Model Cars Magazine Forum

RIP Dan Gurney, 1931-2018

One of the all-time greats in his field and a real gentleman. I was fortunate enough to see him race both as a driver and then years later as a team boss, and even get a tour of AAR. The game has changed and we won't see the likes of him any time soon. 

Gurney victory

(photo by my Dad - Bridgehampton 1966)

May he rest in peace. First Brock Yates a few years ago (whom I had the pleasure of meeting- very nice guy- I was a little apprehensive about it, but it was like talking to a buddy in no time), and now, this. My Cannonball heroes are now gone. If you ever get the chance- the book by Brock Yates - “Cannonball!” Is a great read and tells the story about how Mr. Yates invited Mr. Gurney to drive with him in the race, Mr. Gurney initially declined, citing sponsor obligations and other concerns, but then at the last minute, joined in, did the race like the true pro that he was, and seemed to enjoy every minute of it. 

I just this week blew apart my old build of his Trans-Am AAR Cuda. I built it in around 1993 and I hope to freshen it up for the first Philly NNL, coming up in a few short months: 

672F1D89-4878-4C98-AC16-ED64E9485C65.jpeg

49ED5A68-E9BB-41F5-A906-9B9E55B06FB8.jpeg

36 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

I read 'Cannonball' last year, a great, fun book to read...and 170 (?) in the Daytona was not bad :) 

May he rest in peace. First Brock Yates a few years ago (whom I had the pleasure of meeting- very nice guy- I was a little apprehensive about it, but it was like talking to a buddy in no time), and now, this. My Cannonball heroes are now gone. If you ever get the chance- the book by Brock Yates - “Cannonball!” Is a great read and tells the story about how Mr. Yates invited Mr. Gurney to drive with him in the race, Mr. Gurney initially declined, citing sponsor obligations and other concerns, but then at the last minute, joined in, did the race like the true pro that he was, and seemed to enjoy every minute of it. 

I just this week blew apart my old build of his Trans-Am AAR Cuda. I built it in around 1993 and I hope to freshen it up for the first Philly NNL, coming up in a few short months: 

Dan was at the Toronto Auto Show many years ago, one of the snowiest days of the year, still showed up on time, signed his name, smiled, chatted. Earlier this evening I followed a link to 'The Henry Ford' where they archive tons of photos, including these B&W from Bahamas, 1960s. 

At the Concours of America in 2016, I had fun explaining the 'Gurney Bump' on the Ford GT :)  

Dan Gurney TIAS 2004.jpg

Sun Concours 2016 0137.JPG

THF134427.jpg

THF134440.jpg

Dan Gurney canam.jpg

Sad to hear of his passing. He is among the finest drivers, and engineers of all time. He always had a gentle smile and very easy way about him. In the late '60's I work for Union Oil Company out of the Colton Ca. Distribution Center. When there was any racing activity at the Riverside Raceway I would be at the "station" in the pits to help with the dispensing of Race Gas for the competitors. He would pass by sometimes and he would acknowledge people with a nod or a smile and was always approachable. The interviews I have seen he always seemed like a very kind person.   

Another boyhood hero lost. The list of racing greats I followed in the sixties and the seventies that have not gone for the final checker is getting mighty slim. From all I've read he was a great racer and engineer. He was a businessman who could operate a racing team for longer than all but a few of his competitors. His Alligator motorcycle design may someday lead to redesign of two wheeled vehicles. Above all of this, his reputation was as a true gentleman.

Long may you run, and God speed.

Yup,just heard,got a text from a friend.That sucks.Two race car legends gone in recent weeks..First drag racing legend,Bob Glidden,a few weeks ago,and now another race car legend,Dan Gurney passes away.He did lead a full life till 86.RIP Dan Gurney.

Sad indeed.  A true hero. 
Ten years ago I built the '68 Gurney Eagle and it still remains one of my best models ever. 

Here is my tribute to Dan Gurney:

and the progress thread on the build:

RIP Dan Gurney!  Thanks for the memories!

• 1 month later...

I just finished reading the Feb.12 issue of Auto Week magazine. There is an interesting article written by Mark Vaughn that has very insightful information about Dan Gurney's career in Motor Sports. This issue also has a Guest Column that is authored by A.J. Foyt about his friendship and racing experiences with Dan Gurney. I thought I would share this information for those who may be interested.