Model Cars Magazine Forum

Joe's Backyard Paradise-Updates 02/22

mustang1989

Thanks fellas.

Dave: The filing cabinet and calendar and all that stuff is 1:1 

Got a little more done and thought I'd have some fun today. I have more signs but was careful not to overdo it. The sign over the door made me laugh my ass off. Actually.................BOTH did. Look closely.

In the foreground are the Evergreen strips for the window trim. Gotta make some diagonal cuts in the ends in which to butt them together, prime and paint 'em up and get 'em on the wall still.

Edited by mustang1989

On 1/17/2018 at 1:22 PM, mustang1989 said:

I got the black top cut, painted and applied to the top of the tool box. I also got my laptop painted and applied BMF in the areas where the "intel inside" and "Dell" stickers were below the keyboard. I took a picture of a screensaver on my "real" laptop that has my favorite photo of my wife and son at the beach here in Corpus , sized it down to 2% and printed it on photo paper then cut it out and adhered it to the laptop monitor then glued that to the top of the tool box. I also cut out, folded and glued the paper bag for the burgers and fries together and glued that to the top of the box. Burgers, fries and some tools coming soon........

003_zpspbtbu9b7.jpg

I added a little more to the tool box with the addition of the burger, fries, shake and other goodies. Had to play around with the color for a while on the buns, meat patty and fries till I got what shade I liked. I applied a subtle wash from Mig Productions on the fries to help bring the detail out some and to give them a true "fries" look. So far I'm good with this:

Not sure what happened to the sizing................

Recent%20Photos_zpslh0krs6u.jpg

Yea The burger and the fries definetly do it.Where u get them,Model Round up?

8 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yea The burger and the fries definetly do it.Where u get them,Model Round up?

Thanks for the good word Ron. Yes you can get them from there but there's another spot to get them at as well at a site called Scale Equipment Ltd. Here's the link: http://www.seltd.net/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?account=X344897;search=20;search=Food Details;limit=category;v=2.0

Well gang...............I started thinking about how I could go about the outside of the walls but didn't just want to put something directly over the walls because the window and door wouldn't be spaced in any plus it'd be really hard to cover what is already there without damaging the walls that I already have in place. So I came up with an idea.

I cut out a piece of plexiglass the dimensions of the walls and cut out the window area for the back wall and will cut out the door area for the side wall so that both items are spaced in from the outside of the walls.

Wall trimming in progress:

F7TkCK.jpg

and the outside of the wall now covered in a textured brick pattern covering from Dollhouse Miniatures. I've still got a little clean up to do but you get the picture. ;)

ZeIz7W.jpg

Interesting to see that you are giving attention to the outside walls, keeping in mind that it is the interior walls that will be on show ( I presume ? )

The building in my diorama has most of the attention on the outside walls anyway, and only recently have I begun to focus on the interior walls.

For me it is the background boards that are now presenting me with a challenge, which is how to get the perspective right and also the sky in the background.

53 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Interesting to see that you are giving attention to the outside walls, keeping in mind that it is the interior walls that will be on show ( I presume ? )

Thanks Dave. I'm pulling my typical stuff where things tend to get out of control. I guess that's what I like most about this hobby is that I can start out in one direction and the next thing I know I'm heading off in another completely different one. I am having a lot of fun with this though as this is my first time working with dioramas. ^_^

Edited by mustang1989

Pleased to hear that you are having a lot of fun with this project Joe, and I find the whole diorama thing so absorbing. You can lose yourself in a 1:24 scale miniature world. Once the building starts to take on the feeling of a real place ( in your head anyway ) then the figures, the vehicles and the street furniture all become more important. I like to take a lot of photographs of the diorama scene, and every once in a while one particular photo comes up that has something special about it.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks David. I'm still working on this one but I'm at a crossroads as to how far I should go with it. I've got the outside walls up and have started a planter for the outside of the window area. I've got a wood picket fence that I'm putting together so it can be seen while looking out the rear window. Still trying to figure a few other things out as well for the outside of the building itself. More pics coming.............

• 2 weeks later...

Lookin' good so far Dave!

Most all of the work inside is finished. I'm concentrating efforts on the outside of the building now. While I'm waiting on the funds to do that it gave me the perfect opportunity to show the stocked internals of the building as well as some progress on the Foose 56 Ford F-100 Demon II build that I'm working on. 

HzbKgX.jpg

4GALC4.jpg

That's gonna be a mean '56 Ford I reckon Joe!

Not wanting to be critical, 'cos your work is brilliant, but the sign over the door says ' NO EXCETIONS ' - shouldn't it be No Exceptions ?

Inside of your building does look complete now, so it makes sense for you to work on the build of the car while you are waiting for funds to continue with the outside.

David

45 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

That's gonna be a mean '56 Ford I reckon Joe!

Not wanting to be critical, 'cos your work is brilliant, but the sign over the door says ' NO EXCETIONS ' - shouldn't it be No Exceptions ?

Inside of your building does look complete now, so it makes sense for you to work on the build of the car while you are waiting for funds to continue with the outside.

David

LOL. Thanks Dave. There's humor in that sign. Think about it for a sec.............

Good luck with the plants Joe, and it has been a headache for me to include a tree in my diorama, which has recently been removed. Couldn't find any web sites that could supply a good 1:24 scale tree of a decent size.... say 15 inches tall. Attempts to make one myself have not been successful really. I did seriously consider a real plant growing from a container that is hidden from view, the container that is, not the plant. Something like a Bonsai ? ( expensive ).

David