Model Cars Magazine Forum

simple 55 bel air

Revell has offered a very nice '55 Bel Air 2 door hardtop, a '56 210 2 door sedan.and In the '57 body style they also have a Bel Air 2 door sedan (post) and a 150 2 door. Revell also has a '57 Convertible but that may not be a typical Family Sedan. AMT has the Bel Air 2 door post sedan and 2 different versions of the '57 Bel Air 2 door hard top.  There're may be others but these I have built and I know they are easily found today.

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The Revell '55 hardtop is basically the same kit as the '55 convertible.

Both are pretty nice kits.

Steve

2v23E1QDNxwUbWP.jpg2v23E1Q88xwUbWP.jpg

WOW!!!!!

That's so sweet I may get diabetes. 

You just made me change my mind about the Revell '55 Steve. I didn't like the separate side trim stuff, but you proved me wrong.

I have to get one '55, as it's the only tri five Chevrolet I don't have built yet (have only a '55 Chevrolet step-side pickup).

When '50s Chevrolets are concerned, the '56 is my favorite. Always thought to be odd only having the not that accurate Monogram kit to build a '56 Bel Air two door hardtop.  

2 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

WOW!!!!!

That's so sweet I may get diabetes. 

You just made me change my mind about the Revell '55 Steve. I didn't like the separate side trim stuff, but you proved me wrong.

I have to get one '55, as it's the only tri five Chevrolet I don't have built yet (have only a '55 Chevrolet step-side pickup).

When '50s Chevrolets are concerned, the '56 is my favorite. Always thought to be odd only having the not that accurate Monogram kit to build a '56 Bel Air two door hardtop.  

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Yea, Steve's Bel Air above is stunning. And knowing his work, it looks even better in person. 

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

Agreed.That '55 is very realisticly built and could easily pass for real in those crystal clear photos.

Thanks guys, but I built this kit probably 5 or 6 years ago when I was fresh off of my 10 year hiatus and I was still a little rusty.

It's not my best effort & I'm sure I could do a better job today.

Steve

11 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

I  , too , love the '56 : the cleanliness of the '55 , with hints of the pending , ostentatious '57 . 

The Revell kit is a Del Rae pillar coupe , if I remember correctly ... 

Nice work on that '55 , Steve !

9 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I  , too , love the '56 : the cleanliness of the '55 , with hints of the pending , ostentatious '57 . 

The Revell kit is a Del Rae pillar coupe , if I remember correctly ... 

Nice work on that '55 , Steve !

The Delray (sic) series only came out in September 1957, as a 1958 model.

The Revell '55 is available in two flavours - a Bel Air Sports Coupe (hardtop) and a Bel Air convertible.

The relatively contemporary (I think 1990s) AMT kit is a Bel Air 2-door sedan and the old Trophy Series
Nomad has seen countless reissues over the decades.

MCM makes (or made) a resin transkit of a Bel Air 4-door sedan for the AMT 2-door sedan kit.

There also was a 1/24 scale Monogram Bel Air Sports Coupe kit (not the Badman),
which shouldn't be underestimated if you aren't a scale bigot.

[/anorak mode]

Edited by Junkman

For a great "simple family car:" several companies made resin parts to convert the Revell '55 and '56 Chevies into 4-door 150 series sedans.  Some are just the body, some have the body and corrected 4-door interior door panels, etc. 

At least one trans-kit for the Revell '56 Chevy had the body, interior panels, and a non-split 4-door front seat.  I have that one but don't know who made it.  It's very well done, a nice clean casting.  Bought it at a kit swap meet.  The Los Angeles Police Department used '56 Chevy 4-door 150 sedans, which is what I want to do with it.

Not sure if any of these bodies/transkits are currently available, but they sometimes show up on eBay.

Not that it really matters in regard to the original question, but the Del Rey was the name of an interior trim option that Chevrolet offered for their 210 series two door cars. The start date was late '53 and was seen mostly on the '54 thru '57 210 models. If you were to look for a '53-'54 Chevrolet with that interior option, it changed the look of the interior very much for the better. The Revell '56 Chevy 210 2door sedan has the Del Ray interior done just they way Chevrolet had it. The '58 Chevrolet Del Ray series was just above the Biscayne but the interior didn't look as nice as the interior option on previous year models.