Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilt 1982 Aussie Ford Falcon

ShawnS

Hi everyone.

THE CAR: This is a 1:24 scale build of a 1982 Ford XE Falcon. The XE Falcon was built from early 1982 through to early 1984 and was available in sedan, wagon, ute and van. The XE was Australia's highest selling car at the time and was used as family cars, rentals, company cars, police cars, taxis, and work vehicles as well as race versions. I think that most people in who were in Australia in the 1980's have at least one memory of a XD/XE/XF Falcon. My family had two XE Falcon sedans (my parents owned one and my grand parents had one as well.) and there were others that came and went too. They were available in many trim levels and powered mostly by 3.3 and 4.1 litre 6 cyl engines but some had 302 and 351 V8s.

THE BUILD: For those who haven't seen the WIP thread this one has been on the bench since 2011. It's scratchbuilt from Evergreen sheet and strips then resin cast. The only things that aren't scratch built are the tyres ( from a Tamiya kit) and the wipers are PE (from Aber). This is the first of 3 builds of this car. This is the low detail version. The next build will be of my grand parents car and will have extra detail and the final build will be of the car my parents owned and will be super detailed. This is a base model vehicle with no bells and whistles.

N83X7i.jpg
9OLGp3.jpg
Wgu1RM.jpg
WmtT2X.jpg
YK6byZ.jpg
Oyo9a9.jpg
ZuI6P8.jpg

To be continued.......

Edited by ShawnS

Has been an amazing journey watching you scratch build near on every piece/component. A high level of skill and craftsmanship was showcased during the entire build process and the end results in the above photo's truly justify your dedication and hard work replicating the 1:1. 

Well done Shawn brilliant work mate.

Tried by many but you succeeded and made it to completion,  be proud that is a master piece.

1 hour ago, Cool Hand said:

Has been an amazing journey watching you scratch build near on every piece/component. A high level of skill and craftsmanship was showcased during the entire build process and the end results in the above photo's truly justify your dedication and hard work replicating the 1:1. 

Tried by many but you succeeded and made it to completion,  be proud that is a master piece.

X2.... Just brilliant.

7 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Amazing workmanship :D

I admire not only your craftsmanship but your commitment to this project, documenting in scale a mainstream family car, the kind of vehicle that is often taken for granted by modelers and auto enthusiasts.  The model looks highly realistic in the photos - just amazing and inspiring!

Edited by John Goschke

Thank you everybody for all of your support not just now but over the years.

It sounds strange I know but I didn't have any idea if I would actually ever get one of these darn things finished at all. Sometimes I felt the whole thing was way above my head and that my plans didn't match my skills and I always seemed to make excuses so I could stop working on them. I think that now that I have finished one, the other two don't intimidate me so much and although I have no immediate plans to resume work on the other two I now know what it takes to get on with it. I've had a great build season so far with four completed builds and another three about 85% finished so I'm hoping that it will continue long enough for me to get those other Falcons re-started.

Thanks again,

ShawnS