Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sacrilege or really cool? Hmmmmm...

I spent most of the 90s and early 2000s working for a Porsche dealer. First as a detailer while going through university, then as a sales guy for 5 years. These have been my dream car since I was a little kid. 

Not sacrilege. At the end of the day, this particular car was just a 1979 Targa. Not particularily collectible, fairly easy to come by. So I think this is a very cool project, and no more of a sacrilege than building an RS replica out of a similar car.

Having said that, if someone took a genuine '73 RS and did this? Where's my flaming pitchfork? i'm starting a mob and raising heII!

17 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

At the end of the day, this particular car was just a 1979 Targa. Not particularily collectible, fairly easy to come by. So I think this is a very cool project, and no more of a sacrilege than building an RS replica out of a similar car...

Which is exactly why I'm kinda on the fence about this one. The big-bumper cars of that general vintage are worth the least (my own '74 Targa is worth even less). Still, the SOUND of the 911 engine is at LEAST half of why I've wanted one since my first time wringing one out.

No matter how well it performs, I just can't imaging driving a 911 that doesn't sound like a 911.

It's sad to think that future generations might not ever know the thrill of a V8 or gas powered engine at all. Now they are talking about self driving cars so you might as well be in a taxi or bus. Also going by the wayside are manual shift transmissions. Fewer models are offering them. I'm glad I lived in the time of muscle cars, street rods, and all the other great cars I have known and loved. Electric cars, no thanks.

OK, this thread is blossoming a bit. My own take on Porsche sound is like this. I've driven 930 Turbo cars. I've worked on more than a few mid 70's cars [My background and training is all Euro]. And having driven Ferrari, Porsche, big and small block Ford, Chrysler and Chevy, and I for one am not enamored with Porsche sound. You can train the American to work on Euro but you cannot take the American out of that wrench. I actually like the pulse of a Subaru flat four as much as anything that came out of Stuttgart. The only Porsche that ever got me revved was a whale tail mid 80's Turbo that I tuned back in 91. THAT car was a beast and it came on so brutally and the tone was all business to my ears. But it stopped as good as it went so I was OK with what that car offered. But my ears love small and big block Chevrolet, and now LS architecture. 

That is the sound I love and may one day lament. Although I suspect that sound will still be throbbing long after I've left this plane.

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Which is exactly why I'm kinda on the fence about this one. The big-bumper cars of that general vintage are worth the least (my own '74 Targa is worth even less). Still, the SOUND of the 911 engine is at LEAST half of why I've wanted one since my first time wringing one out.

No matter how well it performs, I just can't imaging driving a 911 that doesn't sound like a 911.

100% agree, although I really like the idea of the electric 911, and would like to drive it and see what it's all about, it's not for me.

My dream Porsche is the 964 RS in Maritime Blue. Pure, unfiltered, raw, and noisy. Personally, I need all the sounds and quirks that make a 911 what it is.

On a related note...

Remember this? Ruf built an electric Porsche. The eRUF Greenster. And this was back in 2008! Before green was"cool."

ruf_greenster_4.jpg.481fe37a4818c9f5774b9c9919cdb613.jpg

I love Porsche's!  Ever since I bought a new 1974 911, back when I was a young pilot in the Air Force.  Gobs of cornering, instant response to drive input, easy to drive, hard to drive well, unique sound out of that flat 6.  Hated the cost and frequency of repair.  Parts are stupid expensive.  Parts just didn't last a long as they should(to some degree due to living in northern Michigan).  Would own another in a heartbeat if I thought I could afford to maintain it. 

As someone else said, there are some Porsches that need to be preserved like the Carrara's, RS's and RSR's, early 930's and others, but not all of them are worthy of the effort, time and expense.  What happens to those cars after they have outlived their parts really doesn't matter.  If you love one of the just plain old cars and want to take care of it, then good.  Go for it!  But some just aren't worth it.  Want to convert it to something more to your liking then go for that.  Every car of a particular marque is not worthy of preservation, so sacrilege?   No, not hardly.

9 hours ago, Renegade said:

It's sad to think that future generations might not ever know the thrill of a V8 or gas powered engine at all. Now they are talking about self driving cars so you might as well be in a taxi or bus. Also going by the wayside are manual shift transmissions. Fewer models are offering them. I'm glad I lived in the time of muscle cars, street rods, and all the other great cars I have known and loved. Electric cars, no thanks.

X2 FOR SURE

I was just going to post that! 

Is it sacrilege to take an old 32 Ford or something, and chop the top and turn it into a rod? Is it sacrilege to take a late 60s Chev truck and put it on a custom frame with full air ride and add a 700hp monster engine?  THis e-Porsche falls intothe exact same category.

:)

We all have a common love for the sound of an ICE( internal combustion engine) at some level I believe.We hear the cackling of a fuel dragster at a Good Guys event and instantly a crowd gathers to experience the ground shaking power of 10,000 horsepower. Maybe the sound boosts testosterone levels! Others are attracted to less violent sounds as well. In the spring when I first fire up my '48 Chevy and back it out of the garage I love to hear that old split manifold six cylinder rumble at idle. Honestly it's like therapy for my soul . I am glad to live in a time when I can experience that joy.

We tend to take all this for granted but probably shouldn't. Last summer at  a family picnic one of our college age grand daughters asked if she could sit in the '48. Naturally I was pleased and opened the driver's side door for her. One of the questions she asked was what the little chrome handle on the door panel did. I suggested she turn it to find out. She was surprised when the window rolled down! Here was a 20 year old young lady who had never seen anything but power Windows.Untill that moment it had never crossed my mind how much I took that stuff for granted. I grew up in those cars and two generations later it was all new to someone else.