Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Supersonic has landed.

Pico

Beautiful body and the layering really appears minor. What are your plans for the chassis, interior, engine - basically what are your plans for the rest of the car? 

Just a couple of images from Google...

fiat8vsupersonicghia7.jpg_cf.jpg.59daac88dbf2268ba891a4ba4c146574.jpg

1954_Fiat_8V61.jpg_cf.jpg.fef1a02a7e25b6e60823960757ca7209.jpg

I still chuckle every time I see a Fiat "8V". As the story goes, Fiat thought Ford had trademarked "V8" so they used "8V" in order to avoid a legal battle. 

Mike 

I have done the engine and interior. Chassis is a flat plate with the firewall. The printer and I have discussed producing a kit, which I'm inclined to be in favor of. However, I can see that there will need to be some refining of a few things before that happens. Video:

Three coats of primer and light sanding and it's in good shape, not ready for paint, but close. The engine compartment snaps into place - that's all one piece. Other parts have required some filing around the edges.

DSCN8170.JPG

DSCN8169.JPG

That really is one of the smoothest bodies I've seen printed. Do you recall what the material is  (i.e. acrylic) and what the printing process is  (i.e. liquid plastic hardened with laser or powder sintered with laser)?

I can't wait to see the motor! I'm assuming that's also printed (?). I'd love to hear one of those in person - 2 liter, 70 degree V8 with max power at 6000rpm!

Are you replicating a specific car or are you going with a personal choice as far as colors, wheels and stance are concerned? 

Really looking forward to seeing more of this build! 

Mike 

The type of printing is the resin hardened with a laser, it resembles acrylic. It may be acrylic? Talking with the 3d printer dude yesterday, he said I could avoid the supports connecting to the important parts of the engine by dividing it in half so the supports all come off the inner half, not the exhaust headers, manifold, etc. Might be a trick removing the supports and not taking something important with it.

DSCN8173.JPG

The equivalent material from Shapeways is called "high definition acrylate", being a light cured liquid. The examples on their website show a support structure very similar to your parts. Since the application of the supports is fully automated, there's probably little that can be done to keep them away from delicate, "real" details so your printer's suggestion to split the engine into two halves is most likely the safest way to go. 

If you don't mind me asking, what was your cost for that body (I certainly understand if you prefer not to divulge this info)? This is the most expensive plastic material Shapeways offers which is why I stick with their direct jetted acrylic - the downside being a rougher surface. 

By the way, what scale are you working with for this build? 

Mike 

1 hour ago, Pico said:

The design is based on the maroon car - no bumpers or hood scoop. I will be painting it turquoise, with a turquoise and white interior. Very 50's show car.

Here's a couple more pics from Google. Looks like this would give us a rough idea of what you're shooting for, color wise. 

Have you figured out a direction for the wheels/tires? Looks like most of them have the polished solid wheels, which might add some interest if you could figure out how to get wide whitewalls on the tires - that would add to your '50's era show car vibe. But that one with the wire wheels really caught my eye - they really give it a sports car look. I'd guess that wouldn't fit the show car influence you're looking for. 

Gotta say - this is a very striking car and you have really captured the essence of its lines and proportions. Very very well done, sir. 

1953_fiat_v8_supersonic_1.jpg_cf.jpg.43eba3e2a422e07e90bed0e75208f49a.jpg

53-Fiat-8V_Supersonic-DV-16-AI_a03.jpg_cf.jpg.b379b5ce5dbc39be25e3d4440a277f64.jpg

Mike 

Edited by mecklm
Added pics

1/24th scale. I'm more interested in the wheel covers than wire wheels. I've spent days hand stringing 1/24 wire wheels and avoid it if necessary. And those covers are very tasteful. Also - this printed material is smooth enough that it should be easy to finish to take a chrome paint, but I haven't tried that yet. That's one of today's projects. That pic was taken at Amelia Island, I missed that year, but took some pics of one at St. John's Concours several years ago. I've done a spoon test of Model Master turquoise metallic, and it's ringing my bell.

Yo! Impalow! Got your Woodlites from Shapeways. Very nice, now what should I put them on? It's been rumored that someone is finally completing the Cord L29 that has been floating around the community for the last 15 years or more.

29 minutes ago, Pico said:

Yo! Impalow! Got your Woodlites from Shapeways. Very nice, now what should I put them on? It's been rumored that someone is finally completing the Cord L29 that has been floating around the community for the last 15 years or more.

Glad you like them!! They finish up quite nice... I really need to get in gear and model more stuff to toss on shapeways.