Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz 357 - FINISHED

I think that was a tough one. Not only cars from the UK in the 50's and 60's or mirco cars from France or cars out of eastern europe looked odd.

This one  has something from a Reliant, a Triumph, a   Ford but it is a car that was manufactured by Rom Carmel Industires in Haifa/Israel. The orignin goes back to Autocars Co. ltd.

It was build from 1974 - 1981  and it was named Rom Carmel 1301. It Features a plastic body and a Trimuph 1296ccm 54 Hp engine

Autoquiz 357.jpg

Edited by carsntrucks4you

12 hours ago, peteski said:

Based on some visual queues I have a feeling I know what part of the world it is from, and if I'm right I don't want to make things easier for everybody. However I don't know the specific make...

I'm with you there, but I haven't been able to link enough of the cues to any one vehicle.

On 16.1.2018 at 6:35 AM, peteski said:

Based on some visual queues I have a feeling I know what part of the world it is from

It sure does have an ugly nose!

That gave me a good laugh!:lol: X2 on both of those sentences. Now I just need to figure out what make it is.

I had no clue. I first tried to peg it to some eastern European manufacturer (it looks like it could be Wartburg 353-based), then thought it might be a stillborn Fiat safety-car prototype (it has proportions not entirely unlike a 131), and then searched all the bizarre safety-car prototypes from everywhere. It never occurred to me it could actually be a production car. Yech. 

Boy was I at a loss on this one!  Never would have thought of the middle east.  The front should have been a giveaway that it was fiberglass.  You are really digging deep to find the last two BU cars.  They have really taken a beating from the ugly stick!

To me it look liked a car from the east and searched for "fibre glass four door car from the east". Saw a small black and white picture with some sports cars in the front and some other cars in the background that looked similar to the one in the photo. This took me to Wikipedia's page for Autocar. Googled Autocar and presto!

Edited by ChrisR
Left out a word

On 1/19/2018 at 11:22 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I had no clue. I first tried to peg it to some eastern European manufacturer (it looks like it could be Wartburg 353-based), then thought it might be a stillborn Fiat safety-car prototype (it has proportions not entirely unlike a 131), and then searched all the bizarre safety-car prototypes from everywhere. It never occurred to me it could actually be a production car. Yech. 

I was also way off. Like you I thought it was Easter European. To me it has body lines of one of the many reincarnations of a license-build or a copied Fiat.  I'm glad others were able to find out what that "thing" was.  Yuck!