Model Cars Magazine Forum

21 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Pretty well known, I would think..that's why we don't get trucks built in Japan nowadays.  And also why Ford shipped Transit Connects from Turkey with seats that they later removed and recycled.. 

And why my '62 VW double-cab pickup (selling it in '91 was one of the stupidest things I ever did) just snuck in under the wire in '63.  B)

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And why my '62 VW double-cab pickup (selling it in '91 was one of the stupidest things I ever did) just snuck in under the wire in '63.  B)

Those double cab VWs are neat...one of my neighbors in Phoenix had a couple. 

Edited by Rob Hall

32 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Pretty well known, I would think..that's why we don't get trucks built in Japan nowadays.  And also why Ford shipped Transit Connects from Turkey with seats that they later removed and recycled.. 

They got caught too and had to stop that practice. Also why we lost the Ranger, they moved production overseas and it became subject to the tax, making it unprofitable.

As the Big 3 move more light truck production out of the country, and the tax is being enforced on them they have been more interested in a repeal.

Light commercial vehicles were thrown in by Johnson as a bribe to the auto unions not to strike in the run up to election. It is the only element that remains of the chicken tax the other industries impacted by it have long sense been excluded. It has cost us as consumers some very interesting and useful vehicles over the years. I for one would be happy to see it go.

14 hours ago, Agent G said:

I got this image off the web, but, this is what my '03 Ram 1500 looked like. Ex #2 took it in the divorce then wrecked it. I miss that truck.

I said earlier I think that was the high-point for Mopar truck styling in recent memory, and I have significant experience both driving and working on them. Good trucks. The one I know best went to 200,000 miles before needing anything other than oil changes, when its lower balljoints got to the point of requiring replacement. The interior still looks almost new. And from a crash-repair standpoint, the things are a pleasure to work on. Everything comes apart and goes back together just like it looks like it would, which is something rarely found on contemporary vehicles.

15 hours ago, dieseldawg142 said:

yup, do like the color Dan, matches my toy. is that a crew or ext cab? the angle of the pic seems to make the rear doors really short...

prob a 6 liter too?

what does a base crew lb srw 4by come in at, 50-60?

might have to check out your dealership when we go to Canmore..:)

I'll shoot you a PM. 

The one in the pic is a Double Cab, not a crew.

The only way we'd get anywhere near $50k is if we starting adding a LOT of expensive accessories!

• 3 months later...

We got our first one in today.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4.

Crewcab with the 5'7" box, nicely loaded, but not fully loaded.

The learning curve on this one is pretty steep. Lots of new tech to figure out. And need to find all the new buttons and switches. 

The drive is amazing. So smooth, and it feels like it has way more power.

My personal one is on a railcar, about two weeks away now. :)

20180503_144109.jpg

20180503_144137.jpg

20180503_144202.jpg

That's the downside with this truck. Much like when Ford did their redesign in 2015, Ram has jacked the price. Now, there is a lot of added tech in this truck, more features, more use of aluminum and composites, etc. Consumers demand more and more, so the prices have to go up. Combine that with the usual 1-2% increase everyone adds every year, and you're left with a pricey truck. 

This truck has an MSRP of $74965 CDN, and it is NOT fully loaded. Even with the fleet concessions I can utilize, I'd still be putting a cap cost on this truck of about $58-59k.

Even the most basic models will see an increase of about $5k over last year. And I guarantee that when the new GMC/Chev trucks atart arriving this fall, it will be the same story.

Ahh well, it's still an awesome truck. :)

4 hours ago, dustym said:

Another car with a bed. might as well buy an SUV. Real trucks have an 8 ft bed.

Agree 100%. 

I seen one of thise trucks in Grand Prairie Alberta at a dealership last week that was the exact same colour.  

9 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

That's the downside with this truck. Much like when Ford did their redesign in 2015, Ram has jacked the price. Now, there is a lot of added tech in this truck, more features, more use of aluminum and composites, etc. Consumers demand more and more, so the prices have to go up. Combine that with the usual 1-2% increase everyone adds every year, and you're left with a pricey truck. 

This truck has an MSRP of $74965 CDN, and it is NOT fully loaded. Even with the fleet concessions I can utilize, I'd still be putting a cap cost on this truck of about $58-59k.

Even the most basic models will see an increase of about $5k over last year. And I guarantee that when the new GMC/Chev trucks atart arriving this fall, it will be the same story.

