Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why Can't I Post?

Snake45

Been trying all day to reply to one thread in the All the Rest section. Can't do it on two different computers, in over 8 hours now. Keep getting a 404 We Can't Find The Page You're Looking For message. 

Not having any trouble replying to other threads, or even starting a new one, as you can see. 

WTH? 

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You may need an exorcist.

Or maybe the forum does! :lol:

It seems like a few are having problems today, I just seen another post where someone says the forum says he's not allowed to view HIS OWN THREAD!:o:huh:

I had a small issue earlier too today when I was going to post two pics in a thread, one would upload fine but the other kept saying "Upload Failed". 

Still no luck with it today. Though I was able to post a response, just not the actual response I wanted to post. Immediately after, it STILL wouldn't take it. 

So I started experimenting. I starting posting it in one sentence at a time. And then editing in the next sentence, and so forth. I eventually got the whole post posted, except for one sentence. Why it doesn't like that one, I have absolutely NO idea. 

13 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Which topic is giving you problems?

At first I thought it might have been rejecting the word "swastika" in my post (even though it was in the OP), so tried it substituting [tail] instead. Still wouldn't take the whole post. So I pasted in one sentence at a time, and that seemed to work. All but the last sentence of my second paragraph. It never would accept that. I have no idea why.

On 1/16/2018 at 9:58 PM, Snake45 said:

Still no luck with it today. Though I was able to post a response, just not the actual response I wanted to post. Immediately after, it STILL wouldn't take it. 

So I started experimenting. I starting posting it in one sentence at a time. And then editing in the next sentence, and so forth. I eventually got the whole post posted, except for one sentence. Why it doesn't like that one, I have absolutely NO idea. 

I have had a similar problem several times in the past. A longish text-only post (usually an in-depth response to a technical question) wouldn't go through, often until it was edited down to the point the sense of it was lost.

No bad words, nothing that could conceivably offend the algorithms in any logical way whatsoever.

Every time, I just gave up (though I posted descriptions of the problem at the time in the appropriate place).

10 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

A quick look isn't revealing anything obvious. 

Are you able to post a short test reply?

Yes, I did a short test reply on it the other day. That's when I started playing with doing it a sentence at a time. And that eventually worked, more or less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

More than one of you guys that are having problems say you are able to either type and submit one line at a time, or copy & paste one line at a time EXCEPT one line. 

Try posting that one line in a post on this thread. You must post it EXACTLY the way you tried on the other board.

It's impossible to diagnose a computer/network/website problem without 100% of the data included in the trouble shooting report.

Also, any time anyone has a problem with any part of a website or forum, it's extremely helpful if you can write down, or copy and paste, every little detail related to the problem. Otherwise it's akin to saying, "My car is running rough. What's wrong with it?"

Edited by smhardesty

6 hours ago, THORDOOR220 said:

I just tried, and it wouldn't post here either. Not the whole post, not just that line.

What was the line that caused the problem? Enter it in a post here on this thread exactly as you entered on whatever board it was.

That's what I tried to explain. The moderators need exact info to relay to whoever the webmaster is so they can narrow down and pinpoint the problem. Simply stating that it wouldn't post on this thread doesn't help the guys at all.

Try posting one line at a time on this thread. Each time you are able to successfully post a line here, move on to the next line. When you find the line causing the problem, try posting the first half of that line. If that works, try the second half. Then that final half either will, or won't work, but everyone will know what the complete line is. If absolutely necessary, you may even have to post the words one at a time to finish up.

There are other things the guys MIGHT need to know later, but trying to pinpoint a word, combination of words, or a phrase would be first. Dave thought it might be the length of the attempted posting, but it seems that may not be it. They may need to know about your operating system, browser, anti-virus, and other software, but that would be later.

It sounds really nit-picky and kind of silly,  but trouble shooting a problem like some of you guys are having can be REALLY tedious and the problem (and solution) can be something nobody would logically think of. 

For now, keep attempting to post exactly the way you have been. If you have trouble, open up a text or word document and note everything you can like the time of day, what board it was on, was it a new thread or were you replying, and exactly what it was you had typed in. If nothing else, you can send that document to whoever needs it.

If you think that sounds like a lot of trouble, you should be on the trouble shooting end of one of these problems. It'll keep you up all hours of the night.

20 hours ago, THORDOOR220 said:

Just tried adding the next line, and rather than the usual 404 error, it simply said that it was too long since the reply was posted.... Here's the original reply it wouldn't let me post before.

Are you creating the content on Notepad (a notepad?), then copying and pasting here into the reply box?