Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dan Gurney Tribute Scale Race Cars

Phildaupho

Dan Gurney, one of the greatest racing car drivers and constructors of all times passed away January 14 at 86 years of age. There are other tributes on this forum under General but I thought it would be fitting for people to post their Dan Gurney models here Under Glass. I have been chipping away for a number of years on a list of models inspired by Dan Gurney. I have posted them sort of in chronological order from his first sanctioned racing drive in a hot rod at Bonneville to a my tribute Deuce 5W Coupe. Please post your own. Here's to Dan Gurney. RIP

BW1DSCN7623.jpgDSCN2426DSCN4462RED1xDSCN1010DSCN3025DSCN3681

Just these initial posts show the breadth and longevity of Dan Gurney's impact on the automotive world, from postwar hot rodding as shown by Phil's build of the car he shared with Skip Hudson, to the initial sportscar boom in the 50's and his big break with Frank Arciero, to the period in the 60's when he was the very personification of the Golden Age of American participation in international motor racing, and finally the incredible run he had with All American Racers, first with his Eagles, especially in Indy car racing, and then as a design and development shop for Toyota and, often discretely, many others, up to this very day. What a long life of achievement and fulfillment!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Although more closely associated with CSX2128 (black car with double yellow nose stripes) he drove a Sebring in ’63, Gurney also drove the sister car CSX2127 (the chassis I present here) at Riverside later in the year.

DSCN4362cobrashop

Edited by afx

49 minutes ago, Earl Marischal said:

What on earth is that pink thing?

steve

The pink thing is actually a red thing [poor photo colour reproduction]. It is the Delta Wing in its preproduction configuration which was done at Dan Gurney's All American Racers factory. The production race car which ran at Le Mans and later in the American Le Mans Series in various configurations was built at the Panoz factory.

9 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

The pink thing is actually a red thing [poor photo colour reproduction]. It is the Delta Wing in its preproduction configuration which was done at Dan Gurney's All American Racers factory. The production race car which ran at Le Mans and later in the American Le Mans Series in various configurations was built at the Panoz factory.

Thanks Phil.

New to me about that.

steve

Here are a couple of cars Dan Gurney drove or was involved with.

Porsche 804 F1:

2v29enZpFxJeDvk.jpg

Olsonite Eagle:

2vYeBmhgxJeDvk.jpg

Tony Adamwoicz (RIP) 1969 Gurney-Eagle F5000:

2vzfkS5FxJeDvk.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting both Tony and Dan at the Monterey Historic Races (Laguna Seca) a long time ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I built this Gurney Eagle about 10 years ago and it is still one of my favorites and best efforts.

Gurney's 1968 Indy 500.  He finished second, behind Bobby Unser in another Eagle.

DSCF1203-vi.jpg

DSCF1179-vi.jpg

DSCF1148-vi.jpg

More info here:  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/9504-ladies-and-gentlemen-the-eagle-has-landed/

RIP Dan!

Thanks,