Model Cars Magazine Forum

2007 Shelby Mustang GT-500

CarModDave

Just finished this one up yesterday.

HoK Galaxy Gray with airbrushed "true fire" stripes and swapped the over-sized kit rolling stock for some Pegasus T's. Also added some SMS CF decals on the interior, radiator support and rear valance/front spoiler. Other than that, it's a box-stocker!

Mustang1.jpg

Mustang13.jpg

Mustang14.jpg

Mustang18.jpg

Mustang34.jpg

Mustang8.jpg

Mustang10.jpg

Mustang9.jpg

MustangBuild17.jpg

In the chassis pic, you can see the HUGE rear tubs for the kit tires to tuck into. I added some aluminum tubing to extend the rear "axles":

Mustang24.jpg

Edited by CarModDave

Dave, this thing is so cool I shot Jada an email. Sent a link to one of your pictures too. I haven't heard anything ,but I hope someone from their site looks at it and sees the kind of work being done with their kits.

Basically hoping they can continue to pump out some plastic and be a contender.

Your build really is something to look at. Great artistic work.

Chris

Dave, this thing is so cool I shot Jada an email. Sent a link to one of your pictures too. I haven't heard anything ,but I hope someone from their site looks at it and sees the kind of work being done with their kits.

Basically hoping they can continue to pump out some plastic and be a contender.

Your build really is something to look at. Great artistic work.

Chris

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Chris. I guess I should even drop 'em a note, telling them how much I enjoyed the kit. It's not got a lot of parts, but what's there is pretty nice. And it just fell together.

I'm glad you enjoyed the end result!

Great job, I wasn't a fan of "real fire" until seeing it on your stripes. Too often a new technique, like chrome "paint", multi-color flip-flop pearls, and real fire are overused, applied to the entire car. I prefer the subtle approach, using that kind of stuff in moderation...just like this car shows. Bravo ;)

These Jada Shelbys are a blast. Revell needs to watch their back!

This is a mental car, it is a bad looking car! :lol: Love the realistic flames too. Love the wheels and stance is perfect. :lol:

ABSOLUTLY love the carbon fibre work, it is perfect and that exhaust discoloration is beautiful, I want to do that so bad!

How did you do the exhaust and did you paint the flames on first then just painted over that then masked the stripes? :blink::P How do you get the carbon fibre decals to lay down and look so good! :lol:

Edited by Nick F40

This is a mental car, it is a bad looking car! :lol: Love the realistic flames too. Love the wheels and stance is perfect. :D

ABSOLUTLY love the carbon fibre work, it is perfect and that exhaust discoloration is beautiful, I want to do that so bad!

How did you do the exhaust and did you paint the flames on first then just painted over that then masked the stripes? :P:huh: How do you get the carbon fibre decals to lay down and look so good! ;)

Once again guys, thanks a lot for all of the comments.

Nick - I hope the following answers your questions:

* For the exhaust weathering, I used the Tamiya "Master Weathering Set D". It has 3 different colors for exhaust weathering:Burnt Blue (for scorched metal look)

Burnt Red (for scorched metal look)

Oil Stain (for realistic brownish-gray oil stain color). Here's a link to a how-to from Tamiya, complete with videos:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/870...ering/index.htm

* The body was first painted the Galaxy Gray then the stripes were masked and sprayed black. While the rest of the body was still taped off and the black stripes were dry, I applied the flames.

* I almost always have problems with CF decals and the final ones on the Mustang were the 2nd or 3rd attempt! I just apply a bit of Solva-Set and low heat from a hair dryer to help them to snug down around the area(s).

Any other questions, just ask away.

Hey Bill.

I believe they are #2301, 23" "Chrome T's", with tires (I painted the centers Tamiya Gun Metal).

HTH

Thanks Dave...

I thought I had some of those on hand. Though I have a box full of wheels and tires of all description I don't have those. I've got the smaller 19s I believe but no 23s.

Very nice Mustang. I always judge a model by one simple rule. Would I like to display that model and proudly say, "I built that"? Always works for me.

BC