Model Cars Magazine Forum

good source for 1/24 spark plug wire

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Yes I am, because the Kynar insulated 30AWG wire to me it doesn't look right in a model of a factory-stock car.  Obviously YMMV.

Well Good thing I didnt use it in a factory stock car then huh?;)

And I could say my opinion it looks just fine in a factory stock car, and neither one of us would be right or wrong, YMMV as well.;)

See, this is the part in which the difference defines us,  you probably do a lot more engine wiring than I do, so you put more importance on the look of the wires then me,  as I do not do very much engine wiring and therefor its not as high up on my important list a it for you.   I simply care about making sure the size is within scale.

I am going to purchase some of the wire that you like to use, and see if I can notice the difference and to see maybe if it does in deed look better or close  to plug wires.

Edited by martinfan5

On January 15, 2018 at 6:28 PM, crazyjim said:

I'll let everyone in on a secret even though it'll kill my business.  Go to ebay and search for 30 ga kynar wire.  I use a guy out of California.  I believe his name is Ping Fong.  He had free shipping on the wire.

Someone above said 30 ga wire will be too thick for factory stock wires.

Is the 30 ga Kynar wire(with insulation) the correct thickness for factory wires?

What (size)wire is good for boot material?

Edited by crowe-t

On 1/23/2018 at 10:08 PM, crowe-t said:

Someone above said 30 ga wire will be too thick for factory stock wires.

Is the 30 ga Kynar wire(with insulation) the correct thickness for factory wires?

What (size)wire is good for boot material?

I mentioned that on the 1st page of this thread. First of all, 30AWG wire is 30AWG wire (the actual wire) and is always 0.010" in diameter.  The overall diameter (with insulation) depends on the type and thickness of the insulation.  The Kynar-insulated 30AWG wire's overall diameter is about 0.016" which to me is too thick for representing a factory-stock ignition wires in 1:24-25 scale models. But others aren'tas picky as I am.  it is your model - do whatever you want. :)