Model Cars Magazine Forum

SC/Rambler Nightmare

unclescott58

I have this kit in my WIP pile.  That poor excuse for an engine really threw me for a loop.  In my kit the block halves did not match, especially around the transmission, it also came with two different sets of heads.  The huge hole through the block and the grotesque blob of plastic which I presume to be the starter relegated this plastic blob to the junk pile.  I am building it as a gasser with a dual-quad BBC and tube axle.  A friend found some replacement decals and sent me a set, I am not sure where he got them, but he told me he had bought the last six sets the person had.

SCrambler 036.JPG

Now to your build, it turned out exceptionally well.  You have worked around any problems very well.

Edited by TarheelRick

I built this kit like five to six years ago and it was very tough to build as you have experienced.  I thought I used Keith Mark's decals but I must be wrong as he shows the decals as something that he is doing in the future.  Anyhow good job on a tough build  

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Fred Cady's been OOB for a while, so the only place to get them is by trading or eBay.

Went to eBay to see I can find. Plenty from Fred Cady's decals. But, non for the SC/Rambler. The SC/Rambler decals were the one from Firebird Designs. I'll have to keep me open for Cady's in the future. I don't know if I've ever used his stuff or not. But, it seems to me, I've always heard good things about his decals. I'd like to others options on if this is true? 

4 hours ago, drodg said:

I built this kit like five to six years ago and it was very tough to build as you have experienced.  I thought I used Keith Mark's decals but I must be wrong as he shows the decals as something that he is doing in the future.  Anyhow good job on a tough build  

I hope Keith Marks would do decals for this kit. I've had very good results with the ones I've gotten from him to past. 

3 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Went to eBay to see I can find. Plenty from Fred Cady's decals. But, non for the SC/Rambler. The SC/Rambler decals were the one from Firebird Designs. I'll have to keep me open for Cady's in the future. I don't know if I've ever used his stuff or not. But, it seems to me, I've always heard good things about his decals. I'd like to others options on if this is true? 

Only took me a minute to find that they DO exist--or DID, anyway: 

http://chuckmost.wixsite.com/madhouse-miniatures/single-post/2016/05/03/JoHan-1969-SCRambler

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Only took me a minute to find that they DO exist--or DID, anyway: 

http://chuckmost.wixsite.com/madhouse-miniatures/single-post/2016/05/03/JoHan-1969-SCRambler

A very good link you gave above Snake. ☝️ It really points out the good and bad of this kit very well. And it make me lust for the Fred Cady decals even more. I see Fred Cady had both the "A" and "B" striping package setups. Plus other minor decals, which others sets do not include. 

By the way, my kit started out in slightly better condition then his, as far as the plastic goes. He had a complete kit on the trees. But, thankfully mine was molded in white plastic and didn't show any ready problems with thickness, flash, or mold lines like his did. Though, the later two may have taken care of by a previous owner of my kit. 

Another point that has been brought up several times about this kit. Everybody notes the missing side marker lights, required on '68 and '69 Ramblers missing from this kit. I'd like to point out that the interior of this model is also not correct for a '69 SC/Rambler. In '69, at least with the SC/Rambler, they did not come with bucket seats. SC/Ramblers came with a bench. The split reclining bench from what I remember. But, no buckets. I'm not sure if any 1969 Ramber could be equipped with bucket seats or not? Buckets were offered in previous years. So obviously the Jo-Han based this kit with very few modifications on their earlier '67 Ramber Rouge kit. Which was good enough for most of us "kids" back in 1969. I more than likely would not have known the difference back in 1969 or '70, when I was 11 or 12 years old. It would have just look like a correct SC/Rambler to me. If I known what a SC/Rambler was at the time? Which I don't think I knew about the SC/Rambler until two years later, when I saw one in my first Auto World catalog. 

Oh, and by the way. I may have used Fred Cady decals in the past when I built my MPC Ford GT40 Mk IV a couple of years ago. I don't remember for sure if I used Fred Cady decals or not. Fred Cady did make decals for the GT40 Mk IV. If they were Fred Cady decals, they were pretty good. 

Several months ago at the local toy show I bought a box of "Scrambler Project." It's a bunch of parts from two copies of the late Testor issue of the kit. One body has had some of the trim removed and is heavily painted. The other body is unpainted and unmolested except for the roof has been chopped off and the windshield posts chopped down to about half stock height. There's only one trunk lid in the box. One of the hoods has a blower hole cut in it, the other has a Chevy cowl induction lump grafted on. 

A trunk lid for this car shouldn't be TOO hard to fabricate (I can always vacuform the one I have). I believe there are enough parts to build two complete cars, though, sadly, not a stock one. Maybe a "gasser" and a factory "concept custom" of some kind. Someday I should post a pic of what I have to work with and ask for suggestions for what I can do with the mess. B)

On 1/17/2018 at 10:04 PM, unclescott58 said:

Fred Cady made decals for this kit? Were they any good? And can one still get them? 

Yes, yes, and yes... though that last one may be a bit iffy because Fred retired about a decade ago. The sheet came with graphics for both SC/Rambler color schemes, several scripts, air cleaner graphics, and things like that. I had a pic of the sheet at one point but I can't seem to find it. I nabbed that sheet off ebay for about ten bucks a few years back. 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...