Model Cars Magazine Forum

2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Jhedir6

This is going to be a quick build, I hope. 

Revell's new Panamera, Scale Finishes Porsche Dark Blue Metallic. Decals and clear to follow later tonight after work, if I have a better night than last night.

Sorry for the bad back drop, still rearranging things.

2v2JvM8ygxAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2JvMM9qxAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

Interior will be some various shades of grey.

Wheels will be from Hobby Design.

I like what I'm seeing. I've got one too. Mine seems to need a fair bit of panel line deepening and sink hole filling around the rear end, rear wing, and lift back. I'm gathering you did a fair bit of body work to get the paint smooth.

Ben

5 hours ago, Bennyg said:

I like what I'm seeing. I've got one too. Mine seems to need a fair bit of panel line deepening and sink hole filling around the rear end, rear wing, and lift back. I'm gathering you did a fair bit of body work to get the paint smooth.

Ben

Thanks Benny. Mine wasnt too bad. I've heard and seen some pics of some pretty bad bodies, guess I was lucky. The panel lines are a little shallow, but not bad, I didnt scribe mine other than to clean out sanding dust. For sanding I've switched to Tamiya sanding sponges over sand paper. The sponges conform to the body and dont leave flat spots like paper can. I just scuffed it up with some 600 grit then primed. I hit the primer with some 1500 grit then painted. Pretty happy with how it came out so far. Going to get to wrapping this one up over the weekend along with my 2 AMG's I have going while I watch the Dubai 24hrs.

3 minutes ago, kelson said:

I wanted to buy this kit,but the reviews seem to be pretty mixed,so now i'm not sure,what are your impressions of it so far?.

The body is or can be awful. I got lucky, like I stated above, it wasnt too bad. The blue is weird, not sure why the molded it in blue, you cant even leave it, it's got some weird swirls in the colour. The detail of the kit is actually very nice. The chassis is super simple, but that's not really an issue since how often do you display your cars upside down. The wheels look bad. I've already swapped them out for a set of HD's. The kit tires are actually pretty nice tho. There's like 6 different styles on the car and they picked the worst ones imo. It's got a full engine, simple only like 6 parts but decently detailed but its 100% hidden on the finished car, they could of saved the money on tooling that and done a good job on the worst part of the kit, the brake disc. They're pathetic. The calipers looks ok, but the discs are blah. I'll post a pic up in a bit of how bad they are before I paint them. I might add some PE discs over top if I can find some left overs that fit. 

It's not a fabulous kit, but its decent. I paid $42 CDN shipped for mine so its in the acceptable range to me. Other's may feel different. 

No update for today, too much going on but I'm off on the weekend and will push to wrap this one up.

For now a mock up of the HD Monza wheels. I'll have to modify the mounting points to fit the stock suspension.

2v2JUwvRLxAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

And a shot of the weak brake rotors. Very disappointing. I'm going to try and find some PE discs to cover them up since the HD wheels are more open than the stock wheels.

2v2JUwv7CxAcGTn.jpgHosted on Fotki

More tomorrow. Thanks for looking in.

5 hours ago, Bennyg said:

Hi David, could you take pictures of your suspension modifications? Thanks in advance.

Ben

Yep. Easy. I glued the kit parts in the spots the instructions said to. I just set the HD wheels in place without the interior hub pieces. I'll glue them in place on final assembly but they're nearly a perfect fit to the rotors without the inside hub piece. 

4 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Yep. Easy. I glued the kit parts in the spots the instructions said to. I just set the HD wheels in place without the interior hub pieces. I'll glue them in place on final assembly but they're nearly a perfect fit to the rotors without the inside hub piece. 

Cheers David. I've ordered rakes and wheels from a Ukrainian company. Form what you've said, you don't need to adjust the height of the suspension.

Ben

• 5 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Bennyg said:

Any updates? 

Ben

Sorry no. The wheels I mocked up actually belong to another project and I had modified them slightly but I like them so much I ordered another set to use on the Porsche. They just arrived on Friday so I need to get them cleaned up and painted. I did not adjust anything on the suspension. I will likely get the interior primed and painted tomorrow and start on the detailing of it in the afternoon. I'm decaling the body and will clear it, along with another project tonight.

9 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Sorry no. The wheels I mocked up actually belong to another project and I had modified them slightly but I like them so much I ordered another set to use on the Porsche. They just arrived on Friday so I need to get them cleaned up and painted. I did not adjust anything on the suspension. I will likely get the interior primed and painted tomorrow and start on the detailing of it in the afternoon. I'm decaling the body and will clear it, along with another project tonight.

No worries. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Ben

I saw a nice article recently which showed how to use photos of brake disks to detail blah parts like these.  Of course I can't remember where, but it was pretty straightforward, sizing the images in a photo manipulation program (I use GIMP).  PE would look better, but these weren't bad at all.  Found it!  Our own Gregg Hutchings in MCM issue 178.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12-1-2018 at 12:29 AM, Jhedir6 said:

No update for today, too much going on but I'm off on the weekend and will push to wrap this one up.

For now a mock up of the HD Monza wheels. I'll have to modify the mounting points to fit the stock suspension.

2v2JUwvRLxAcGTn.jpg

Wow they did a horrible job on the brakes, just look at how off center they are! yuck!

50 minutes ago, JeroenM3 said:

Wow they did a horrible job on the brakes, just look at how off center they are! yuck!

The brakes are fine....well the detail on them blows, but in the pic, I just have the HD wheels set into the opening in the brakes. The spacer that's included in the kit isnt installed. The car moved likely when I was setting it up for the shot, it's was just to see how I liked the look of the HD wheels. The ones in the pic are for another project, and since I liked the look I ordered another set. I'm hoping to get some painting/building done this week. I havent accomplished much the past two weeks due to a really bad stomach flu.