Model Cars Magazine Forum

I still think these trucks are at least passably good-looking. But the size, man oh man...

I was just in mexico and you wouldn't believe the way mini-trucks are holdin' it down. Hauling water, a dozen guys in the bed, boats, loads of sand...and they've been doing it since 1989 when they were new trucks. I'm not sure why we norte americanos need trucks that could crush a herd of wildebeest and pull the moon out of orbit, even though they'll mostly be used to get to soccer practice. 

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

All of that touch-screen garbage ... NO THANKS . Give me a truck with vinyl seating , rubber floor mats , and little to no gimmicks and tech garbage . ( I know , I know : "Get off my lawn !" ) . I just enjoy simplicity ; I want a truck to ride like a truck , handle like a truck , and be user-friendly . I want to feel the transmission go-through its gears ... steel wheels ... easy spare tyre changes ... and not a bunch of TPMS lights and other Disneyland Electrical Street Parade antics on the dashboard and gauges .

And , I want to be able to reach-into the bed -- on a two wheel drive , half-ton -- without having to use the rear tyres as a freakin' step ladder ! 

You can still get that truck! From Ram, GM, and Ford!

7 hours ago, dieseldawg142 said:

yes! this! agree wholeheartedly 100%......except for your last sentence...;)

I truly belive the big 3 are really missing a profitable bit of market here. I know tons of guys, as well as prob over half the guys on my truck site who want this- a stripper bare bones back to basics nothing else truck. a real stripper, not Detroit's version of a stripper

if  someone offered a new one, maybe I might go look...

You should give me a call, I can get you that truck!

You'll never find it on a dealer lot, but we can order base trucks that are VERY base, especially if you can order it using a fleet code. I have many clients that do just that, and I'm always surprised that dealers wouldn't order just one like this to use as an advertiser. Something dirt cheap to put in their newspaper ads or whatever, to get people in the door.

Rubber flooring, vinyl seats with no power controls, crank windows, manual mirrors and locks, no remote entry, steel wheels, no chrome, no satellite radio, am/fm radio only, no wi-fi, no cruise control, no touch screens, no multi-colour instrument panel displays, no LED/HID lighting. The only thing not optional that might be deemed a little extraneous would be the AC. Heck, want it without a trailer hitch? No problem. Want to delete the rear bumper and all the badging? Piece of cake. You want a zipper truck? No problem!

:)

It's just me, but I think all of the newer trucks regardless of manufacture have just gotten to big and all look like Tonks Trucks on steroids. I have owned full size 1/2 ton pickups thru the years but the newer ones are just seem overdone to me. If, and that's a very big if, I were going to get a new truck I would look at the Dodge and the GM offerings. While I have owned Ford pickups they were from the mid '50's and the time frame was the mid to late '60's. Traded my '60's El Camino for a '74 Chevy C-10 Step Side and customized it to my liking. This was replaced by a '79 Chevy. Step Side that I also customized and was used to tow a Ski Boat. The last one was a '95 Chevy X-Cab short bed that I also lowered and built a 383 Stroker Motor for it added the usual wheels and tires, sold it in 2010. That truck was like docking a boat when you tried to park it. My point is that the new trucks make the '95 look like a Mini Truck in size difference. These things have grown to the point that the DMV should have to test and issue special drivers licenses to anyone wanting to drive one of these things.    

23 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Interesting that the Sport trim level appears to be gone, as that was a massive seller. In Canada anyway.

From what I've read in another article, there will be a monochromatic package similar to the old Sport trim that will be available on a few of the trim levels, rather than being it's own trim level.

Fleet orders are the way to go if one wants for a base model  , for sure . I seem to remember the days of , say , an F-100 with zero options ( 250 six , 3-on-the-tree , no rear bumper , Tupperware interior ) being on the lot . These days , the dealers want to sell ONLY the $60,000 - $80,000 "Cowboy Cadillacs" , and that's all that they keep in stock !

Bring back the days of , "Here's a steering wheel and 4 tyres : what do you want to add as options ?"

- Air Conditioning

- AM / FM radio (maybe with a disc player)

- Full complement of gauges 

- Power Windows * 

- Power Locks *

- Small V8 

- Steep Gears 

- Cruise Control **

* = almost a prerequisite in certain demographics ( e.g. , Downtown Los Angeles , etc. )

** = nice option to have for means of either long drives and to help avoid speeding tickets .

53 minutes ago, dieseldawg142 said:

scratch the air, pw, pl, small 8, cruise control, and then we're starting to get into my territory...:)

a trucks truck, not a dolled up car with a big open trunk...

and none of this 6ft or 5ft or 5.5ft dumb size boxes, those are for hauling your murse.  I want a 8 foot bed that don't need to be made

trailer hitch I need Dan, but other than the air, your talking what I have looked for since I bought my '85.

would really like a truck without a DIC in the dash too.....don't need my trucks "talking" to me 

ya, your right about the fleet thing too, my '85 was a fleet truck, orig sold to the BC forest service love the way they "optioned " out my truck....

