.

You ain't kiddin'! I just paid some super big bucks the other day for a long wanted grail. Now when I'll build it is anyone's guess, but it's a kit of a car I've wanted for many years now, and it's FINALLY in my stash! I'm not even thinking about what I paid..........just marveling looking at it as it's one of my favorites.

What is this kit you might be wondering?? Model Factory Hiro's 1963 Ferrari 330 LMB.......one of my all time favorite road racers of the '60's. ;)

18 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

You ain't kiddin'! I just paid some super big bucks the other day for a long wanted grail. Now when I'll build it is anyone's guess, but it's a kit of a car I've wanted for many years now, and it's FINALLY in my stash! I'm not even thinking about what I paid..........just marveling looking at it as it's one of my favorites.

What is this kit you might be wondering?? Model Factory Hiro's 1963 Ferrari 330 LMB.......one of my all time favorite road racers of the '60's. ;)

I know. I have the MFH Cobra Daytona 427 Super Coupe. I open in on occasion and just stare at it!