Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junior Johnson #27 '61 Pontiac

ClayK

Finally finished up teh Junior Johnson Pontiac. I had started this one last fall, and ran into a few snags and put it aside. Decided to get it back out and finish it up. This is the Moebius Joe Weatherly kit.....decals are from Powerslide. Paint is Tamiya Metallic Red with Omni two part clear polished out.

The basic construction of this kit is a breeze...but I had a terrible time wrapping it up. Mostly do to my own errors or from just rushing it. I wish I could have got a better fit of the front grill to the body. It isn't bad. But could be tighter. I also forgot the rear tail light covers and had to rip the body back off the chassis after it was glued on so I could install them from the inside.

I've got another kit to build....next time I will spend some time on the bumpers and remove all the mold seems and then re-chrome them, or use Alcad. But anyway, it looks pretty good complete, and I was happy to get it done finally.

2v2J9mmPzxzskm.jpg

2v2J9mmD3xzskm.jpg

2v2J9mmsMxzskm.jpg

2v2J9mmmrxzskm.jpg

Here's the WIP photos if interested.... http://public.fotki.com/ClayK/nascar_projects/junior-johnsons-27-/

Thanks for looking!

Clay

Yes, very nice. And thank you for telling us what paint you used. I've started mine but have been trying to find a paint color that resembles the couple of pictures I have of this car and couldn't find a match but like what you've chosen so I'll go with that.

Not a Nascar fan but this car is really well done and presents very well with the paint color and decals combined with the flawless build quality. 

After looking at the build pictures I do have one question. What material did you use for the insulation under the driver's legs and pedals? It just looks so right for that application and it conforms perfectly to the floor contours. 

Mike 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, mecklm said:

Not a Nascar fan but this car is really well done and presents very well with the paint color and decals combined with the flawless build quality. 

After looking at the build pictures I do have one question. What material did you use for the insulation under the driver's legs and pedals? It just looks so right for that application and it conforms perfectly to the floor contours. 

Mike 

Mike, Where are the build pictures showing the floorboard?  Could you please post a link?

24 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Mike, Where are the build pictures showing the floorboard?  Could you please post a link?

The OP posted a link to the WIP photos in the very first post. You can find it below all of the photos in that first post. 

Mike 

Edited by mecklm
Reworded

Thank you for the replies, guys! I've started prepping another body to build another one this Spring. It should go a lot smoother. Powerslide has done so many great decals for this kit, it's hard to stop after building just one.

To answer the question earlier....I use a roll of white athletic tape for the floor insulation. Its about an inch wide I would say. I just cut it to length and press it down to the floor. Then I will lightly rub the dark gray powder from a Tamiya weathering kit across the high spots to give it some wear and stains.

Clay

When I saw who had started this thread I already knew it's going to be amazing. But, this is mind blowing! Fantastic work in every way (as always), especially the paint and decals turned out really good. If I had a hat, I'd say that "My hat is off!" :P