Model Cars Magazine Forum

The dove as a symbol of "peace", or on the menu?

Ace-Garageguy

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Tastes just like chicken! :D

Steve

I said the same thing about barbequed armadillo. Using apricot marmalade and hot sauce to baste it brings out the flavor. I ate fried monkey when I was in Fort Sherman participating in JOTC training back in 1980. I guess that could be considered as cannibalism in some jurisdictions.

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

First time I ever heard that was as a small boy, when my Dad returned from some adventure in the Great Southwest and announced that he had eaten rattlesnake. 

Have heard it many, many times since. Apparently nearlly everything that's not beef, pork, or fish "tastes like chicken." :lol:

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Then I'll just take the chicken thank you. I know my previous remarks regarding the Geese issue sound like I'm laying in wait to shot any and all of them and that really isn't the case. I and about 50 others have their properties backing to a 46 acre lake. Because of the size of the body of water and the lush lawns surrounding the lake the Geese are naturally attracted to the area. When they come and go they usually have flights of up to 100 or more. There are times, especially at sunset when they return from the surrounding farmer's fields, it looks like something out of Wild Kingdom. As long as they stay on the water and off the grass they get a pass. When they start coming on shore to vandalize the yard and sidewalks I get my shorts in a bunch and react accordingly.   My wife and I enjoy sitting on our deck at sunset enjoying a glass of wine and talking and listen to the birds. The geese on the other hand are like small barking dogs that can even keep you up all night.     

6 minutes ago, espo said:

Then I'll just take the chicken thank you. I know my previous remarks regarding the Geese issue sound like I'm laying in wait to shot any and all of them and that really isn't the case. I and about 50 others have their properties backing to a 46 acre lake. Because of the size of the body of water and the lush lawns surrounding the lake the Geese are naturally attracted to the area. When they come and go they usually have flights of up to 100 or more. There are times, especially at sunset when they return from the surrounding farmer's fields, it looks like something out of Wild Kingdom. As long as they stay on the water and off the grass they get a pass. When they start coming on shore to vandalize the yard and sidewalks I get my shorts in a bunch and react accordingly.   My wife and I enjoy sitting on our deck at sunset enjoying a glass of wine and talking and listen to the birds. The geese on the other hand are like small barking dogs that can even keep you up all night.     

I've heard that sprinkling packets of grape Koolaid on your lawn will keep away the geese.

Coming from Rochester Minnesota where thousands of Canadian geese spend the entire winter, I heard this remedy from someone.

If it works, your only decision will be, what's worse, the geese, or having my property smell like Jonestown! ;)

Steve

9 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've heard that sprinkling packets of grape Koolaid on your lawn will keep away the geese.

Coming from Rochester Minnesota where thousands of Canadian geese spend the entire winter, I heard this remedy from someone.

If it works, your only decision will be, what's worse, the geese, or having my property smell like Jonestown! ;)

Steve

I have tried several suggestions from friends to the north including Minnesota and even the Dakotas. Not tried the Koolaid since I have over 100 feet of lake front and that stuff may stain anyway. One year we set stakes at the waters edge and ran fishing line back and forth between the stakes. They learned very quickly how to fly over that, but the first few times  were very entertaining to watch. I even considered Rat Poison at one time, but there was to much risk of collateral damage to other species and there often is a neighbors stray dog. I have made a "rocket launcher" out of PVC pipe and shoot Bottle Rockets at them. So far this has proven to be the most effective. Again I'm just trying to keep them out of the yard.  To help understand just how serious this problem with these birds is, a few years ago a nearby larger lake with a beach for homeowners to use had to be shut down by the health department. The Geese feces floating in the water was so dense and the bacteria level was unsafe to even be around. But you must remember this is an endangered species and are protected and cannot be harmed punishable by law. BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH bird has more rights than I do.          

On 1/20/2018 at 2:55 PM, espo said:

Geese feces floating in the water was so dense and the bacteria level was unsafe to even be around. But you must remember this is an endangered species and are protected and cannot be harmed punishable by law. BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH bird has more rights than I do.          

What I don’t get is why are they still considered an endangered species when they are ubiquitous anywhere there’s standing water?!

34 minutes ago, JohnU said:

What I don’t get is why are they still considered an endangered species when they are ubiquitous anywhere there’s standing water?!

I really have no idea. Our Government Bodies move in very slow and mysterious ways. This problem is prevalent in many of the area cities and anywhere there is an open body of water. I often drive thru a near bye city called Overland Park. The main road is Metcalf. There is a nice business area with several office buildings and sidewalks with nice landscaping surrounding several open ponds and small park like areas where workers can take a break or eat there lunch. The problem is that the sidewalks are so slippery with Geese droppings you can't walk on them. My hope is that whoever makes the laws protecting these pests would get realistic about their population and its impact on the area.        

On 1/20/2018 at 5:42 PM, oldnslow said:

We have that problem down here , geese come in and stay , but the law here says , if they don't migrate , they're not protected and open game .

On 1/20/2018 at 2:55 PM, espo said:

I have tried several suggestions from friends to the north including Minnesota and even the Dakotas.    

Y'all fellers jus' needs to gets yo'selves some radio-controlled GOOSINATORS !!!

8 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Y'all fellers jus' needs to gets yo'selves some radio-controlled GOOSINATORS !!!

I would love to have one of these to play with. This last Christmas the Hobby Shop I frequent had it's annual Christmas sale and I almost had my wife talked into a remote control Jeep, since we have a 1:1 she was interested. They offered what I felt was a great price for the product but when you start edging over a couple of hundred dollars, and this was closer to three hundred out the door, she said pass. I like this rig because you could go after them in the water also. Something I've been doing the last couple of years is to use a red Laser pointer after sunset. The object is to get them on the other side of the lake away from the house to cut down on the noise and they tend to stay put after dark. What I do is go out on our deck at night and shine the red Laser at them. They see the light and they just freak. I can herd them around until they're on the other side. Works like a charm, about $25.00 at Radio Shack.