Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why no Corvette C7 Z06 or Grand Sport model kit?

Does anyone have any idea why none of the major model kit co.'s have produced a kit of the new (now 4 yr's old ), Corvette Z06 or the newer Grand Sport. And just announced is the 2019 ZR1. This is an iconic sports car, Revell has done the racing version(C7R) of the car, and they have done many versions of the new Camero.

If it is a licensing issue, looks like Revell got around that on the 'base' C7 by taking laser measurements of an actual car. I thought there would be demand for such a kit -- appreciate any thoughts on this,

thx

Al

Probably the same reason why we've had nothing but a simple snap together for the current Mustang. You would think a full detail kit of current cars like this would be a shoe in for trying to keep younger modellers in the hobby as they graduate past snap tite kits.

peter31a makes a very good point. If you think back to how much of this hobby got started it was based on a couple of companies that had contracts with the American auto manufacturers to make "Promo" hand out in dealerships. They were popular and these companies started to offer basic no interior kits or already assembled models of the current model production cars. In the early '50's and especially after offering convertible models they started to include interiors. They enjoyed good sales and profits so they started to expand the body styles offered and each year they would offer the latest year models. By the mid to late '50's AMT started offering models of the '32 Ford and many others and I think that was when this hobby really started to grow beyond a simple showroom type model and they were even starting to offer Custom Options and what the manufactures thought was a Racing option. I think that if Revelle would start offering models of the current high interest models of today they would find it very profitable business model into the future. They would have a very big investment to start and wouldn't know 100% if they would be profitable so you can understand their reluctance to do this.

6 minutes ago, espo said:

peter31a makes a very good point...................................I think that if Revelle would start offering models of the current high interest models of today they would find it very profitable business model into the future. They would have a very big investment to start and wouldn't know 100% if they would be profitable so you can understand their reluctance to do this.

I agree with Peter and David...!!!   and I would love to see some late model  Mustang and Corvette full glue kits...!! 

Well maybe Tamiya or Fujimia  will do a version of the C7. Their product marketing strategy seems to be a little different than Revell; they seem to have a more detailed , higher priced kit, but seem to keep pace with the real introductions of the Ferrari, Porsch, McClaren. It seems like a need in the market is being overlooked, 

just my $.02

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I have several old ('20s and '30s) radios and recently took one in to get repaired.  The shop owner said they cannot get young people involved in the hobby because they have a short attention span and cannot work several hours at a time tracing circuitry.  Perhaps the same situation is true with the kits, so a snap kit is all they can do before losing interest.  I think if a smart phone was included in a kit,  that might stir some interest.   

make them use abacus instead of calculators in school. makes them think instead of using google/siri etc and they might become more useful members of society. I have a theory on the decline of education and compassion among the young. I blame music videos and mtv for the i want it now mentality of kids. before mtv we got protest songs and after we got look what i have songs.

17 minutes ago, Motor City said:

I have several old ('20s and '30s) radios and recently took one in to get repaired.  The shop owner said they cannot get young people involved in the hobby because they have a short attention span and cannot work several hours at a time tracing circuitry.  Perhaps the same situation is true with the kits, so a snap kit is all they can do before losing interest.  I think if a smart phone was included in a kit,  that might stir some interest.   

Well, radios are obsolete technology in a world of streaming audio.    I can't imagine anyone my age or younger interested in something like that.   Not really a good analogy to model kits. 

It is odd, but it's Revell..their decisions rarely make sense... they haven't even bothered to do a full detail regular C7..or a new Mustang.  Or a Challenger Hellcat.  They've completely missed the boat with regard to modern American performance cars, with their continuing focus on the older products only..it's sad. 

Edited by Rob Hall

2 hours ago, Casey said:

When Corvette kits are as cheap as the Royal Rail and Depth Charger...

image.png.1decc9a6e0138c1f7755896d78c67a6d.png

Well those Corvettes are also 6yrs old for the Coupe, and 5 yrs old for the twin-pack.  I'd want them gone at pretty much any cost too if I had a bunch lying around my warehouse.  That also tells me Corvettes have at least as much interest as those goofy "show rods", which everyone always wets themselves over whenever those reissues are announced...

10 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Well those Corvettes are also 6yrs old for the Coupe, and 5 yrs old for the twin-pack.  I'd want them gone at pretty much any cost too if I had a bunch lying around my warehouse.  That also tells me Corvettes have at least as much interest as those goofy "show rods", which everyone always wets themselves over whenever those reissues are announced...

Kind of my point-- if any of those were a hot seller their would be none left after six years. 

I just don't see the mass market demand for a Corvette kit. Maybe when the new mid-engined version arrives there will be some buzz surrounding it, and greater sales potential for a kit based upon it?

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Kind of my point-- if any of those were a hot seller their would be none left after six years. 

I just don't see the mass market demand for a Corvette kit. Maybe when the new mid-engined version arrives there will be some buzz surrounding it, and greater sales potential for a kit based upon it?

Yeah well going to most hobby shops will net you a slew of kits that are 6 or more years old in terms of their release date, and I'm not talking about the myriad reissues either.

There's no demand for any more C7s beside that odd half-promo glue kit made, but there's a rabble at the gates demanding a 120+ part, 3 season old Ford GT GTE car?  

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, Rob Hall said:

Well, radios are obsolete technology in a world of streaming audio.    I can't imagine anyone my age or younger interested in something like that.   Not really a good analogy to model kits. 

Rob,

You missed my point.  Most people who aren't senior citizens are interested in smart phones for the texting and internet capabilities, and have a short attention span, which is why they are constantly looking at their phones to see if someone has texted or emailed them.  Go to any sporting event and you can't have a moment of silence without music playing or some other stimulus.  Go to a mall and you have the same situation.  To have the patience and attention span to focus on building a detailed kit is out of the question for most, so a snap kit suits them perfectly!  

9 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Rob,

You missed my point.  Most people who aren't senior citizens are interested in smart phones for the texting and internet capabilities, and have a short attention span, which is why they are constantly looking at their phones to see if someone has texted or emailed them.  Go to any sporting event and you can't have a moment of silence without music playing or some other stimulus.  Go to a mall and you have the same situation.  To have the patience and attention span to focus on building a detailed kit is out of the question for most, so a snap kit suits them perfectly!  

Kids don't build models much anymore, so it doesn't matter.  We need full detail versions of the Corvette C7, new Mustang etc for adult builders....I couldn't care less about kids building models...by doing only snap kit versions of modern subjects, Revell is doing adult modelers a disservice...it's an insult to adults that like modern subjects.

Edited by Rob Hall