Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilt 1982 Aussie Ford Falcon

ShawnS

A Perfect Model in everyway. It's called Ford Granada here, and I've been sitting dozens of times in the back seat in one of them when I was a kid.  That car was shiny metallic blue with black vinyl top with a V6 engine. 

Your model is absolutely stunning and I concratulate you for finnishing it after so many years. 

On 1/16/2018 at 1:58 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Finished at last - Congratulations on a magnificent build, Shawn!

Have you had much interest from other folks wanting you to put this kit into production? 

Yeah there has been quite a bit of interest from all around the world. A final decision about if I will sell copies or not won't be made until well after I have finished the last of any intended builds. It kills me to have to tell everyone that because I would love to see what others could do to one, I'm also too busy to do any extensive casting at the moment.

Thanks again everyone

Cheers

ShawnS

Great to see one of these Falcons finally finished. Watching the WIP thread was very interesting and the end result is definitely worth the wait. Simply amazing, don't know what else could I say that hasn't been said already.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 8:22 PM, ShawnS said:

Yeah there has been quite a bit of interest from all around the world. A final decision about if I will sell copies or not won't be made until well after I have finished the last of any intended builds. It kills me to have to tell everyone that because I would love to see what others could do to one, I'm also too busy to do any extensive casting at the moment.

Hi Gavin. My response from this earlier post still stands. Thanks for your interest, I'll add you to the ever increasing list of interested parties.

Cheers

ShawnS

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the most important, the most significant model ever posted on this site, and probably any modelling site.

Why?  Because as a human being with two hands and an active brain, you scratchbuilt an entire car with the most basic of tools and materials to a standard that matches or exceeds most plastic manufacturers.  On top of that, you shared every step along the way, including the problems, the mistakes, the accidents and even the lack of motivation.  The entire build thread was just inspirational.  I first started watching your amazing project on the  Aussie Model Builders site and then was chuffed to see you post here as well so that everyone would see your skills. Thank you for being so gracious as to share this with the modelling world.

The attention to detail in things like the dashboard, the upholstery pattern, the aircleaner, (never mind an entire engine!) and the simple and methodical ways in which you tackled them has given every one of us the greatest text book ever on how to build a model.  Like the great modelling writers, Don Emmons and Tim Boyd, you have made your techniques accessible to all of us.  There wouldn't be one person who read your posts that didn't think at some stage  "That's a great idea, I could do that!"

We could just about adopt a new catch-phrase ;

"What would Shawn do?"

Thank you sir, you make me proud to be Australian!

Cheers

Alan

This is really amazing.  I love seeing scratchbuilt-type projects, especially ones as involved as yours, reach completion. 

One last point I wanted to touch on,

During a time when 3D printing is an option people are turning to for these kind of projects, seeing someone scratch build a car like this is really special.   I don't think I'll ever have the same appreciation for custom 3d printed projects as I do for scatchbuilt projects like what you've done here.

Edited by Top.Secret

On 1/15/2018 at 12:45 AM, Cool Hand said:

Has been an amazing journey watching you scratch build near on every piece/component. A high level of skill and craftsmanship was showcased during the entire build process and the end results in the above photo's truly justify your dedication and hard work replicating the 1:1. 

Well done Shawn brilliant work mate.

Tried by many but you succeeded and made it to completion,  be proud that is a master piece.

Well said,  this is awesome

On 2/4/2018 at 7:56 PM, alan barton said:

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that this is the most important, the most significant model ever posted on this site, and probably any modelling site.

Why?  Because as a human being with two hands and an active brain, you scratchbuilt an entire car with the most basic of tools and materials to a standard that matches or exceeds most plastic manufacturers.  On top of that, you shared every step along the way, including the problems, the mistakes, the accidents and even the lack of motivation.  The entire build thread was just inspirational.  I first started watching your amazing project on the  Aussie Model Builders site and then was chuffed to see you post here as well so that everyone would see your skills. Thank you for being so gracious as to share this with the modelling world.

The attention to detail in things like the dashboard, the upholstery pattern, the aircleaner, (never mind an entire engine!) and the simple and methodical ways in which you tackled them has given every one of us the greatest text book ever on how to build a model.  Like the great modelling writers, Don Emmons and Tim Boyd, you have made your techniques accessible to all of us.  There wouldn't be one person who read your posts that didn't think at some stage  "That's a great idea, I could do that!"

"What would Shawn do?"

Cheers

Alan

Wow thanks Alan it's been my pleasure to bring this project to everyone.

Although I had scratchbuilt parts for other builds I had never even come close to doing things as complex as a lot of the parts for this build so I didn't know if I had it in me to even finish one model. One thing that I did want to get across was that I didn't come into this project as any sort of expert in scratch building and that I was learning along the way so you guys needed to know not just the highs but the mistakes and the feeling of frustration and even burnout that I went through over the years just the same as everyone else does. I think that you guys even taught me a thing or two as well so we all learned together. I didn't originally intend to give so much detailed info about how I went about doing things the way I was doing them but it became apparent that it was important to a lot of you guys that you needed to know and I was more than happy to continue doing it. I think that taking a lot of photos helped me as a builder too as sometimes I could see things in a photo that I couldn't with the naked eye so I had to keep things clean and that snowballs into a cleaner build all round.

Thanks to everyone for your support over the years.

Cheers

ShawnS

@ShawnS

I wasn't sure whether to ask this question here or in your WIP thread.   After seeing this and  the amazing work in your WIP thread I can't help but ask how did you approach making the details onto sections of parts that are hard to find pictures of such as the work you did on the engine or undercarriage.  We're there times you went up to the real car too or had to refer to real life manuals?

Hi Smokey.

I spent many hours searching the web for the best pictures that I could find. There are a few forums that have dedicated Falcon owners who post pictures of their cars and even do their own 1:1 WIP threads too so I was lucky that there are these guys who take pics of their cars when they strip them down. I also searched e-bay for pictures of parts that I was trying to replicate. E-bay provides a wide range of pictures from clean new and re-conditioned parts to whole assemblies that are covered with years of grime. I used an aftermarket workshop manual but it was of limited use as the pictures are very low -res and in black and white. I did also have a PDF of Fords own spare parts manual that came in very handy but I lost that in a computer hard drive crash as well as lots of pics of the build that I didn't save to USB (back up your files kids).

At no stage did I have access to a 1:1 nor did I even attempt to seek one out so its all done from pictures but I was lucky enough to get some measurements from an owner of an XE Falcon that was a great help (thanks Glenn R.I.P.)

I was very fortunate that I found pictures of everything that mattered even though it was frustrating at times.

Hope that answered your questions.

Cheers

ShawnS

On 2/4/2018 at 7:56 PM, alan barton said:

"What would Shawn do?"

Cheers

Alan

Hear Hear. Il back those words, Shawn has made all us Aussie's proud

And yeah "What would Shawn do?"