Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Shelby cobra with tamiya skyline inline 6.

426 pack

This is a project that I am working on for the 2018 cannonball run (inline engine only) and I just want to biuld something different so I decided to put a 6 cylinder engine in a cobra (I don’t think any one has done that) with a turbo. All I’ve done so far is biuld the exhaust manifold and mock the engine up and surprisingly the motor mounts lined up perfect. Still unsure on colour.

let me know what you guys think.

FD0B683D-9F61-4E8E-96F7-BA0A7CDEEAAD.jpeg

E175FE22-CE53-42C0-A0A2-0BA860AF2690.jpeg

383249BB-CBB3-40FB-904D-F2521169787D.jpeg

Edited by 426 pack
It’s a monogram kit not revell

44 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

This is a project that I am working on for the 2018 cannonball run (inline engine only) and I just want to biuld something different so I decided to put a 6 cylinder engine in a cobra (I don’t think any one has done that) with a turbo. All I’ve done so far is biuld the exhaust manifold and mock the engine up and surprisingly the motor mounts lined up perfect. Still unsure on colour.

let me know what you guys think.

FD0B683D-9F61-4E8E-96F7-BA0A7CDEEAAD.jpeg

E175FE22-CE53-42C0-A0A2-0BA860AF2690.jpeg

383249BB-CBB3-40FB-904D-F2521169787D.jpeg

Why not?

28 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I will be watching.

Ha ha ha, I read the whole post before looking at the author's name and I had assumed this was one of your builds. Then I see your post about watching and I get all confused, lol. 

To the REAL author, this looks like a very cool project. The wire wheel spokes appear pretty thin, making them particularly suited to the car. Please carry on and keep us updated. 

Mike 

Thanks guys. 

I just realized that I said it was a revell kit but it’s actually a monogram. 

23 minutes ago, mecklm said:

To the REAL author, this looks like a very cool project. The wire wheel spokes appear pretty thin, making them particularly suited to the car. Please carry on and keep us updated 

The wire wheels are from the kit and I’m still not shure if I’m going to run them or not.

I will try to keep you guys updated.

19 minutes ago, KenC said:

The car from which the Cobra sprang, the AC ACE, ran in one form or another, an inline 6. Ones from AC, Bristol, or Ford. So building one with a different inline 6 is just historically correct!

It was a Bristol straight-6 which was derived from the BMW 328.

arnolt-bristol-engine

Edited by afx

28 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

Thanks guys. 

I have a question about the intake. Should I run the 3 Weber carbs with the turbo or should I biuld a fuel injection system?

let me know what you think would be best.

I think trying to create a manifold to dump equal amounts of air into three separate carbs would be problematic. I'd modify the intake to fit a single big 4-barrel or build some sort of EFI system with a throttle body (which is what I'm doing with my Slant 6 Cannonballer) would be easier and look more authentic.

I started building the intake and mounted the intercooler yesterday.  

Still need to do some modifications to the exhaust and some other small things on the engine before I can get paint on. 

I’m still unsure on the colour for it so let me know what you think would look good on it.   

Let me know what you think.

98948EE4-F456-42C3-BC68-5939E3FF8F34.png

EDBA9A5F-B26A-4464-94CB-5C15A36158C2.png

Edited by 426 pack

The intake and exhaust are looking really good. I'm partial to symmetry so the two balance each other nicely. 

You asked for color suggestions but I'm not clear if you're asking for comments on the engine color or body color. 

Since this build is all about the power plant, I would make sure the underhood area is bright in order to make the engine stand out. 

Inherent in the engine design, the intake, exhaust and cam cover are going to define what your eyes are drawn to. As such, I would treat these three items with different shades of polished metalizer finishes. Anything you can detail paint will add to its jewel-like qualities. Carefully placed splashes of color on the three primary components, as well as the turbo, should avoid any kind of monotone tendency. 

Since very little of the block will be visible, its color will be secondary in impact but might afford you another opportunity to introduce a subtle splash of color, peaking out from below. 

If you really want to cradle the engine with a high-tech surround, try simulating gold foil insulation but instead of applying strictly to the firewall, run it around the whole engine compartment. You can elevate that further yet by introducing a wrinkled finish to the foil. Would make a good contrast with the smooth metallic finishes on the engine. 

For body color, I'm always partial to dark blues with silver painted wheels. That's such a personal decision that I'm not sure I can really influence what's already floating around in your mind. 

All in all, just my two cents worth of suggestions. As unique as this build is, I'm sure the final product will be stunning regardless of colors and finishes chosen. 

Mike