Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '78 GMC 4x4 Pickup

Casey

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:01 PM, Casey said:

I guess this all just points out how badly needed an all-new '73-'86 GM pickup kit is. -_-

I agree. Moebius are you listening? AMT dropped the ball with the square doors when they surely had  a chance in the mid 70's to cover the most popular pickup in America. 

9 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The "problem" with this kit is, that it designed as a toy, just like many automotive kits from the '70s, it was a low point in the model kit industry, with many going bankrupt, or just able to stay afloat, so tooling dollars were scarce and kits had to be, low entry level, low price to appeal to the largest interest group possible, in an era where Pickups and Vans were king!

In the late '80s automotive kits started to get more sophisticated, but still a compromise to please both the casual, as the more serious modelers, today we see smaller model companies surfacing who mostly cater to the serious modeler, a trend I believe will continue in the foreseeable future, as kids in general are not interested in building stuff, while parents are over protective (kids handling knifes and toxins like paint and glue?)

In a nutshell it would take too much investment to upgrade the tooling for this kit, that

A ) you will never recoup the investment, thus taking a loss

B ) Tooling up an all new kit will cost a bit more, but in 1/25th scale will perform much better and development costs can be spread, not only because there are many siblings possible '73-86 Blazer, Suburban, C/K series step and fleetside, but also in 1/35th (military modelers) and 1/48th (airplane modelers) scale some versions, can be co-designed cuz in the early '80s these trucks (M1008) were also used by US military forces around the globe, I remember them well when I was stationed in Germany back in '87.

IMHO something which could be done as a co-production between Revell Germany (they have 1/35th military model kits) and Revell USA.

Chevrolet_Blazer_1009_%281984%29_owned_by_Marcel_Brunner_pic2.JPG

But anyway....take this kit for what it is, a simple slum-buster which look neat on the shelf, no more no less.

Happy modeling!!

:D

I think this would be a potential market for several trucks, Kaiser Jeep M715 (Honcho), Dodge M880 (Dodge W200), Chevy M1008 (K30) and M1009 (K5 Blazer). Revell already has the foundations for most of these in their line up, and the 1-1s have grown a fairly large following. I'm sure there are plenty of casual modelers who were in the military 1968-2000 that might not normally build a car or truck, but would grab one of these to build a model of something they drove while serving. There would probably be some crossover from military modelers, not all are committed to one scale.  

21 hours ago, Casey said:

Weird. Maybe Revell revised the tires at some point? I have an older set of Ground Hawgs and after looking at the instruction sheet on the Revell website, it looked like the tires haven't changed. The inner sidewall, where the wheel back rest inside the tires, is noticeably thicker/deeper than the same area on the outer sidewall. Has that changed?

21 hours ago, hpiguy said:

Correct, one side is much thicker and the driver side fits correctly as it should.
But you can get the passenger side over the rim and it holds fine and doesn't cave or suck in on the inside of the rim either.   It's not made to fit that way, but it does in the case of needing it to sit right because it's directional tread.

Actually, and Chris I'm sorry for pointing this out to you because your build looks great, but Casey look a little harder at the FIRST part of step #6. 

5a80aca76aa33_Screenshot(39).png.bbd6e2903afda2a91415b9c22e5f2a97.png

Even in the older kits, this has been a trick to make the old tires with the lettering face in the proper direction, you just either had to remove the molded in lettering or live with "Ground Hawg" only being on the driver's side. Now with no lettering Revell finally suggests removing the inner webbing to fix their mistake of not having the tires correct years ago. 

Yup, I used the predecessor to the Deserter, the Fall Guy kit, to make a commercial version of the CUCV, a 1985 K3500 with a proper 8 foot box, correct Dana 60 front axle, 14 bolt GM rear, correct interior, and dual tanks, and tons of other details. LOVE the square bodied GM's!!!

cc-vi.jpg

aa-vi.jpg

bb-vi.jpg

Edited by redneckrigger

Yeah Dan, I absolutely love the square bodies..........................! I've had many trucks in my life, but the one I still kick myself for getting rid of is the '85 K3500. There's just something about those looks! And, I, like you, have several squares in the works...............a 1984 K3500 with a Holmes 475T body, (again a replica of one I had), a short bed, and a CUCV, eventually!

• 1 month later...