Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printed parts

Thee are several different 3D printing technologies and materials.

If you are talking about the FUD or FXD parts printed by Shapeways, they have lots of wax leftover from the printing process.  I good soaking in Hexane (Bestine, a rubber cement thinner) or Naphtha (Ronsonol Lighter Fluid or VM&P Naphtha from a hardware store) will rinse the wax away.  Certain areas of the printed part will turn white - that is normal. These parts will usually need some sanding to get rid of the "fuzzies" and some of the printing artifacts.

Edited by peteski

#1 rule ..never buy the cheap material parts..i was told to soak parts 20 minuets in 90% Alcohol when i first ordered them..when they came in thats what i did and worked out great . just take a old brush and brush them clean..

Edited by yh70

On 1/22/2018 at 2:55 AM, peteski said:

Thee are several different 3D printing technologies and materials.

If you are talking about the FUD or FXD parts printed by Shapeways, they have lots of wax leftover from the printing process.  I good soaking in Hexane (Bestine, a rubber cement thinner) or Naphtha (Ronsonol Lighter Fluid or VM&P Naphtha from a hardware store) will rinse the wax away.  Certain areas of the printed part will turn white - that is normal. These parts will usually need some sanding to get rid of the "fuzzies" and some of the printing artifacts.

Dam I wish I read this posting before I bought a pro mod 66 Nova from Shapeways.Great body,but it took me about a month of sanding the thing so I can paint it..Ah oh well,now I know.Thanks for the tips fellas