Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anyone built these?

Aardvark Models used to do the Firebird III in resin.  It was a very impressive kit.  Don't know if they're still in business but I know the owner is on the forum; maybe he'll check in.

Edited by Deano

1 hour ago, Deano said:

Aardvark Models used to do the Firebird III in resin.  It was a very impressive kit.  Don't know if they're still in business but I know the owner is on the forum; maybe he'll check in.

He sold out the production run (I believe 100, based on production run for photoetch); I built it...fun model, looks great! I built mine w/the original color scheme vs. the restored car which I have seen in person and running on its own power.

2vGWHGhyxvKa6.jpg

2vGWHGzoxvKa6.jpg

2vGWHnDnxvKa6.jpg

Both a interesting vehicles. The Firebird III was on Leno's show and he drove it. It has a turbine engine in the back for power and another gas(?) engine in the front to operate the hydraulics. It's controlled by a joystick style handle. 

The Happy Days car has fake 4 pipe headers bolted to the side of the block and the flathead 3 pipe headers going down under the body.

4 hours ago, Bucket T said:

Saw pics of the Happy Days rod yesterday and thought about building it.  Maybe someday.

Lots of good closeup pictures and some info on the Meecum website. May have to use the prtsc button and paint to download them 

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-313114/1929-ford-hi-boy-roadster-pickup/

The Firebird III is defintiely one of my favourite concept.   It's pretty much the distilled essence  of that whole idea of the "dream car" and even 60 years later, it still screams "the FUTURE!".  Defintiely one I'd like to see in kit form.

This has been covered elsewhere, but Revell originally wanted to do more concept cars, but GM wanted them to do production cars.  Imagine if the folks at Revell had gotten their way,  we could possibly have seen a Firebird III from them.

I've been wanting to do the Ivo T for awhile now, but what really got me jonesing for it was the article in Hot Rod Deluxe a few years ago on the restored car. Take the Little T, add the Nailhead from your favorite source(I'm planning on the Revell 29 roadster kit with a different trans), throw in the other necessary parts and it should be pretty straight forward. Personally the pinstriping will be the tricky part, I'm hoping I can use the decals from the Tweedy Pie.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I've been wanting to do the Ivo T for awhile now, but what really got me jonesing for it was the article in Hot Rod Deluxe a few years ago on the restored car. Take the Little T, add the Nailhead from your favorite source(I'm planning on the Revell 29 roadster kit with a different trans), throw in the other necessary parts and it should be pretty straight forward. Personally the pinstriping will be the tricky part, I'm hoping I can use the decals from the Tweedy Pie.

What are you going to do for the body?

For "Two Lane Blacktop" fans, here are some photos of the '55 Chevy camera car being restored in 2001.  If you get the Criterion Collection DVD release of the movie, it has a special feature about the restoration, "Performance and Image,"  that includes many of these pix.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/twolaneblacktop/restoration-photos-of-the-two-lane-blacktop-39-55--t26.html

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:33 AM, Jon Haigwood said:

Been waiting  on finding a 22 Touring body for Norms T. Ivos needs a 25 Phaeton body. 

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the differences between a 25 Phaeton body and the available 27(AMT police car kit the most recent available I beleive)

Image result for amt 27 t phaeton

5 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the differences between a 25 Phaeton body and the available 27(AMT police car kit the most recent available I beleive)

Image result for amt 27 t phaeton

Actually now that I double checked, I believe both may need the Touring Body with he body work going behind the front seat. I know Norms was a Touring body cut off behind the front seat giving that flat look to the side. Not for sure on Tommys T. yet

Checking farther , the Hot Rod article states he used a  "Phaeton" another site states he used  the front half of a Touring body. What is the difference between the Touring and the Phaeton? And most importantly does AMT's vintage Police Car have the divider behind the front seat?