Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jet Rod Community Build

Daxman

Hello again! Your Rocketwagen looks nice and that second bug is also coming along nicely in a classic cruiser style.

My jet rod 37 ragtop Chevy project has suffered from too little time to build these days but maybe some day..

I have began to think if those scratchbuild engines I made are too big for 37 ragtop so it might be possible to get a bigger car for this project.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm in.  I think.  Feeling a little wishy-washy about it all, since I've not done one of these before.

I started digging through the stash of broken, abandoned, and otherwise pitiful kits.  I'm thinking one of these former disasters may lend itself to the project.  Currently, I'm leaning with either the Mustang or the Porsche; Then again, perhaps the Alternomad might be a good candidate.    Stay tuned, I hope ...

Ford Candidate - Probably not ...

ford.jpg

The Mustang seems like a worthy candidate, and given it's proportion issues (old Revell kit), maybe I should start here.

mustang.jpg

But then again, the old Porsche could be a good starting point - albeit the broken A pillars may be an issue.   Or maybe not.

porsche.jpg

I bought this behemoth for parts, but it looks kind of "spacey".  The Alternomad.

alternomad.jpg

And this glue-bomb of an Aerovette.   I'm currently leaning away from this one.

astrovette.jpg

So, this has, so far, been an exercise in indecision.  :P

Alan, Rob - Thanks for the input.  I love the idea of the AlterNomad as a contender!  But....given that I'm wading into uncharted territory (for me, anyway), and that the wagon is huge!, I'm going to attempt to use the mangled Porsche.  I've started fiddling with the interior.  I'm leaning with this bomber-style seat, and I've moved the driver (pilot?) to the right hand side.  The seat and dash are not attached at this point. 

This could end up in the circular bin eventually, but for now, it's fun. :)

img-4910_orig.jpg

On 1/29/2019 at 7:09 PM, Jonathan said:

img-4910_orig.jpg

One thought on this Jonathan, is if the windshield issue becomes a sticking point, make the car backwards. I see you've already started the interior, but the back could be the front and you could just seal up the whole windshield and not mess glass or posts there. That leaves the whole front end to cobble in whatever propulsion you like.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:39 PM, Lunajammer said:

One thought on this Jonathan, is if the windshield issue becomes a sticking point, make the car backwards. I see you've already started the interior, but the back could be the front and you could just seal up the whole windshield and not mess glass or posts there. That leaves the whole front end to cobble in whatever propulsion you like.

I like that idea!

But, I'm already heading this path ... perhaps to disaster, I dunno. :) 

Baby steps.  The car does (mostly) sit over the chassis at this point.  I'm fashioning the jets(?) from some tube styrene and wheels from a junkyard Mini Cooper.   I'm leaning with tinting whatever glass remains in yellow, as a nod to Classic Lego Space; which had a great impact on me as a youngster.

img-4950_orig.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Did a tiny amount of work.  I haven't really been at the bench much lately; and I'm not really sure if I'm liking this thing or not. :)

My thought is to have the front "engines" suspended by some sort of connection back to the front wheel well.   The rear wheel well will probably be boxed in, or maybe something like a fender skirt.  I'm not sure.  The square tubes protruding from beneath the rear are supposed to be the rear exhaust/engine "stuff".   But, I'm  not sure I like that either.  Was thinking I'd put louvers across the entire original engine bay, with some mesh and odds-n-ends beneath that.  The tanks  I found in my spares.   I may abandon this and return to "normal" projects.  :P

img-5015_orig.jpg

Edited by Jonathan

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 7:35 AM, Jantrix said:

Okay. i've been planning one of these for a while. While perusing the junk bins at work, the right parts were there, and now it's gonna happen. Gonna go in a slightly different direction than the rest of you. 

Well I've been in need of a slump buster for a while. This build is now on the bench and it's in full swing. It's based on the AMT '71 Charger. Lots of ideas. Stay tuned.

Well it's a start. Pretty sure the 440 isn't gonna do the job any longer. I'm going to include extended landing gear for this one for the ease of storage and display. Painting this will be different then pretty much everything I have done. Assemble everything, spray silver, mask, spray other colors, weather and detail as necessary. It will be a curbside. No interior or underhood detail.

50147956547_27373141db_c.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Lunajammer said:

I'm really stoked to see this thread kept alive. Subject matter isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I dig this stuff. Love what I'm seeing Jarkko.

agreed.  I need to dig my mess out again and try to make something of it ...

• 2 weeks later...