Model Cars Magazine Forum

Volvo 240 Turbo 1986 Macau Race Winner , Lets Have A Look

martinfan5

Nice, hope they get some mileage out of the mold, from what is in the box they could hit 19 years of production with some simple changes, mostly wheels, grill and hood. I don't think this would be that hard to convert to a factory stock 242, and very easy to convert to a street legal weekend racer.

I Hope they offer a rally version down the line, I think that would mostly just be different wheels / tires and some rally lights.

I'd love to see them offer a 1980 US spec car with the quad round headlights, the best looking 240 in my opinion. The quad rectangular headlight cars come in second. A 244 and 245 is probably just getting greedy. 

Jonathan where have you found the best price on this? I know you shop several of the Japanese vendors. I have a 1-1 1985 244 so it is a moral imperative that I get one of these. :D 

I will add the obligatory nitpick, the oil pan shouldn't be flat on the bottom, the pan has a distinctly rounded profile.

Edited by Aaronw

I got mine today - seems the P.O. “tried” to deliver three times then gave up and didn’t bother to tell me they had it. Anyhow...

Very nice kit that could EASILY be done as a close to stock street machine thing  R something. The body looks to be darn close to a stock 240 - even the trunk access gas cap things are molded shut.  I got the PE set and I’ll post a photo here in a bit.

Here is the PE set - is it worth the money? I don’t know. The gas tank gets a PE cover and a few other chassis parts but they actually look pretty good as molded...

74768A2D-8738-47A0-AA8B-B3E894E54BC0.jpeg

ACDBD55C-C738-42A9-8162-ABE347A333B2.jpeg

3CC211DC-6670-4692-B0EF-4E0CB674118B.jpeg

Edited by Erik Smith

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

Crazy Volvo kit idea... 
Not the same model(?), just a thought.

VOLVO 1988 740 LIMOUSINE [01].jpg

During the Cold War Volvos were apparently highly desired by Communist party big shots. As Sweden was a neutral country it was one of the few western cars available in Eastern Europe that wouldn't raise eyebrows, like a Cadillac or Mercedes would. Volvo built several hundred limos which were mostly sold to Eastern European governments for VIP transport. 

Also anyone looking to stick an engine in the kit, but don't need it to be factory stock  there are 1-1 small block Chevy and Ford V-8 conversions out there. It is apparently a fairly easy swap to drop the drive train from a Mustang into a 240.

Edited by Aaronw

I want to share some pictures of my collection of 200 series Volvos. These are 1:43 diecasts made by Editions Atlas and are of a subscriber service. This Volvo Collection has been going on for some years now and at the current moment I got 71 models raning from a ÖV4 Jakob from 1927 to an S80 from ca 2000. The last one to arrive was a 90s V40 the came in the mail a few days ago. So far I have gotten 10 200 series models and here they are all togheter. At the moment I do no have any room to display them so they are all packed up the boxes that they came in but I got the 200 series cars out for a litte photoshoot.
Sorry if the pictures are so small. I can probably upload bigger ones if anyone wants that.

IMG_0675_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0676_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0683_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0685_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0687_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0689_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0692_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0693_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0695_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0698_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0661_resize-vi.jpg

I tried to captcher some of the differences on these cars over the year. You will see the bonnet, grille and headlamps changed from the early 244 in light blue to the 1993 240 Polar wagon in dark blue mettalic. The 260 versions had a more defined hump on the bonnet and the grille was sticking out more than the 240s. You can also see the differences in tailights over the years an models. The more exlusive 260s had bigger ones than the 240s and the later ones got them more intefrated in to the body. There is also lots of diffrences in trim, some with chrome or I guess polished aluminium and some with blacked out trim.

Edited by Atmobil

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice. That brings back memories. I worked at the Volvo plant in Virginia for about 10 years. About this time around the early 1980"s. Volvo wanted to race the 242 turbo in a sports class some where Im not sure. To race  a particular vehicle, you had to produce 500. We did 250 and another plant did 250. We removed the smallish turbo, waste gate, along with the intake with the small runners. Replaced with a huge turbo / waste gate setup, along with many other parts, even changed the hood. It wouldnt close with these parts on. All wiring harnesses, and all had to look factory installed. A few had water injection installed. I worked in QC so I got to road test these to make sure they didnt over boost. Some did and shut down. The waste gate was adjusted and sealed and I retested. With this setup it revved very quick, way faster than stock. After all were done and inspected by an outside source. All parts were pulled back off, packed up, and stock parts replaced. That was a fun project to be involved in.

Edited by xsthomas

On 18/5/2019 at 7:10 AM, xsthomas said:

About this time around the early 1980"s. Volvo wanted to race the 242 turbo in a sports class some where Im not sure.

That would be the Group A evolution model, exactly what this kit depicts.

The 500 cars were homologation special for all the neat parts you listed, over the 5000 "regular" model produced in a year.