Model Cars Magazine Forum

New kid on the block ?

Greg Myers

34 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

I am not disagreeing with that or you, what I am trying to tell is  these new kits are going to cover stuff that have not been kitted before, so you wont find them on the closeout tables just yet. 

Carry on.

Yes, I agree with you there.

But my guess is if they don't do a stock version rather quickly, I guarantee you that you will see a ton of "how can I build this stock" questions, or possibly some resin casters jumping into the void quite soon.

Steve

I like Vintage Nascar kits, when the looked like real deal cars and decals where not the only thing that made them different. 

True, the Monogram Cookie Cutters kits of the 90's and early 2000's are like the herpes of model kits, just when you think you sold them all off, you find another one in the stash! 

Not to be too mean to the current NASCAR builders, but they are a bit boring to look at. Vintage on the other hand, is where it's at! I know, I wish they made stock versions as well, and I suppose they could make a stock version with race parts, but, then you would get a watered down kit that you would have to modify to build the race version. And it would not look as good as a single purpose race kit. Provided that they do it properly as well. 

And for the price? Why not, we are paying that for Moebious kits and vintage re-issues. Why not a whole new kit that is done right? But, the proof is in the pudding and I look forward to seeing what these kits really look like. 

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yes, I agree with you there.

But my guess is if they don't do a stock version rather quickly, I guarantee you that you will see a ton of "how can I build this stock" questions, or possibly some resin casters jumping into the void quite soon.

Steve

Of course that is going to happen

5 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

I like Vintage Nascar kits, when the looked like real deal cars and decals where not the only thing that made them different. 

True, the Monogram Cookie Cutters kits of the 90's and early 2000's are like the herpes of model kits, just when you think you sold them all off, you find another one in the stash! 

Not to be too mean to the current NASCAR builders, but they are a bit boring to look at. Vintage on the other hand, is where it's at! I know, I wish they made stock versions as well, and I suppose they could make a stock version with race parts, but, then you would get a watered down kit that you would have to modify to build the race version. And it would not look as good as a single purpose race kit. Provided that they do it properly as well. 

And for the price? Why not, we are paying that for Moebious kits and vintage re-issues. Why not a whole new kit that is done right? But, the proof is in the pudding and I look forward to seeing what these kits really look like. 

Not to be mean to fans of older NASCAR subjects, but they are just boring to look at and build,  new on the other hand, is where its at.

Edited by martinfan5

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Couldn't have said it better.

Yeah......What he said! ;)

Steve

5 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

But yet the new NASCAR kits keep selling out, and there is a demand for the older NASCAR stuff,  years that the model kit companies never really covered,  do you really think someone would invest in creating new company  if there was not even a small demand for it?,   that would be really bad business 101 dont ya think ?

For me, I have no interest in old NASCAR subjects,, but new stuff, oh yeah, that's what I am talking about, but overall this is great news for the NASCAR model community and the hobby overall.

Do NASCAR kits sell out anymore? I thought that trend passed about 15 years ago. I hope I'm wrong, and this does sell well enough for other non NASCAR models to follow. In the meantime I'll be passing on this one. 

4 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Do NASCAR kits sell out anymore? I thought that trend passed about 15 years ago. I hope I'm wrong, and this does sell well enough for other non NASCAR models to follow. In the meantime I'll be passing on this one. 

I really dont know,   all I know is a few sellers were going through a case a week for a short time, but as for the numbers, I have no idea and I would just guessing and not factual.  What I do know is there seems to be a large group that has a fetish for the old NASCAR stuff , so I think these new kits for subjects that have not been kitted before should sell pretty good, its gonna make a lot of men of a certain age happy.  Of course just my opinion and I could be wrong.

41 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

I really dont know,   all I know is a few sellers were going through a case a week for a short time, but as for the numbers, I have no idea and I would just guessing and not factual.  What I do know is there seems to be a large group that has a fetish for the old NASCAR stuff , so I think these new kits for subjects that have not been kitted before should sell pretty good, its gonna make a lot of men of a certain age happy.  Of course just my opinion and I could be wrong.

I just turned 50 and I am happy! 

Fun! 

Related image

Blah...

Related image

Just my point of view

great, fantastic news.
price is ok.
i have one concern. it doesnt mean i wont buy them all, just i am not sure if it is so high end kit. we dont see any kit trees, interior, nothing. we just see 3 photos of (very poorly!) built model. what i see is just like some normal 30y old kit. at best. glass getails, hood pins, bmf foiling etc makes me not sure modern kit looks like this...
not doing any judgement, i am happy enough with any result, i just hope final product is more advanced than i expect now. 

