Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kit would have a good Chevy/GMC 454?

I am looking to build a replica of my 1984 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 service truck (ex Fire Truck). I plan to scratch built the bed and I am using the AMT Wrecker and the 1984 Chevy(Fall Guy truck) to get the parts needed to look right. However, I need a 454. I have looked at Hobbylinc and I can find several with a 409, and tons with a Small block(ie 350 or 327) but no 454(or 366) Big Blocks. 

Can anyone suggest a kit that would have a good 454? I don't care if it has a blower, but as close to stock as possible would be nice, however I will work with what I can get. I just don't want a tiny small block in my truck. 

Good heavens, Big Block Chevy engines aren't rare at all in scale. The one in the Revell Yenko Camaro, a '69 L72 427, is pretty much stock and might be close to your '84 454, though I really have no idea what the latter looks like. Others might have better suggestions. But they're quite common, in several different iterations. 

The AMT 1968 El Camino and 1970 Monte Carlo SS have excellent Mark IV engines with TH-400 trans .

If you want for a Mark IV / 4 speed combo , the Revell kits have beautiful pieces ; the AMT 1970 Baldwin-Motion Phase III Camaro also has a nice 454 (albeit , it's got the Tarantula intake manifold , Cal Customs valve covers , headers , Holley 3 Bbl , and 'Fly Eye' air cleaner ) .

As far as I know no SS 454 Pickup came with 700R4 (later named 4L60-4L60-E), the 1990 model was only available with 3-speed TH 400 and the stronger 4-speed 4L80-E became available for the 1991 model year.

Edited by Force

The SS 454 engine looks undersized to me.  It is as if the modified they used the small block with new heads.  Since it is packed away, I can't dig it out to check with other BBC's.  An 84 would, IIRC, use a TH 400.  There are a lot of BBC engines in kits.  The big consideration is finding the one with the closest intake setup and accessory belts to match your 84

All have offered good suggestions for an engine source. I think the now available reissued Mont Carlo would offer the easiest and most accurate 454 for your application. Depending on the accuracy you're going for there is some small differences between all of the mentioned engines. Any or all of these engines will "work" but there are small details that differentiate them from the OEM engine in your truck. The 454 in a truck application used the low profile intake manifold used in passenger cars such as the Mont Carlo and most other passenger cars equipped with the 454 engine. The exceptions would be high performance engines such as the Chevelles and Novas  of that time. The H.O. engine could be used and a low profile intake substituted and a carb. that would look like a Quadrajet and use the standard cast iron exhaust manifolds. This all depends on what you have available as far as extra parts and if your truck was possibly modified in some way.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I will check out the Monte Carlo. My K30 has the stock (17K original miles) 454 with THM400 and a 203 or 205, the cast iron one.

I did fine that BNL resin has a 454 and they also have the Dana 60s and the transfer case I need. I think I may get the Monte Carlo for the engine and use the rest for another project, would be about the same price as just the engine.

BNL also has the dually wheels that I need.

BTW the Revell Chevy Wrecker is total garbage. The engine is molded as part of the cab, the cab has the visor molded in, the hole is cut for a sun roof, but a crappy plug with lights is in the kit. The chassis is molded with the other half of the engine in it as well as the exhaust. The wheels are junk, the frame is not right and they put a solid 2wd axle in the front, GM never used on in a 1 ton truck, only the larger trucks. On the whole, the kit is really bad and not worth the time or money.

The Amt Deserter however is a great kit and I may buy more in the future.

• 1 month later...