Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fast N Furious '66 Corvette/Motor Max 2017 Camaro

Snake45

I came darn close to buying one of these things at Walmart this morning:

https://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com/lettys-chevrolet-corvette-fast-furious-f8-the-fate-of-the-furious-movie-1-24-diecast-model-car-by-jada/

It's pretty attractive. At first I thought the whole front end had been stretched, but on closer look I think maybe just the front wheels have been moved forward AWB style. The bottom of the body looks too short, but I thought I could fix that with either some scratchbuilt rocker panels or outside exhaust. 

But, being Jada, I was suspicious of the size. It LOOKED 1/24, but then so did the Jada '73 Cuda I bought a couple months ago that turned out to be visibly oversized when placed next to a 1/24 Monogram '71 (maybe more like 1/22 scale?) So I compared it to some other stuff on the shelf. It was pretty much the same size as that '73 Cuda, and pretty much dwarfed an M2 '70 Mustang. The size was the deal-breaker. I walked away. 

Still, I kinda dug the vibe of the whole thing, and if it turns out that the front end IS stretched, I could always rebuild it as an early Funny Car. Maybe next week I won't be able to avoid the temptation. That too-big '73 Cuda might like some company down at the far end of my shelf....

Edited by Snake45

• 1 month later...

I was able to walk away from this three weeks running at Walmart. Just couldn't get over the size. 

In a related story, today Walmart had a Motor Max 2017 Camaro I hadn't seen before. I just finished building the AMT curbside kit, so had a real good fresh handle on the size and shape. It looked REALLY nice except the paint. A bright candy green, it was thin in places and had runs in others. And it would have been impossible to fix or touch up without a complete repaint. If it had been in a nice solid color I'd have bought it, but I walked away. But I'm gonna keep my eye open for a good one in my travels. 

https://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com/2017-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-metallic-green-1-24-diecast-car-model-by-motormax/

I see Diecast Warehouse has them listed in "Burgundy" and blue, too. I suspect they're also "candy" colors and therefore subject to the same flaws as the green one I saw. Not mail/net ordering this one--I want to see it in 3D before I buy.