13 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

agreed.

I'm a little surprised that anyone would start a new venture with NASCAR kits.

You just about can't give them away any place that they're sold.

Something older like this might garner a little more interest, but my guess is that a factory stock version would way outsell it.

Steve

I agree with you Steve....I think it looks cool but factory stock would be very cool and one can always make it a Nascar if they want to from it.

So part of me is hoping, despite it being a half-niche market(as said before, '80s+ NASCAR sits like bathroom mold, just pops up everytime you're done getting rid of it and the '60-'80 stuff is loved by many) I genuinely hope it's as good as advertised. Hell given it's a first wham at it, it's forgivable to have errors or some stuff but... Christ on a cracker I wish more casters would pick up the mid-seventies and run stock versions before going right for the stock cars. I'd just about sell my kidney for half of the MPC stock cars like the Chevelle Laguna to be given a second chance, especially given MPC's so used to just slapping one-size-fits-all chassis and interiors in 'em.

Moaning aside, once it pops on the market and there's some more info on it other than 3 pictures and a Facebook post; I'm 100% interested. And that's full well knowing 50$(+20$ shipping) imports here get charged a 20$ import fee, I'm just happy someone out there's trying to break through.

I hope they make enough of them that I can get one after I see one or two built up.  If they are all they promise.   I would love to see the other kits as well.  A Holly Farms Laguna especially.  I live in NC so NASCAR is a big thing here.  New, old, it doesn't matter.  I don;t care for the new stuff, buth the old cars have always been my favorites. 

I would rather see the street cars, but these are insteresting to me as well.  

As for Accurate Miniatures, I bought 3 of the GS kits and was waiting eagerly for the Roadster and their cup car.   And that was like $30 - $40 a while back.  Yes modelers will pay if they want the kits.  And I think there is enough demand for these.  

Good luck to them.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on this one and I hope that this new kit manufacturer is successful, look at Moebius and what kit subjects they have tackled! This a great hobby and any signs of growth are welcome. Whether or not you are a fan of NASCAR or not this is great! I’m a fan of different subjects and this one of them and nice to see different subjects being tackled. While NASCAR has suffered in recent years suffered in recent years its on the upswing! I agree a Street version would be a better option, this will work considering the subject. Unlike current stock cars which by the rules are all pretty much the same the older cars were all pretty unique as such you won’t be building the same car over and over again!

I saw this yesterday on Facebook. I'm excited. It appears as a new mold if not a new mold. It could be the old Monogram chassis with a new body.  Either way, any company that steps in with a quality product deserves consideration.

Would I prefer a different kit? Absolutely. I'm sure 90% of the forum's users would prefer something else also. Of course, that would be ninety different kits. I think what killed Monogram's Nascar kits is the new decal, its a new kit mentality. I hope they don't fall into that trap. I think the price is average for what you're getting. A short run kit with quality decals for $40 is pretty good. Hopefully they'll be successful enough that they can offer additional kits and not be a two or three kit company.

As an aside to my previous post, I think all modellers should be behind any new endeavour pertaining to this hobby whether or not you are interested in the subject or not. I myself am not the slightest interested in say the new Star Trek kits that are coming out but I’m excited for those who are. My point being ,that for this hobby to continue and for us as whole to see new product be it new or reissues we should encourage it and leave the I won’t buy that on shelf!

9 minutes ago, PettyKW43 said:

As an aside to my previous post, I think all modellers should be behind any new endeavour pertaining to this hobby whether or not you are interested in the subject or not. I myself am not the slightest interested in say the new Star Trek kits that are coming out but I’m excited for those who are. My point being ,that for this hobby to continue and for us as whole to see new product be it new or reissues we should encourage it and leave the I won’t buy that on shelf!

Is there any tangible benefit to "rah-rah"-ing something which you never have any desire to put your money behind? While I understand your point, does that sentiment have any measurable effect in the real world, where sales numbers speak volumes regarding what people want and will buy? I have no desire to see this particular venture fail, but if they only release vintage and modern era NASCAR kits for the next five years, the cobwebs inside my wallet will be safe. Price isn't a deterrent for me at $40 per kit, either, but the subject is the main factor for me, and I suspect others, too. Perhaps a better comparison would be to Galaxie Limited, instead?

