Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sacrilege or really cool? Hmmmmm...

17 minutes ago, peteski said:

They are coming out with what you want. Just do a Google search for "sound system for electric cars".  Here is an example:

Not limited to or for electric cars, I am sure you aware, that manufacturers are piping in the engine noise to the cabin on combustion engine cars.

* please note for future reference, I did not watch the video in any lenght or with the sound on, so it might of be covered in that video, if so, then please ignore this entire reply.

Edited by martinfan5

10 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Not limited to or for electric cars, I am sure you aware, that manufacturers are piping in the engine noise to the cabin on combustion engine cars.

* please note for future reference, I did not watch the video in any lenght or with the sound on, so it might of be covered in that video, if so, then please ignore this entire reply.

On a semi-related note, there is also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

Some of those sounds are designed to imitate IC engines.

Just now, peteski said:

On a semi-related note, there is also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

Some of those sounds are designed to imitate IC engines.

Oh yes,  I just recently heard about that, the EVWS, very interesting too, thanks for sharing the link.

Its funny, things you dont think of , or even take for granted with a gas engine vehicles, all the sounds that are made,  which means EV's can be in some ways more dangerous to pedestrians

21 minutes ago, afx said:

How do you all feel about Chip Foose's 356?

OK by me. I've always liked the whole "outlaw" 356 thing anyway.

Though I like the wheels, I'm curious about the wide-5 bolt pattern. The shape of the car identifies it as a "C", which would usually have the smaller bolt pattern of the 911 series.

I'd also prefer an "A" coupe nose, but that's just me.

I like this better...

Image result for outlaw porsche 356

Related image

And then there's this one...

Porsche-356-outlaw-08_450.jpg.ef18844e6841f32050727d71954b2fa2.jpg5a6615e52b810_porsche55outlaw.jpg.1dbdca44cd94574abcecdde6342cc856.jpg

10 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Oh yes,  I just recently heard about that, the EVWS, very interesting too, thanks for sharing the link.

Its funny, things you dont think of , or even take for granted with a gas engine vehicles, all the sounds that are made,  which means EV's can be in some ways more dangerous to pedestrians

Most IC cars are pretty quiet now, and there will still be tire and wind noise.

2 hours ago, afx said:

How do you all feel about Chip Foose's 356?

10468086_1513775828836933_8116921364045654946_n.jpgBt1Qq-NCAAAcRpR.jpg

Ok, this is a good example of a car not worth restoring used to create something else.  As I recall, this cars body/chassis was so messed up it just couldn't be properly fixed as a restoration and the engine/transmission was not original.  You basically had about 1/3 original sheet metal.  Chip made it real clear at the start that this was a custom build using what was left to create a usable car.  I'm good with this the same way I would be with a custom 49 merc or Model T hot rod.  Once it is junk, make what you want of it, instead of hauling it to the junkyard to be scraped or rot away.  I say good one Foose!

4 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Exactly, so with or without a gas engine, you'll still be able to hear it coming.

Yes, if the outside is perfectly silent,  so no, you will not always hear them coming if you are not in the middle of nowhere with no other sounds being made, like city noises.

Edited by martinfan5

36 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Right, and at slower speeds, you cant really hear the tires either, so I think the moral of all this is,  pay attention :lol:

Exactly!

My first thought on the fake engine noise was that it was kind of silly, but I suppose it's really no worse than, fake scoops, fake wings, fake wood, fake wire wheels, fake convertibles, or any of the other fakery that's been applied to cars over the years.

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Exactly!

My first thought on the fake engine noise was that it was kind of silly, but I suppose it's really no worse than, fake scoops, fake wings, fake wood, fake wire wheels, fake convertibles, or any of the other fakery that's been applied to cars over the years.

And fake body parts in general...that still seem to be remarkably popular with a certain (or is that cretin?) mind-set (and whom I would suspect of having had somewhat limited interaction with the real versions). ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

58 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And fake body parts in general...that still seem to be remarkably popular with a certain (or is that cretin?) mind-set (and whom I would suspect of having had somewhat limited interaction with the real versions). ;)

Of course, spend enough money, then it's a "replica" or a "tribute", and it's considered the height of good taste and sophistication.

My vote for the dumbest piece of fakery has to be this:

188128_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Fake headlights on the doors that hide the real headlights.

33 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Of course, spend enough money, then it's a "replica" or a "tribute", and it's considered the height of good taste and sophistication.

My vote for the dumbest piece of fakery has to be this:

188128_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Fake headlights on the doors that hide the real headlights.

I never understood that, and thought it was/is so dumb looking.

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And then there's this one...

Porsche-356-outlaw-08_450.jpg.ef18844e6841f32050727d71954b2fa2.jpg5a6615e52b810_porsche55outlaw.jpg.1dbdca44cd94574abcecdde6342cc856.jpg

I'm sure that has purists gnashing their teeth, but I like it. I don't even build customs and that has me wanting to track down a 356 kit.

Pete has a good point too, the starting place makes a huge difference to me. If I knew a guy butchered a pristine Model T to make a bucket T, I'd be disgusted. Same guy takes a rusted chassis with a few bits of car attached he yanked out of a blackberry patch have fun, at least as a hotrod it will be on the road instead of rusting away. The quality of the work plays a big part as well, there have been many monstrosities posted here that are an insult even if they started with the creature from the brier patch.

There is a guy Gary Wales building retro touring cars from old fire trucks which is causing a minor bruhaha among fire apparatus collectors. Some feel it is better to let them rust in peace rather than be rebuilt as something else. 

This I kind of agree, I mean your money, your truck, but.... no thanks.

FWD_abonination_post.jpg

But that isn't what this guy is doing. He is taking trucks that would otherwise be scrapped and making them into something interesting. Anyway I think they are pretty neat even overcoming my biases to cutting up old fire trucks. If I had the means I'd buy one.

1919_ALF_post.jpgEngine_car_post.jpg

An idea of what these looked like at one time. He says he only uses a chassis that is beyond having a reasonable chance for restoration. Kind of a broad statement, with enough money anything can be restored. As an example of what he considers too far gone, the fire engine that became the car on the right had been stripped and left out in the woods for a few decades before he got it. 

1925_ALF_pumper_post.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

9 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Yes, if the outside is perfectly silent,  so no, you will not always hear them coming if you are not in the middle of nowhere with no other sounds being made, like city noises.

I've been around a few hybrids, my aunt had a Prius, and we have a few Ford Escapes at work.They are very quiet when the engine hasn't kicked on, and it often doesn't at low speeds. I could easily see a pedestrian getting hit in a parking lot by an inattentive driver, and the pedestrian would not have to be an idiot, just hit from behind.

My aunt came to visit a few years ago when she had the Prius. Just happened to arrive when I was walking to the house. It was cold so I had a knit cap over my ears, but no traffic, and not many people around. I didn't hear her until some gravel crunched under the tires when she was less than 10 feet away. Even then I didn't think it was a car, I turned to look back and expected to see another pedestrian, not a car. No sidewalks so if she had been an idiot driver I could have easily been hit. 10-15 mph probably won't kill you but it can still hurt.

My vote is to give electric cars the car sound from the Jetson's. :D