Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC Hornet AMX

David G.

One of my all-time favorite cars that I owned was a 1977 AMX Hornet. So of course, I've wanted to build one for some time. I recently found a suitable model from which to start. 

My goal is to turn this:

5a5aaa051960e_HornetAMX_01.thumb.jpg.5527d2a544cf3910c01bc3a21eaa1dab.jpg

Into this: (Not my photo)

5a5aa9faedac3_HornetAMX_02.jpg.1d6fad7cb8b4a51296d8094a0267de7e.jpg

It's an old Jo-Han promo.

5a5aaa186565e_HornetAMX_04.thumb.jpg.bd5ace981935fb079234a040d75917f7.jpg

5a5aac41169d2_HornetAMX_03.thumb.jpg.607d7aaab8bc739851580f2ec489c5ec.jpg

It'll need some interior modification, so I'd like to disassemble it without breakage. I'm also considering using the body and mounting it to a suitable donor chassis, if there is one.

At this point, I'm still very much in the research and planning phase- collecting parts and information. If there is anyone out there who has experience with these, I would be appreciative of any advice that you could offer.

Thanks ,

David G.

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I'll be watching.....I owned a '77 AMX and it was a cool little car. I also have that same promo......and wheel flairs from a Volaire kit!!!

Ah, a Volaire kit, of course! I was wracking my brain for a source for the flairs. That'll be the most challenging part of this project. 

Thanks for the tip.

Is that Volaire kit still readily available? 

I do have it safely disassembled now and I'm making my parts list. 

Thanks again,

David G.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 7:03 PM, David G. said:

Is that Volare kit still readily available? 

Yes, on the secondary market (eBay) for less than the MSRP when first reissued.

Honestly, I would suggest keeping the promo style chassis plate, and focus on the interior and body. No good late AMC V8 is available, and no good AMC donor chassis, either, so consider how deep you want to dive. Curbside-- it's not a dirty word. ;)

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Yes, on the secondary market (eBay) for less than the MSRP when first reissued.

Honestly, I would suggest keeping the promo style chassis plate, and focus on the interior and body. No good late AMC V8 is available, and no good AMC donor chassis, either, so consider how deep you want to dive. Curbside-- it's not a dirty word. ;)

After looking at my options I agree with you. I'm sure to have enough of a challenge creating the spoilers and flares.

David G.

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Here's to hoping some of the flares are interchangeable-- that would save a bunch of work. :unsure:

The front two flares are integrated into the chin spoiler so each is unique. I believe that the remaining six could be cast from two masters, one left-handed and one right-handed. 

David G.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:05 PM, David G. said:

The front two flares are integrated into the chin spoiler so each is unique. I believe that the remaining six could be cast from two masters, one left-handed and one right-handed. 

Hope so, as that should save a bunch of work.

I love how you can clearly make out the engraved "Hornet" nameplate just rearward of the marker light on the body. JO-HAN had some talented artists engraving those molds back then.

• 1 month later...

Still in the stages of gathering parts?

The Gremlin is basically a Hornet that was rear-ended by King Kong´s fist. The two cars have a lot in common underneath. I have built AMT´s ´76 Gremlin about two years ago and that kit has quite the ton of upgrade potential as I have experienced. I did put some work in it, but that would the case with your build anyways if you want to swap parts. I´ll search for my built Gremlin if interested...it´s stored in a box somewhere. It now has steerable front wheels and a scratchbuilt engine bay. The Gremlin kit could be a starting point...bringing the chassis to the correct length or maybe combining chassis sections of the Gremlin and the Hornet.

EDIT: ...found it...

Inner body structure in front of the firewall is either scratchbuilt or from the parts box. Can someone identify the inner fender wells? I don´t remember where they came from. Maybe from a ´66 Nova Pro Stock kit!?!

20180330_113714.jpg.3485d092005a56e5b0f03d2b3447a00d.jpg

Looking at the pic of your promo-chassis...I´d say the Gremlin parts could do the job for your Hornet. I´d totally try it myself if I had a Hornet promo.

20180330_113737.jpg.e1f161bb5379923286f4a075697028f1.jpg

Edited by 440 6BBL

Thanks for the information Hugo.

I think I'm going to build this as curbside and focus on the interior bits and body features- spoilers and such.

Right now I'm looking for some sport mirrors and AMC bucket seats and center console.

Thanks,

David G.

Interesting Stuff. I'm somewhat surprised by the amount of 1:1 ownership on the forum. 

Looks like your off to a good start on things and I think Curbside is a great option as well, it allows us to focus more clearly. Which in my case is a good thing....

Edited by James2

For the

9 hours ago, Karl Sheffer said:

Check the MPC Pacer kit for decent AMC bucket seats.  The one on the right is a Pacer bucket. The one to the left is one I modified for the 1980 AMX I built.

DSC01570.JPG

Hello Karl, I'm actually working on that MPC Pacer right now so I've already borrowed the seats and steering wheel from it. I was hoping to avoid modifying the seats so I've been searching for old Jeep CJ kits from that era. The old Jeeps should have seats with the proper upholstery pattern, the same center console and possibly an under-dash package shelf to boot.

But the thrill is in the hunt, right?

Thanks again,

David G.