Model Cars Magazine Forum

Joe's Backyard Paradise-Updates 02/22

mustang1989

Thought I would build a garage for a place to take pictures of some of my finished builds. I started off with this Antique Garage Set and really don't know what I was expecting but the wood floor looks too new and the side walls were the same way. All laminated card stock. 4fvgdaq_th.gif I know better. Anyways , here's the garage kit:

Fujimi%20Garage_zpsp1xv6p3f.jpg

and then the shop tools:

Fujimi%20Shop%20Tools_zpsg8hv2ywh.jpg

I'm going to revamp the flooring with some fancy tile floor(minus the "foo-foo" bordering):

Tile%20flooring_zpsa8oz9gc9.jpg

and go with some real walls instead of the paper wood grain walls. We'll see where the imagination goes from there.

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Rob, Jeremy and Cale.

Technically this is cheating but I'm making a change or so to it. I picked this tool box up from Ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

However I did NOT like the molded in tools and I'm not a big fan of a "hutch" installed on the tops of these style of boxes. To begin with the Fujimi kit supplied tool box I   1.) don't like that style of box and 2) it aint a Snap-On box and 3.)  cannot stand those molded in tools as it looks waaaay cheap. I like the "taco wagon" style boxes so this was the only one I saw that was a Snap-On box so I set out to make a change. I cut the hutch off and sanded the top of the box smooth so one couldn't tell there was ever a hutch there to begin with.

Like so:

001_zps446zgfeo.jpg

I'll be placing a laptop on the top of the box along with a bag and drink from a local burger joint to start with. I may put a tool or two on top as well. I'll see what else I can come up with........

I got the black top cut, painted and applied to the top of the tool box. I also got my laptop painted and applied BMF in the areas where the "intel inside" and "Dell" stickers were below the keyboard. I took a picture of a screensaver on my "real" laptop that has my favorite photo of my wife and son at the beach here in Corpus , sized it down to 2% and printed it on photo paper then cut it out and adhered it to the laptop monitor then glued that to the top of the tool box. I also cut out, folded and glued the paper bag for the burgers and fries together and glued that to the top of the box. Burgers, fries and some tools coming soon........

003_zpspbtbu9b7.jpg

I added a little more to the tool box with the addition of the burger, fries, shake and other goodies. Had to play around with the color for a while on the buns, meat patty and fries till I got what shade I liked. I applied a subtle wash from Mig Productions on the fries to help bring the detail out some and to give them a true "fries" look. So far I'm good with this:

Not sure what happened to the sizing................

Recent%20Photos_zpslh0krs6u.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

Thanks fellas.

Here's the desk and chair that took about of week for me to build. I ended up building the resin coffee pot kit that I had, the camera came from the Fujimi tools kit as did the chair. Coffee cup is resin and was cleaned up and drilled out. Coffee can is also a resin kit. I felt something was missing from the desk top so I've got a microwave kit coming and will probably put a piece of notebook paper and a pencil on the desktop as well. 

Desk%20and%20Chair_zpsmdgqnfpt.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

Liking the coffee pot Joe, and nice shine on the surface of the desk. I can quite understand how it would take one week of work to produce this desk and chair, with all it's accessories. It's not just a simple matter of placing items from a Fujimi kit on the desk... there is more to it than that.  The secret to a successful diorama is in the detail, absolutely. When you look at your own photos you can immediately see if something has worked or not.

David

Any kind of a kept up shop needs some clean up equipment which I've been working on I managed to assemble a push broom, paint and weather it and did the same to the trash can, dust pan and brush. I found some tissue paper with some writing on it wadded up and thrown in the trash can for an added touch.

Got the walls free standing now with nothing propping them up. The more I looked at the whole shop floor and walls , the more I felt the need to grime it up just a tad. I didn't want it nasty, just used somewhat. So I used some ground up black and a little brown pastels and rubbed in some brown to dirty it and smudged some in the window sill and framing for the dust effect. I hit the areas directly behind the work bench and on the sides of the door entrance with some rubbed in black pastel. Still got LOTS of weathering to do inside here in regards to the work bench, floors and walls.  I'll also be working on the door and putting some other goodies on the walls in addition to panel close outs at the top and end edges of the walls.

Here's a top side view so far:

VDUmWP.jpg

Ok folks. I've been rackin' my brain trying to figure out two of my problems with this build.icon_hmm_zps07rcoppf.gif First off , the floor was just too dang clean. I tried dirtying up the paper based flooring with ground up brown and black pastel rubbed into the flooring but it wasn't enough. As you all know, it would just rub off. Then my thoughts turned to some 1000 grit sandpaper. animierte-smilies-computer-020_zpsxmbudy . Now that............might just work. So I started on the first two rows of tile and lo and behold.........it was just what I wanted!!

You can see the difference between the first two rows and the rest of the flooring in the following photo:

BDPksD.jpg

So I sanded the whole floor and put some more "dirt and grime" on the walls:

jWiCIP.jpg

pbGmWb.jpg

This is also going to be an "inside" display with the only outside reference being seen through the window in the back of the shop so I had to put terminating ends on the sides and tops of the walls. I was at odds on how to accomplish that until this morning. I grabbed some black Evergreen styrene sheets that I had and started measuring, cutting and gluing.

Before:

0dhhDH.jpg

and after (I'll be installing a door to hide the doorway wall innards):

FQLRcY.jpg

EdmcKW.jpg

Thanks Jeremy, Dave and JC. Yeah it was a little too dang clean .............ya know?

Well fellas I've spent ALOT of time working on the base garage and have made some satisfactory progress. For starters I installed the door into the opening but it didn't look right without the door trim around the opening so I cut some Evergreen into strips, painted and cleared 'em, installed them and weathered them some without going overboard. I'll be doing this with the window opening as well. I also put together an old Chevy Truck advertisement into a picture frame by taping the photo onto the back of some clear Evergreen styrene and then masking and painting a frame onto the front of it. Getting back to the door I dirtied it up a bit and threw a couple of performance decals on it just to give the shop some character. Door handle and lock were painted with a Molotow Chrome pen and installed.

Lastly, I decided to throw something oddball in. In my office is a file cabinet with a fishing advertisement sticker on the side of it and I thought :hmm: and decided I could throw it on the wall in between the shelves of my storage shelving that's going to go into that corner for a subtle addition to the shop.

Here's the sticker in my office:

Here's the shop after installing all of what I've talked about here this morning. Notice the sticker made into a decal on the wall as well.