Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvair rampside

I've been working on mine; it's very well engineered. Everything designed w/a precise platform-style assembly. I spent considerable hours working on the myriad of panel lines; the shallow ones need to stay shallow as they're seams (they're all there on the resin body, very faint), and the doors and engine cover that had to be scribed much deeper. My chassis is done, so I can see it up on all fours:

2v2J9QRpnxvKa6.jpg

2 hours ago, Eshaver said:

Scot , I'm curious . Did you start with the old Premier kit at first ?

Not my work.  Michael, the proprietor of Best Model Car Parts, created the master and cast this kit.  I believe he started with an IMC Dodge A-100 pickup.  And a pile of Evergreen.

Thanks guys; I wasn't counting hours but I'm pretty sure I spent a good 8-10 hours refining the panel lines and getting it in final primer. I was working on model projects w/friends over the recent holiday weekend so it was relaxing/therapeutic work w/o a deadline. Just wanted it to look as good as possible; the basic master work and parts fit is extremely nice, the platform-style assembly is very precise and allows for easy painting of the various colors. Having a good friend since high school that's been restoring/owning/driving Corvairs since age 16 is one of the reasons I had to have this kit; love Corvairs and Rampsides. Quirky cars/trucks are especially great model subjects! 

Before leaving CA in 2015, I often saw Mike from Best Models at kit swap meets/contests.  Nice guy and always had his family with him.  At one show I bought his 1950 Olds station wagon resin body.  He explained to me in detail all the parts he had to modify/create to get the master looking right.  That was pretty amazing.  When it comes to his bodies, he is a Perfectionist with a capital "P."

Now everybody can stop looking for that unobtainium resin copy of the PALMER Rampside kit.  Only 1000 of those were made, some years ago, by a company called corvairmodels.com. They were sold on eBay and I have one.  It's a direct copy of the undersized PALMER plastic kit, with all its problems. You're much better off spending your money on the Best Models body.

13 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

That's what I'm afraid of. Then we get things like what Matthew has posted above. I hate things like that, were people are not telling the truth. Trying to get the hopes up of those of us who would really like to see something like this from a major model manufacturer like Tamiya. If Paul and Matthew are B.S.ing me, F you. If you are telling the truth, show me more proof. I can find nothing on the web about this. So, I'm guessing it's not true. And that kind pisses me off. 

Wow!!!!

Edited by martinfan5

4 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I can't imagine anyone would be gullible enough to seriously believe Tamiya would make a Corvair Rampside.  Paul was obviously joking. 

Paul was obviously using a form of that famous ,  "its Tamiya like quality " line used when giving a kit a compliment on how nice it is.

Edited by martinfan5

56 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

That's what I'm afraid of. Then we get things like what Matthew has posted above. I hate things like that, were people are not telling the truth. Trying to get the hopes up of those of us who would really like to see something like this from a major model manufacturer like Tamiya. If Paul and Matthew are B.S.ing me, F you. If you are telling the truth, show me more proof. I can find nothing on the web about this. So, I'm guessing it's not true. And that kind pisses me off. 

Seriously man. You couldn't tell that Paul was joking. You couldn't tell Matt was joking? Do you have any sense of humor at all. Also unless you just got in to the hobby yesterday you already know Tamiya doesn't do vintage American kits. Honestly I doubt you would want them to as the American kits they did try all had accuracy issues. Mellow out and build a model or something. Those guys didn't post what they did to piss you off and if a little good natured ribbing pisses you off that much you may want to limit your time on the internet because there is a lot more of it out there.

Ever have a morning where you wake up feeling like you're in another dimension? :huh: :rolleyes: :D

No, Tamiya isn't doing a Rampside, it's completely outside of their universe subject-matter-wise. If they did, MSRP would not be that much less than this fine resin kit by Best Model Car Parts.