Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors brush paint

Are you using primer as a base coat first ?  If not I think you will find any paint Testors or otherwise just doesn't cover well. If you are using a primer maybe you haven't gotten all of the pigment that settles to the bottom of the bottle mixed in.  

I've noticed it with some colors, some lots, some times. Testor paint was very consistent for decades. Now, it's a crapshoot bottle to bottle. Most are okay--and some are even better than they used to be--but some are barely usable. 

2 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I have also notice the bottles need to be stirred up before every use where years ago it did not need to be,looks like government got to them or they are trying to make them cheaper.

You should do that regardless of the brand before each use because the pigments settle to the bottom. I have always shook mine before every use, and for many years I have BBs that I put in every new jar that acts the same at stirring the paint just like when you shake a rattle can before spraying it.

Because my time at the bench varies and can be a month or more apart, I have found shaking up the paints for a minute or two really helps and I have a old piece of sprue on hand to use as a stirring stick. It helps get the pigments stirred up and gives better consistency when painting.

As also noted, make sure you prime the plastic before painting, it can make a huge difference in appearance and coverage.

20 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I have also notice the bottles need to be stirred up before every use where years ago it did not need to be,looks like government got to them or they are trying to make them cheaper.

All paint needs to be stirred/mixed/shaked up before use, doenst matter what brand , that is just basic paint common sense 101.

23 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I've noticed it with some colors, some lots, some times. Testor paint was very consistent for decades. Now, it's a crapshoot bottle to bottle. Most are okay--and some are even better than they used to be--but some are barely usable. 

20 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Another reason I switched to Tamiya brush paint too. Most Testor's paint, including all of their enamels, are just plain junk.

I have to agree with everything said. Testors is a crapshoot. Some is way too thick and will dry up in the bottle & some are almost "airbrush ready". I have been slowly switching to Humbrol & Tamiya paint & I'm also using more acrylics, too. They dry quicker.

Edited by #1 model citizen

Some people have had a lot of trouble, using that trick of BB's in acrylic paint.  Over time they can rust and do other weird things.  Here's a thread about it from the FSM forums:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/tools_techniques_and_reference_materials/f/18/t/70618.aspx

Just as a fun experiment, I recently painted a body Metallic Blue with a custom mix of Testors Dark Blue and Silver, thinned with Testors Enamel Thinner and shot thru an airbrush.  Both bottles of paint had a price of 35 cents on the caps, so they were OLD.  I often buy kits at flea markets, and they often have old bottles of Testors paint in the box.  I just wanted to see if I could get away with it.  It turned out pretty well, and I hope to finish the build soon.  Around 2025, maybe...

THe BBs I have are aluminum, according to the tube, I think.  I guess that's why the spray cans usually have a glass bead in them?  I keep my acrylics in the house during the winter, since my workspace is in my outside storage building.  The enamles stay down there and haven't lost an unopened bottle yet.   I do try to clean the lid and bottle lip before closing and generally try to "palette" my paint and not use straight from bottle.  Has nothing to do with the OP, but while we're talking paint...

I don't have a local source for Tamiya and have so much on hand, I don't have to buy much.  Can usually plan a trip to Hobby Lobby or the LHS (30 miles) when I need paint.  And I use a lot of touch up paints from auto parts stores for bodies.  I do have a a pint can of enamel flat black (rustoleum?) that works pretty good and will last a looong time.  I try to airbrush a big batch of flat/satin black when I am working.  that is the most commonly used color in my building.  

FWIW : I have a bottle of Tamiya Clear Red bottle paint that's 33 (thirty-three) years old , and it's still good ! Same with a bottle of Gunze Clear Orange ; same age , bought on the same day , and still perfectly good !

I typically avoid buying Testors unless theirs is the only option ( e.g. , their automotive aerosol paints , enamel gloss clear aerosol , engine colours , etc. ) .

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

FWIW : I have a bottle of Tamiya Clear Red bottle paint that's 33 (thirty-three) years old , and it's still good ! Same with a bottle of Gunze Clear Orange ; same age , bought on the same day , and still perfectly good !

I can say the same for some 20(?) tins of Humbrol I bought eons ago at a close out for a dime each! The best buy on the best paint I have ever bought! :) Just wished I had bought more. I was not familiar with the brand at the time or I would have. Lots of those colors are no longer available. :(