I can even get you one in forestry green!

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Rubber flooring, vinyl seats with no power controls, crank windows, manual mirrors and locks, no remote entry, steel wheels, no chrome, no satellite radio, am/fm radio only, no wi-fi, no cruise control, no touch screens, no multi-colour instrument panel displays, no LED/HID lighting. The only thing not optional that might be deemed a little extraneous would be the AC.

Cool.

But I bet the factory would have a tough time finding the tooling for the rubber mats and crank window hardware...;)

27 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Cool.

But I bet the factory would have a tough time finding the tooling for the rubber mats and crank window hardware...;)

Actually, the Ram 1500 Tradesman has that... according to the Ram B&P configurator site---manual windows, rubber floor covering, manual vinyl-covered bench seat... the kind of trucks that are usually white w/ black bumpers & grille that fleets buy. 

10 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Cool.

Black vinyl flooring is available on all of the Ram trucks, Ford trucks, and GM trucks. Crank windows available on Ram ST trim level, and on GM half tons, WT trim level. Ford had crank windows available until 2014, haven't checked on the new aluminum trucks.

:)

9 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Actually, the Ram 1500 Tradesman has that... according to the Ram B&P configurator site---manual windows, rubber floor covering, manual vinyl-covered bench seat... the kind of trucks that are usually white w/ black bumpers & grille that fleets buy. 

Its a pretty basic truck

dH7QcMC.jpg

The 1990s was pretty much the end of trucks being trucks. We reached a high point around 1993. Rugged, simple easy to repair shapes and mostly functional styling.

Fullsizeoutput_52.jpg

1993_F-150_with_dual_gas_tanks.jpg

1993_Dodge_Ram_W250_Club_Cab_4x4_Cummins

Not to say the new trucks are not capable, but they have lost the point of a pickup truck being a working utility vehicle and have sold out the designs to meet the desires of soccer moms and urban four wheelers.

5 hours ago, Aaronw said:

Not to say the new trucks are not capable, but they have lost the point of a pickup truck being a working utility vehicle and have sold out the designs to meet the desires of soccer moms and urban four wheelers.

Actually, the manufacturers can do both. THe problem is that people don't want basic anymore. Go to a dealership and walk the lot. There might one or two basic stripped down work trucks. And 100+ loaded up full option trucks. The dealers order what sells.

And invariably, yoou'll get people that say "I just want a cheap truck," so they go to the dealership, look at the base model, and they say "Okay, but can I get the remote starter? Actually, I want satellite radio. Heated seats would be nice. Oh I have to have leather with heated seats? Okay..." And so on and so on. Pretty soon, they're in a mid to high level truck, and the base model sits, drawing people in as a price point.

As I've said earlier, you can order a work truck, with all the mechanical stuff that makes it a tow beast or a working piece of equipment, it's that most don't. Even a lot of business now ask for a simple work truck, but then they say they want their guys to be comfortable, so those trucks now have satellite radio, and a remote start, and foglights, etc, etc.

Anyway, if anyone wants a basic work truck, hit me up. Vehicles are my job. :) 

2014_Chevrolet_Silverado_1500_2_106231.JPG

2014_Chevrolet_Silverado_1500_2_106239.JPG

Edited by iamsuperdan

21 minutes ago, High octane said:

When I was younger a "basic truck" was okay for me, but now that I'm older I want a little more comfort and conveniences on my daily driver. 

Exactly! That's why the base work truck is so hard to find. Now that we're older, and better off financially, we can afford to treat ourselves to a little more comfort.

Having said that, a person can get a cheap truck, with comfort. Have a look at the Ram 1500 ST. Order it with the Hemi, class IV hitch, and the SXT Appearance group. You should be able to get that truck for around $31k CDN ($25k US). A brand new truck, with almost 400hp, four wheel drive, towing equipment, power everything, bluetooth, alloy wheels, four doors, and a decent stereo. Just pick your colour and go.

50 minutes ago, DanR said:

I just read that Fiat-Chrysler is moving Ram production from Mexico back to Detroit. I like knowing that Americans will once again be paid to produce American cars and trucks.

Yeah, major shift for FCA to do this. I'm just waiting for a certain someone to take all the credit for a move that has been two years in the making.

Anyway...

Personally, I like it. Should reduce order times and shipping times by at least a couple of weeks. And as long as the cost of the truck doesn't go up, I think it's great.  I hope production of the Promaster vans follows suit, as right now order time is insane at 4-6 months for delivery.