Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another track closing

Tragical, I read Irwindale in California wich was up for demolition was saved for now, but I didn't think Englishtown would close down with the herritage that track has, 48 years with National Events it's one of the oldest in the calendar.

Edited by Force

Just now, Force said:

Tragical, I read Irwindale in California was saved for now, but I didn't think Englishtown would close down with the herritage that track has.

That version of "Irwindale" is a joke of its namesake and history anyhow . Eighth-mile ? Garbage ! Certainly better than the alternative , but ...

The 'World Famous' Riverside International Raceway was decommissioned and eventually demolished to make way for a big shopping centre --------- that same centre has a 20% occupancy rate ! Total waste of land ! 

I wasn't aware that E-Town was on the chopping block :(. That sucks !!

Apparently , the respective locales and the pissant politicians want for everyone to take their machinery to the public streets .

When E-Town was built, it was in the middle of nowhere. Since then suburbia has crept closer and they've been fighting in court for years about noise levels.  There are many developments close to the track and those are the neighbors who have been complaining. If I remember correctly, they were only allowed to race during certain hours, probably interfering with running a full race night.

No mention of this in the articles, but probably a contributing factor.

11 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

When E-Town was built, it was in the middle of nowhere. Since then suburbia has crept closer and they've been fighting in court for years about noise levels.  There are many developments close to the track and those are the neighbors who have been complaining. If I remember correctly, they were only allowed to race during certain hours, probably interfering with running a full race night.

Yeah, kinda like the testosterone-free dwerbs who move into housing developments close to airports, and then sue about the noise levels.

There's too many people in the world, and most of them just get in the way of people who actually DO things.

The back of my own house is about 70 feet from a a short-line railroad that's prosperous because it's busy. The trackage has been in more or less continuous use since around 1870. There have been multiple ongoing complaints and suits about da big bad meany twainmens bwowing dere howens for the street crossings...so far to no avail. Just imagine how the dwerbs would sue if the train DIDN'T blow the horn, and some ditzy texting moron got squashed.

Don't like the noise of bad smelly dangerous machines? Don't CHOOSE to live close to a railroad or an airport or a racetrack.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

From what I read it all came down to money. There was much more profit in leasing to Copart for storage than to keep the strip running. Less insurance costs, no more dealing with the EPA, no track maintenance, etc..  If you read any forums, it sounds like the Napp boys weren't too accommodating to the racers either.  I'm sure the people who moved in to the neighborhood in the last 20 or so years and complained about noise and traffic didn't help.

Not too sure how much the noise, etc has on the closing.  When Bruton Smith made plans to build Z-Max in Charlotte/Concord there was a great outcry over the noise, environmental impact, ad infinitum.  Mr Smith, said "Alright I will build it somewhere else and while I am at it I will also move the Charlotte Motor Speedway along with it."  The hew and outcry stopped immediately and the opponents suddenly became supporters.  Money has a way of talking.  Now back to Englishtown, I'm not familiar with the Napp family or their business practices.  But since they are only shutting down the Dragstrip operation, I am wondering if maybe NHRA is asking for more benefits, less rental fee (or however they do that stuff).  NHRA  is getting more expensive, especially in the Pro categories, and I am sure they are having to offer the big name teams more money to show.  Just my thoughts and they may be out in left-field.

The tracks that close to put up housing or retail spaces has always bothered me. I've become sort of immune to it now. It's become inevitable. The Fremont Drag Strip ( later Baylands Raceway ) was shut down in 1988 to build a housing/retail complex. 10 years later work started, 10 years after that it had a few auto dealerships, and finally 30 years later it's relatively busy on weekends. They did try to put a ball field there as well as the intended housing complex, but never happened. 

A funny thing about airports and race tracks: They are housing magnets. A facility is built in the middle of nowhere, and before you know it, people start building houses and complaining about the noise.

Didn't they know that racetrack/airport was there before they built houses?

There are plenty of places to build houses, but not so many places to build racetracks. Then hear them complain about the street racing.  

......Very sad to hear that about E TOWN........one of the best, most exciting nation events I ever attended was the '84 Summernationals.....guess all the photos I have are a bit of true nostalgia....sad, sad news.....it was only topped by attending the U.S. Nationals in '76.......the two greatest events I was lucky enough to attend, especially if stockers, super stockers, mod. production, and all the door slammer classes are you thing, as they are for me.....the Ace.....:(

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, kinda like the testosterone-free dwerbs who move into housing developments close to airports, and then sue about the noise levels.

There's too many people in the world, and most of them just get in the way of people who actually DO things.

The back of my own house is about 70 feet from a a short-line railroad that's prosperous because it's busy. The trackage has been in more or less continuous use since around 1870. There have been multiple ongoing complaints and suits about da big bad meany twainmens bwowing dere howens for the street crossings...so far to no avail. Just imagine how the dwerbs would sue if the train DIDN'T blow the horn, and some ditzy texting moron got squashed.

Don't like the noise of bad smelly dangerous machines? Don't CHOOSE to live close to a railroad or an airport or a racetrack.

Dad had that issue at the last railroad he worked at., farmer sells land along 100+ y/o right of way and devloper builds houses right along it. Potential buyers drive over crossing of said track, look out the back window of house who's yard backs up to the tracks, drives across tracks again while leaving and still buys house.  Homeowner then comes and complains to Dad about not blowing the horns (federal requirement)  or shutting down right of way, Dad nicely calls him a moron without actually saying the word and goes back to work.

I can’t say this is especially surprising. I have been going there since 1988, to the Mopars at Englishtown event. Over the years, the emphasis on that event shifted from the drags, to the swaps, back onto the drags a bit when everybody started complaining about the high fees the vendors had to pay, and over the past 10 years or so, competing events at that same facility. Lately, while they have the show/swap/race, there also would be dirt biking, carting, solo, and tough mudder events. I think they have been trying to utilize the property as best they can, but at least for now, it doesn’t seem like they’re going to turn it into more retail wasteland.

Maybe the owners doesn't want to put up the money to make the quarter mile track safer, after all it was at Raceway Park, Englishtown Scott Kalitta lost his life 10 years ago.
They shortened the competition distance for the nitro classes to 1000 feet after that but they go faster and quicker today at 1000 feet than they did then on the quarter mile, the difference is 320 feet longer braking zone, but that may not be enough in the future.

Heard the news on Barrett Jackson last night, that sucks.  Englishtown was an institution.  I still remember how sad it was when they closed Beeline Dragway in Arizona.  Used to go to a lot of AHRA events there, and Friday night "run what you brung".