Model Cars Magazine Forum

TROG true Gentleman's car

Eric Macleod

We might have called it a ' power bulge ' here in the UK during the '70's....... I agree totally that you would not wish to glue the hood down, after all your good work over the past few weeks; then the option of leaving the hood off is not ideal either, so maybe it is the power blister ? There is no fourth option is there Eric ?

Perhaps once it becomes a cream white power blister rather than a green blister, all will be well......

David

I am now at a bit of a stopping place with the white car. I have it 95% done but need to redo the hood. I find it is not a satisfactory shape and the maroon plastic keeps bleeding through the paint. So....better primer is needed. Also, I burned through the side of it with my Dremel so I am better off making a new hood. I am fortunate to have spares.

In the mean time I am heading toward final assembly of the other car with only a few details to complete before I can complete the assembly.  I am very happy with the overall appearance of this one. Conversly, working with old brittle Styrene is a real challenge as I handle the last couple pieces of  modification.

Here is where I found myself last evening.  My fleet of racing Duesenbergs is attached. I think I am going to need an Indy car soon.

torpedos.jpg

I decided to go a completely different direction with the hood. The last one was scrapped and I have started to work on a new version. This one looks a LOT better in my opinion and shows off more of the engine. Obviously it need some finish sanding and another coat of paint but I like the look better than the previous effort. I am glad to hear what you think.

last mockup.jpg

torpedo hood.jpg

Okay...halfway to completion. This is the last iteration of this car before it moves under glass. I will be working to complete the other Dusey racer and perhaps have them done by the end of the weekend with a little luck. I have really appreciated all the support both on and off line with this project.

done.jpg

done.2.jpg

47 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

The tonneau covers look just right. Very approriate for this size car. If you're going to add any weathering you might consider some dark exhaust blast discoloration where the header exits over the light colored sheet metal.

You read my mind! When it appears under glass that is exactly the look I will be after.

21 hours ago, landman said:

Eric, where did you get the Brooklands screen?

A very kind member of this forum sent me a complete Monogram Bugatti 35B with a pair of Brooklands windscreens. I decided to only use one for this model...reserving the other for the Bugatti if I choose to resurrect it.

As you all know, it is very easy to over-do the weathering on a model. Aside from a few detail items (tail lamp lens and some touch ups) I am about ready to call this one done. This is a model that would not have happened without the support from members of this forum, from an informational and parts standpoint. Thanks to all of you. Sometimes it is the little tiny things that make us happy. In the case of this model I am especially pleased with the hood strap rendering. I am hoping to wrap up the companion car in the next couple days also. Feedback is welcome as always.

race day front.jpg

race day rear.jpg

And the final piece of the puzzle is now coming together. Anyone else here get to that place where you are just done with a model project? I think I overdid it with dualing racers. I will wrap this one up this week but I find myself needing something to get past my slump buster. Here is what I have so far.

z2.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 2/13/2018 at 8:46 AM, Art Anderson said:

Not a TROG car, but my WIP "What if there had been a 1941 Model J (or quite possibly an SJ) Duesenberg coupe with bodywork by Rollson?  May I present my phantom 1941 Duesenberg Touring Coupe'?

41Duesenberg3-vi.jpg

Did this progress any further? I like where it is going

On 8/6/2018 at 10:11 AM, dino246gt said:

I like that couple design, why not have a molded on "bump" on the rear lid, sort of like the '59 Imperial? Just a thought, I think that was done on some coachbuilt cars of the 30s.

I've thought about that, but unsure how well it might blend with the rather tapered trunk lid shspe of the AMT Black Force, which is where I started on this one.

Art

• 3 months later...

The "bring out your dead " thread has inspired me to go ahead and wrap this one up. Several things were not coming out as I'd planned but as we say in the real car restoration world,  if its a job worth doing, it's worth doing twice. So, here is the torn down remains of the car as it it tonight. 

20181108_213557-1008x756.jpg