Model Cars Magazine Forum

New kid on the block ?

Greg Myers

Just now, unclescott58 said:

If this a non NASCAR, factory stock 442, I'd buy one. The above version doesn't interest me at all. 

agreed.

I'm a little surprised that anyone would start a new venture with NASCAR kits.

You just about can't give them away any place that they're sold.

Something older like this might garner a little more interest, but my guess is that a factory stock version would way outsell it.

Steve

56 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

agreed.

I'm a little surprised that anyone would start a new venture with NASCAR kits.

You just about can't give them away any place that they're sold.

Something older like this might garner a little more interest, but my guess is that a factory stock version would way outsell it.

Steve

But yet the new NASCAR kits keep selling out, and there is a demand for the older NASCAR stuff,  years that the model kit companies never really covered,  do you really think someone would invest in creating new company  if there was not even a small demand for it?,   that would be really bad business 101 dont ya think ?

For me, I have no interest in old NASCAR subjects,, but new stuff, oh yeah, that's what I am talking about, but overall this is great news for the NASCAR model community and the hobby overall.

Edited by martinfan5

Here is more info on this

OK friends, everyone has waited a long time and it's time to unveil the big model kit news. We have a new player in model kit production. The new producer is "Salvino's JR Models" They have begun production on their first model kit release. It's going to be a 1978 Olds 442 Nascar. The subject will be the Buddy Baker 1980 Daytona 500 winner. There will be many more kits to come after that, specifically the Petty 1979 Daytona winner. Also, they will be releasing other vintage Nascar kits. After the Olds, they will go right to the 1977 Monte Carlo. After a few vintage kits, the plan is to get into some current Nascar subjects...possibly a Camaro.

These kits will be very unique.. They are a full detail glue kit with very high end and latest technology production that will be right here in the US. The plastic will be genuine Styrene and not that PVC pipe junk that Revell uses. I'm pretty sure it's going to have some photo etched aluminum markings, but I have to confirm that. But the biggest thing is that they will have Cartograf printed decals and they are using our Powerslide artwork specially made for these kits.

At this point the release date is scheduled for March. Another great thing about these kits is that they are not going to the big distributors for supplying hobby shops. All dealers and shops will buy directly from Salvino's himself. This cuts out a middle man and saves cost to the customer.

You can buy them right from his website, but, I will be one of the few dealers that will be stocking them on my website. Retail price for these is going to be $39.95. It sounds like a lot, but it's going to be well worth it for the super high end kit that you will be getting. It's certainly cheaper that trying to buy a resin body (that needs tons of work), then a donor kit, then a decal sheet like we had to in the past for these builds.

Before you go pre ordering any kits off the Salvino site, keep in mind that I will be selling them under list price. My price will probably fall in the $30 range. Also since I'm working directly with the manufacturer I'll be the first to have them once they are released. I won't take payments for pre-orders, but I can promise you that I will have plenty for the first several months. If you would like me to hold a pre-order for you, just e-mail me and I'll put you on the list.

The website for more info is

https://salvinosjrmodels.com/

Thanks for reading and I'm sure this will grow into a great thing for the modeling, and especially the Nascar modeling hobby.

4 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Accurate Miniatures didn't start out with anything main stream.

For some, if it isn't something that interests them or above the price of a normal kit, they just think it is a waste of plastic. Myself, I like the fact it's something different, and the ones that already are putting it down means that there will just be more for those that are interested in older NASCAR. 

Just now, highway said:

For some, if it isn't something that interests them or above the price of a normal kit, they just think it is a waste of plastic. Myself, I like the fact it's something different, and the ones that already are putting it down means that there will just be more for those that are interested in older NASCAR. 

Right.

I think this is big news.

To Mike's Decals points above- it's true- for years, NASCAR modelers have spent $$$ on resin bodies, decals, then donor kits, paints & maybe wheels or other detail parts to build that "special" model. It's not priced too badly, when it's considered that a resin body, donor kit, and decals would cost about the same or more, all said and done. 

I think this is a pretty good pick, too: a historically significant car, that lends itself to future decal variants (Petty/ STP, Waltrip/ Gatorade, Earnhardt- almost all of the big NASCAR drivers drove these cars at some point or another). Also- it's only ever been available in resin, never in true kit form.

Also- judging by the pics, it looks pretty nice. Of course, we'll have to see the final product, but- from my first look, I'm not grossed out. If it looks this good out of an actual box, count me in for one.

Parts count is 128 pieces- so there is hope that this is a full detail (meaning: engine detail) kit.

This seems to be quite an effort.

Let's hope for a Dodge Magnum! :)

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

But yet the new NASCAR kits keep selling out, and there is a demand for the older NASCAR stuff,  years that the model kit companies never really covered,  do you really think someone would invest in creating new company  if there was not even a small demand for it?,   that would be really bad business 101 dont ya think ?

For me, I have no interest in old NASCAR subjects,, but new stuff, oh yeah, that's what I am talking about, but overall this is great news for the NASCAR model community and the hobby overall.

I don't have any problem with anyone producing whatever they want.

My only point was that every time I see a "closeout" table somewhere, it's covered with NASCAR kits.

I'm not sure who's selling out of them, but I don't think you would have much problem finding nearly any NASCAR kit produced.

Steve

OK, I don't know much about Nascar , I take it this body style was ran for a few years then?

It says in the press release above that it's a '78 and that they intend to also do Petty's '79 and Baker's '80 ,, the kit's a '76 though.

Anyway, I'll leave mine you those of you who like that sort of thing. Now if it had of been a '76 or '77 street car I'd be in for a couple. But,,,

16 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

OK, I don't know much about Nascar , I take it this body style was ran for a few years then?

It says in the press release above that it's a '78 and that they intend to also do Petty's '79 and Baker's '80 ,, the kit's a '76 though.

Anyway, I'll leave mine you those of you who like that sort of thing. Now if it had of been a '76 or '77 street car I'd be in for a couple. But,,,

'76-77 body style Cutlass ran in NASCAR through '80...NASCAR didn't downsize their specs until '81. 

27 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I don't have any problem with anyone producing whatever they want.

My only point was that every time I see a "closeout" table somewhere, it's covered with NASCAR kits.

I'm not sure who's selling out of them, but I don't think you would have much problem finding nearly any NASCAR kit produced.

Steve

I am not disagreeing with that or you, what I am trying to tell is  these new kits are going to cover stuff that have not been kitted before, so you wont find them on the closeout tables just yet. 

Carry on.

It’s true that almost any factory kit of a NASCAR car raced between about 1983-present are super common. The market was flooded, in no small part because NASCAR was hot there for awhile, and also, because in most cases- design a new decal sheet- and BAM! New variant for the same tooling. Even the chassis and engines were carryovers for many years. 

It doesn’t seem to be quite the same for the older body styles. The Polar Lights Talledegas, Cyclones and Chargers seem to sell for healthy amounts on the secondary market, and whenever Round 2 resurrects a ‘70’s NASCAR Car, they seem to do ok.