Model Cars Magazine Forum

source for aftermarket jeep honcho grill needed

4 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Not sure one exists Jeff, but given the recent re-issue, maybe someone will offer one. Is there a specific year you are looking for or just an upgrade over what is in the kit?

I don't know much about honchos but would like grill with vertical bars if possible...would settle for upgrade over kit grill. pe grill would be fantastic.   ive seen a comment on some board citing a source but don't remember ?

1 hour ago, jeffdeoranut said:

I don't know much about honchos but would like grill with vertical bars if possible...would settle for upgrade over kit grill. pe grill would be fantastic.   ive seen a comment on some board citing a source but don't remember ?

There is a person making an old Jeep Wagoneer resin kit that has the vertical style grille. I will try to find the information and get it to you.

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Jeff,

Ron Andrews at RMR Models (www.rmrmodels.com) offers a Jeep Wagoneer kit and supposedly the grille can be had separately from the kit.  His email address is andrews_544@hotmail.com. 

Good Luck!

thanks...ive bought from him before...didn't know if he sold grills seperately

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 9:25 PM, oldcarfan said:

Definitely like to see a backdate kit to turn it into a 1964-ish Jeep Gladiator Townside or even the Thriftside.

That's exactly what I'd like to see, kinda was hoping that re-issue would have that as new parts, oh well I think it's scratch building time again!

On 1/12/2018 at 11:10 AM, Junkman said:

It would take so much work to get the entire front end right, that scratchbuilding it is probably the easier option.

^This. Once you get into the details of the kit and start thinking about making corrections, you quickly realize there's a lot of work to be done.

I doubt we'll ever see an aftermarket Gladiator grille for this kit, as the grille is just one piece needed to backdate the nose. Even just taking the grille into account, it's more than most people would ever think about tackling. It could be done properly, but would most people be willing to pay for the effort necessary to create a correct grille?

The resin and photo are different years of Wagoneer. The resin body has side marker lights making the body 1968 or newer, the photo does not have marker lights so is 1967 or older. I don't know these Jeeps that well, but a quick search looks like the narrow grill ended 1965-66 so the body and grill don't match regardless of the number of slats. Is the Honcho kit known to have shape issues? I know the grill is quite simple as is the kit, but it seems like they mostly got the look right.

Another option for the Honcho kit would be a Kaiser M-715, popular for a time with fire departments for use as brush trucks. I have plans to go that route with a couple.

M715_Jeep.jpg

• 4 years later...