23 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

But yet the new NASCAR kits keep selling out, and there is a demand for the older NASCAR stuff,  years that the model kit companies never really covered,  do you really think someone would invest in creating new company  if there was not even a small demand for it?,   that would be really bad business 101 dont ya think ?

For me, I have no interest in old NASCAR subjects,, but new stuff, oh yeah, that's what I am talking about, but overall this is great news for the NASCAR model community and the hobby overall.

Bel-Kits also came out of the blue and found their niche, maybe the low production numbers are slowly taking he toy aspect out of model kits, just as with the military segment a decade or two ago...

Interesting indeed

1 hour ago, PettyKW43 said:

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Is there any tangible benefit to "rah-rah"-ing something which you never have any desire to put your money behind? While I understand your point, does that sentiment have any measurable effect in the real world, where sales numbers speak volumes regarding what people want and will buy? I have no desire to see this particular venture fail, but if they only release vintage and modern era NASCAR kits for the next five years, the cobwebs inside my wallet will be safe. Price isn't a deterrent for me at $40 per kit, either, but the subject is the main factor for me, and I suspect others, too. Perhaps a better comparison would be to Galaxie Limited, instead?

I don't think it is a factor of "rah-rah"-ing as it is not just filling up the threads on this or any new offering with the negative type comments like "If it was stock I'd buy it" or "Why a NASCAR, I hate NASCAR" or even "I only build 32 Fords so why should I care about this" or however one may want to express their disinterest in this kit. I'm not saying that no one isn't allowed to voice their opinion, but it just seems more and more there are many more negative comments about new offerings regardless of the manufacture than positive, and also seems that more any more many also can't look past the subject matter and actually look at the kit itself. I have many kits in my stash that may not even fit into any portion of my interests, but after seeing a review of the kit or maybe seeing the kit at a friends house and looking though it or even seeing a build thread here, even though I might have little interest in the subject the kit alone was enough to change my mind. 

Back in the days when this Olds 442 body style was the pick of most NASCAR teams, it was THE aero car of the day. It replaced the Chevelle Laguna S3 that expired after 3 years of eligibility. The Olds looks better to my eyes and made a great NASCAR racer. The Daytona winning car of 1980 was always one of my favorite NASCAR cars, they called it "the Grey Ghost" because of the silver paint and the fact that is was fast. Buddy Baker was always a great racer and a nice gentleman. His father was Buck Baker, another NASCAR legend. Sadly Buddy passed away a short time ago from lung cancer.

I am looking forward to this kit and building a tribute to Buddy and to Oldsmobile, both gone too soon. Hoping for real success with the model company and their plans for forgotten subjects that some of us always wanted to build. I have to say, I have no interest in present NASCAR or the b4$t4rd cars they drive around today. I do like the stock looking historical cars and the real men that drove them!

22 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Not to be mean to fans of older NASCAR subjects, but they are just boring to look at and build,  new on the other hand, is where its at.

And I feel the opposite. You can have modern cookie cutter nascar. Give me the stock cars that were actually based on a stock car.

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Bel-Kits also came out of the blue and found their niche, maybe the low production numbers are slowly taking he toy aspect out of model kits, just as with the military segment a decade or two ago...

Interesting indeed

OH yes, Bel-Kits,  very good point you made, they are making it work , so its very possible indeed.

On 1/16/2018 at 5:21 PM, russosborne said:

And we all know how that worked out. ?

Russ

Having done work for both Accurate Miniatures I and AM II , doing everything from building sample kits, test shots and even packaging kits....I have a perspective few have.  Both versions were filled with talented dedicated folks. Both companies failed because of perfect storms. AM I I will not detail to much.....I was an freelance worker and was outside looking in. 

AM II I can detail some as my family was deeply involved. AM II had some great plans. Unfortunately salezs did not support the planned tooling. Left with the GS Vette and some plane kits.....cash was an issue. But that alone did not do them in. My brother-in-law was art director and was a big part of kit design and development assisting Bob Johnson, expert kit designer. My brother-in-law passed away quickly and very unexpectedly.  He went from working one day to passing 3 days later. Thom's passing did not shut AM II....but almost all the folks at AM  II had major life altering events within a month. All this combined caused the end of AM II. It was just fate.

This new JR model co is in for a very tough road.  I do not know anyone involved.....but having done work for Moebius in the early years I have seen how difficult it is......and how costly.   I hope I am wrong but if they just set the CAD to the tooling maker this week (per their FB page) I do not see a kit before Fall '18 if all goes well. I WANT that Olds.......I make a number of decals ready for it.....but I'll take a wait and see.....thx