Model Cars Magazine Forum

****Mecum auction****

NYLIBUD

I enjoy watching Mecum and often go into their web site to see what is being offered and what something has sold for. In the real world if someone including myself were looking for a late model German import this would be the place to go. I sold my '95 Chevy X-Cab 2wd pick up at the Kansas City Auction several years ago and even after commissions I walked away with a lot more than the dealer was going to give us in trade on the new Dodge we had ordered.  

There are still deals to be had at these auctions (usually not during prime TV time though). I like to look at the prices after the auctions have ended each day. The promoters know which cars to run across the block when the TV cameras are on.

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

There are still deals to be had at these auctions (usually not during prime TV time though). I like to look at the prices after the auctions have ended each day. The promoters know which cars to run across the block when the TV cameras are on.

You should go into Mecum's Web site and see the different prices charged to have your car or truck hit the auction block on different days and hours. They usually start off lowest on the first day and it goes up later in the day toward TV time. Saturday or the last day is the most expensive especially toward the prime time on TV. They have a basic charge and a percentage of selling price charged to the seller and a percentage charged to the buyer. This is why you will sometimes see them offer a reduced percentage to the seller if they will remove the reserve on the price. This is usually done on higher priced cars since they are already getting a high base price from the seller and a couple of percent doesn't make that much difference in the overall transaction since the selling price and the buyers commission still gives them a good profit and they can brag about the sell thru rate to potential sellers.  

My customer MS Classic Cars is heading out to Jackson tomorrow. They came in and got some emergency gear for the ride. They are bringing 10 cars and a couple I got to take a spin in. The manual 69 Camaro and the gold 67 GTO are standouts.

They have been going for 3 years now and they sell out every time. Of course they bring really nice stuff.

I was checking this morning on the sell thru prices at Mecum Kissimmee. Some great buys and some stupid money on others. The thing I notice is the so so cars on EBay try to follow the auction prices. The problem is the cars the sellers are offering on EBay aren't even close to the quality of the Auction cars.