Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '78 GMC 4x4 Pickup

Casey

Looks to be a reissue of the Monogram "High Roller" GMC pickup, right down to the (all one direction) Ground Hawg tires. I'm guessing the tan and grey areas will be decals, and you'll need to paint the body an olive color to get the full camo effect. Instructions can be viewed here: http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-7226.pdf

Rev78GMC4x4.jpg

Rev78GMX4x41.jpg

Edited by Casey

I have the original High Roller version, that I bought new. Not sure if it had the rifle rack or not. I do know that the rifles were a common part in other issues of this tool. (Chevrolet) Note that this kit retains the goofy '63 Vette style Fuel Injection. A quick (if spendy) fix is to get the intake and Air Cleaner from the '77 Chevy Van. It is close to a drop fit replacement. I wish Revell would re-issue the Step Side Chevy version of this kit.

41 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Oh and Casey, fix the thread title, it's 1/24 scale! :P

-_-

The gun rack/rifles were included in the High Roller version.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Never had the High Roller version...so basically the same GMC pickup as is out now w/ the snow plow, but without the snow plow and bigger tires, different suspension, maybe a few other different parts? 

Longer leaf spring shackles (which are one solidly molded rectangular block) for tire clearance, the larger diameter Ground Hawg tires, outer wheels with a unique lip to fit the tires, and the decals. Here's a good look at the High Roller GMC's instructions: http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/monogram-instructions/monster-trucks--pullers/monogram-gmc-jimmy-/?view=roll#4

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Supposed to be out this month, check with the online sellers or your LHS.

It's supposed to be a January 2018 release, so last week of January for RPP shops, early February in most other places.

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

-_-

The gun rack/rifles were included in the High Roller version.

Longer leaf spring shackles (which are one solidly molded rectangular block) for tire clearance, the larger diameter Ground Hawg tires, outer wheels with a unique lip to fit the tires, and the decals. Here's a good look at the High Roller GMC's instructions: http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/monogram-instructions/monster-trucks--pullers/monogram-gmc-jimmy-/?view=roll#4

It's the same wheel/tire/suspension set up from the Mad Mudder Blazer from about 10 years ago. The box art makes the truck look like it has slab sides but they nailed the look of the front of the truck.

Not sure if I will get one of these, the current AMT/MPC Deserter truck is a better kit (IMO) but who knows, if it shows up at Hobby Lobby and I can score one for 40% off....

6 minutes ago, dieseldawg142 said:

don't understand how they can have some good models and so horribly screw up the chev/gm trucks.....

What did Revell "screw up" on this kit? Yeah, it's simplified in typical late '70s/early '80s Monogram fashion, but not much has changed on any of the Monogram 1/24 Chevy/GMC kits since they were new, other than Revell adding new decals, a newly tooled snowplow assembly, and new boxes.

2 hours ago, 426 pack said:

I will be getting one of these. I have a revell snowplow gmc and want to put the 2 together and make a crewcab long box.

Dieseldawg is correct, use the Deserter for the crew cab conversion, easier and better looking. If you don't want to do the box conversion, MAD models has a resin long bed for $15.

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

Dieseldawg is correct, use the Deserter for the crew cab conversion, easier and better looking. If you don't want to do the box conversion, MAD models has a resin long bed for $15.

I wouldn't try combining the 1/24th snowplow kit w/ the 1/25th Deserter..

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

It's a Monogram-origin kit, not Revell.

5 hours ago, dieseldawg142 said:

where do you want me to start? sorry, not one of revel's better ones imo I figured after all the horrible gm trucks revell has foisted on us, they could have maybe fixed a few of the glaring probs in one of these recent re-issues...dropped the ball...screwed up...whatever you would like to call it...

As Rob and I mentioned, this kit originated in '78 or so from Monogram, so to blame Revell 40 years later for some design shortcomings seems a bit silly. I agree, this kit is far from perfect, but keeping Cale's stated plan in mind, the separate bedsides are a huge advantage IMHO. This kit has its warts like many other 40 year old kits, so consider it a solid starting point, and it'll be up to the builder to decide just how far they want to run with it.

I guess this all just points out how badly needed an all-new '73-'86 GM pickup kit is. -_-

Edited by Casey