Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '55 Chevy Nomad & Bel Air Sedan Parts Interchangeability?

Will the AMT '55 Nomad hood, bumpers, dash, headlight and parking light bezels, etc. fit the AMT '55 Bel Air Sedan? Are they the same parts from shared tooling? It looks like the rear bumper on both is sans guards, so I think they are the same?

I believe all those parts will fit. Be advised that the hood will be too narrow, but then the hood in the sedan kit is too narrow, too. I'm gonna build up both sides on mine when I build it. 

The headlight rims (on both) are too think (too long front-to-back) and could stand to be thinned down if you want to make the effort. 

And, on both bodies, the taillight bezels don't mate well with the body. The cut for them ends at the lower corner with almost an angle, whereas the bezels are properly rounded off at that corner. Fill that sharp corner in on your body and you'll avoid the ugly gap visible on just about every one of these I've ever seen built. 

And, if you're building one without the front bumper (the way all '55 Chevies should be), the front pan needs to have most of its "skirt" removed by filing, sawing, sanding, grinding, or whatever. 

Edited by Snake45

Thanks, all. 

Is the windshield the same between both kits, too? Should be slightly different, but maybe they are the same? The Revell '57 Chevy "Black Widow" 150 Sedan's "glass" is a pretty good fit in the AMT '55 Bel Air Sedans body shell, either way.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:05 PM, Snake45 said:

I believe all those parts will fit. Be advised that the hood will be too narrow, but then the hood in the sedan kit is too narrow, too. I'm gonna build up both sides on mine when I build it. 

And, if you're building one without the front bumper (the way all '55 Chevies should be), the front pan needs to have most of its "skirt" removed by filing, sawing, sanding, grinding, or whatever. 

Yeah, I noted the hood issue upon test fitting, and that overly deep front bumper filler panel(s)...shouldn't be an issue. :D