Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya McLaren Mercedes SLR 722

JeroenM3

So after 3 weeks of not doing any model work, ive decided to get right back at it. Starting with this SLR Mclaren box, even though i already had a ACR viper and XJ220 that i was working on but okay.

nPTYgL6.jpg

Its going to be an OOB build. No aftermarket parts necessary :)

Color will be a metallic blue from Tamiya (TS-19) with a red interior

Not sure to pre-assemble the body for paint or not yet, time will tell i guess.

Here it is in its current state:

nY8GD9D.jpg

KJnDGAb.jpg

pMjeoXo.jpg

95wCWnV.jpg

4OviGwW.jpg

Pgyw9XI.jpg

Ko6joUI.jpg

Off to a good start!  Just one suggestion - you may want to try a different paint, like Vallejo acrylics or Tamiya acrylics for your interior colors, especially if you brush on the color. You'll get a smoother, more accurate finish. Nice colors you chose.

On 17-1-2018 at 4:56 AM, BVC500 said:

Off to a good start!  Just one suggestion - you may want to try a different paint, like Vallejo acrylics or Tamiya acrylics for your interior colors, especially if you brush on the color. You'll get a smoother, more accurate finish. Nice colors you chose.

i tried the tamiya acrylics but i find them horrible to use with a brush, besides that that paint stinks like hell too! i guess its more for AB than brush. i must say i only have the streaking problem and what happened to the steering when i use the red color from Revell. the others give no problems at all...

• 4 weeks later...

So ive done very little to nothing on my model builds last couple of weeks. Been pr-occupied with loads of other things. What i have done however is paint and clearcoat some of the models so i can keep going in the future without having to stop due to the bodies harding.

Ive shot the Mclaren in Tamiya TS19, so far the car only has 1 wet coat. Now to sand it down (1200-1500-2000 grid) than another layer and clear it, and then let it rest for a month orso. I think the color looks awsome for a SLR McLaren!!

tQ5kGcQ.jpg

mWOZNXd.jpg

c3Vc7or.jpg

And this is how it looks out in the sun

YSQ6UGZ.jpg

The only thing im still not decided on is what clear to use, do i use the TS13 (regular clear) or do i use TS65 (pearl clear). I think TS65 will suit the shine and flakes fromt he metallic paint, and use the TS13 clear on my VIPER build (which is going to be yellow...)

So i finished of the paintwork on the SLR yesterday....

Was a little short on paint i found out, so it may not be as well done as i might have wanted to (especially the front bumper), but in general theres little to no faults with dirt and dust in the paint so that went well for a change :)

jqs3G2n.jpg

eVPN88c.jpg

nQVw4Ql.jpg

It is not yet treated with compound and/or wax....

On 15-2-2018 at 5:56 PM, Dann Tier said:

Looking sweet!!!

On 15-2-2018 at 2:08 PM, Bennyg said:

Looks good. 

Ben

thanks both (Y) 

12 minutes ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Which clear did you apply?

i was going to suggest a light mist coat with the pearl clear and then top that with TS-13.

I went with 2 layers of TS65.

This is how it looks when its outside in the sun now:

xEXUCKL.jpg

XU026N6.jpg

QqWCDzE.jpg

ILTX05p.jpg

Some small things im not totally happy with, but the can ran out and overall this is/was my best paintjob untill i did my 599SA Aperta that same afternoon (topic will follow)