Model Cars Magazine Forum

Polar Lights Mustang question

afxmustang

2 hours ago, High octane said:

Couldn't you " test fit' the frame into the body and see how much to shorten the frame, or no?

You can do it his way,or measure the middle of the front wheelwell to the middle of the rear wheelwell, thats your measurement then take the difference and cut that off the chassis, good luck.

19 hours ago, afxmustang said:

Getting ready to start on a Polar Lights Mustang funny car. I seem to have heard or read somewhere that the chassis needs to shortened a small amount in order for the wheelbase to be correct. Does anyone know how much it needs to be shortened?

I think I remember shorting the front radius rod which will pull the front axle back to correct position. I would mock-up the model with Elmer's glue to make sure everything works as expected before paint. My build (Blue Max funny car) is on my website under "Modelers Gallery" Pro Tech's builds.

Charlie

Pro Tech Model Parts

3 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

the  instruction sheet  shows you where to shorten the frame at the back ,pretty simple ! what car are you doing ?

Removing the material from the frame in the rear does not shorten the wheelbase.

I found out too late that the front wheels were too far forward in the wheel opening. I've had problems in the past with polar lights funny cars but the mustang is really bad.

P.S. Your results may differ!

WF

2 hours ago, 6bblbird said:

Removing the material from the frame in the rear does not shorten the wheelbase.

I found out too late that the front wheels were too far forward in the wheel opening. I've had problems in the past with polar lights funny cars but the mustang is really bad.

P.S. Your results may differ!

WF

sorry you are correct , I misread the topic wheel base is to long in the mustang sorry !

Here’s the Blue Max I built a few years back. Photo shows the front wheels too far forward. I didn’t realize the issue until it was almost finished. I think the best fix is to shorten the frame between the engine and front axle. Neither steering Drag link fit I had to rework it to fit. Too long. Hope this helps

C1B55D04-8894-4114-9CCD-5C6A7F456F6E.jpeg

6 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Here’s the Blue Max I built a few years back. Photo shows the front wheels too far forward. I didn’t realize the issue until it was almost finished. I think the best fix is to shorten the frame between the engine and front axle. Neither steering Drag link fit I had to rework it to fit. Too long. Hope this helps

C1B55D04-8894-4114-9CCD-5C6A7F456F6E.jpeg

First, nice build!  Second, how much would you say the front wheels need to move back? About 3/16 of an inch?  I'd like to write it down and put a note in my PL mustang kits so I will know how much to adjust things when I finally build them!