Ahh well, it's still an awesome truck. :)

Just keep in mind that pricing is going to vary for Canada vs us down here in the US, without knowing what all options you got,  I priced one out at $55k. ( based on what I could see on yours)

2019 Rams are starting out at $31,695, and the Larmie 4x4 package starts out at $44,190

Trucks are hot, people want trucks and dont mind paying for them,  FCA is just playing the game and gonna cash in on the trend.

Edited by martinfan5

16 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Just keep in mind that pricing is going to vary for Canada vs us down here in the US, without knowing what all options you got,  I priced one out at $55k. ( based on what I could see on yours)

2019 Rams are starting out at $31,695, and the Larmie 4x4 package starts out at $44,190

Trucks are hot, people want trucks and dont mind paying for them,  FCA is just playing the game and gonna cash in on the trend.

You're pretty close. I just went to the US site, and it spec'd out at $56810, and wouldn't let me add both bucket seats and navigation. Nav should add $795, so a total of $57605 US. Using today's exchange rate, that's $77047 CDN.

In the current model 2018s, I could lease out a 2wd quad cab half ton with no options for just under $25k CDN. The 2019 will be about $3-4k more.

It's just how it is these days. :)

On 1/16/2018 at 11:49 AM, iamsuperdan said:

In 2017, in the US only, Ram outsold Toyota Tundra by about 400,000 units.

:)

trucks.JPG.b480bdeb2ccc90ec3ed7e99853c2400d.JPG

I knew people would bring up Tundra.:P If you look at all the trucks on the market, they all have styling elements that are also used by Toyota. Headlight shapes, door creases, cab corners, bottom corners of rear doors, tail lights, wheels ,etc. 

tundra.jpg.cf1bcbadf194c8b691d504b4adb43bf9.jpg

ram.jpg.6c0949d9bf9364b0af48fc5c068ee790.jpg

silverado.JPG.7df313b42c958977507945af1c8eadd6.JPG

f150.jpg.c766dff65ad68dda72678ab1daa8990c.jpg

titan.jpg.23f3cb277229209aee5afd5d962850d0.jpg

I may be the only one, but quite honestly I'm done with trucks that have the "styling by Tonka or Playschool" look. All the manufacturers have gone to this.

Styling lines that go in all directions, lights and grilles that look like they came off of a school bus and fenders that overpower the rest of the truck.

Basically, all automotive styling has lost any uniqueness. All the cars copy the same "me too" look. It's as if the designers were all given the same software and they only use what comes with the program. Click here for the jellybean sedan, paint it in white, black or grey and you can have the interior any color you want as long as it's charcoal. Click there for crossover SUV, make it look like a hightop shoe rollerskate and paint it silver. Oh and don't forget the black interior. 

I miss the old days when humans, who had a passion for cars, designed a car for an emotional individuality and drew it based on the way a car would make you FEEL when driving it! There used to be all kinds of styling for all kinds of different tastes. Options were everywhere and many times you wouldn't see another car exactly like yours for years after you bought it.

Now they're just soulless lumps of Plastic and Steel. Just an appliance that you scrap when your lease expires.

Just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I may be the only one, but quite honestly I'm done with trucks that have the "styling by Tonka or Playschool" look. All the manufacturers have gone to this.

Styling lines that go in all directions, lights and grilles that look like they came off of a school bus and fenders that overpower the rest of the truck.

Basically, all automotive styling has lost any uniqueness. All the cars copy the same "me too" look. It's as if the designers were all given the same software and they only use what comes with the program. Click here for the jellybean sedan, paint it in white, black or grey and you can have the interior any color you want as long as it's charcoal. Click there for crossover SUV, make it look like a hightop shoe rollerskate and paint it silver. Oh and don't forget the black interior. 

I miss the old days when humans, who had a passion for cars, designed a car for an emotional individuality and drew it based on the way a car would make you FEEL when driving it! There used to be all kinds of styling for all kinds of different tastes. Options were everywhere and many times you wouldn't see another car exactly like yours for years after you bought it.

Now they're just soulless lumps of Plastic and Steel. Just an appliance that you scrap when your lease expires.

Just my opinion. 

Sadly, I have to agree with you. I made my opinion about trucks before in this thread and I hear you. Like society, vehicles IMO have also become too PC and that's part of the reason we see what we see. Some may disagree, but you can thank the safety nazi's for the disappearance of certain styling architecture. True two and four door hardtops come to mind. They stopped making four door hardtops in what, the late '70's??