Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Baja Bronco

Casey

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Note too, the the '71 Bronco in the photo, has the stock air cleaner, not the chromed pie pan that is in the Baja Bronco kit. Going to be some very interesting kit bashes in the next few months.

Too bad the Bronco in "Romancing the Stone" is an '84. Be neat to build a replica of the "Little Mule".

I don't know which is correct for the Stroppe, but most (90%) of the ones I have seen online have the stock air cleaner. I don't see "chrome" air cleaner cover as an option on the one spec list either. Doesn't mean it wasn't offered, I guess.

My grandpa had a brown bronco with with flares, front and rear, so I guess this makes it easier to reproduce that...

brochure04.jpg

I noticed it also says "8 1/2 x 15 wheels - painted" - most online have aftermarket or chrome?

Edited by Erik Smith

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I assume Revell photographed and based their tooling on a modified Baja Bronco rather than one that was a 100% stock...

Probably. Or a replica. 

You would have to work to actually avoid one without the flares, as there weren’t a ton of Bajas made and I wouldn’t imagine many people would add the flares - since the fenders were “flared” or rolled from stock fenders for clearance. 

Coincidentally the Nov/Dec 2017 issue of Vintage Fire Truck & Equipment has an article on a Stroppe built Baja Bronco ambulance ordered by Ford in 1977 for a PR event. The Stroppe family bought it from Ford after the event, and maintained it in original condition until 1995, when they sold it to James Duff (Baja racer and owner of JDI an aftermarket Bronco parts company). It was later sold to a friend of Duff's who is the current owner. Although an unusual use, they made all of the same modifications and it has been kept original by all of the owners. 8 or 9 pages with some good detail photos, as well as being an something a little different to make from this kit. It shows quite clearly the front fenders are not bolted on flares.

This issue also has an article about the 1938 Ford fire engine used in A Christmas Story.

https://vintagefiretruck.com/

Not available as a back issue yet, possibly still on the shelf at Barnes and Noble.

Did a full build of the Baja Bronco.

I built it as Wheeler's green Bronco from the movie 'Role Models' (as close as I can get it with a box kit and no aftermarket).  

Goes together great, not one issue and I'm happy with the result.  It needs the front flares to be Wheeler's truck anyway.

On 2/8/2018 at 7:03 PM, Fat Brian said:

Personally, I don't mind the front fenders. I'm never going to build a stock Stroppe Bronco but will be building a few typical custom style Broncos and the absence of front flares would have caused me some problems. 

I suspect the majority of people who buy this kit would agree with you. I'm sure there are hardcore Stroppe Bronco fans out there wanting a 100% accurate model, but considering there were ~500 or so ever built, I doubt there's going to be a huge outcry over the inaccurate rear flares for the Stroppe version. The majority of folks will build it the way they want it, and who build s a truck with flares at only one end? :blink:  Is the box art version a bit misleading? Yeah, I suppose it is, but it's a decent kit of a long awaited subject, and despite it's known inaccuracies to the vocal minority, I have no doubt it'll sell very well.

On 20.1.2018 at 1:15 AM, Casey said:

I didn't see much different between the forthcoming Revell Baja Bronco and the existing Revell Ford Bronco kit, but after looking at enlarged images, there are a few noteworthy changes:

1. Hexagonal wheel arches with integral fender flares
  2. New tires (anyone recognize them to be a replica of a real tire?)
  3. Newly engraved nameplate above the front side marker lights(?)

Instruction sheet is up and downloadable: http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-4436.pdf

Pics of the new Baja Bronco and the existing Ford Bronco, for comparison:

BajaBronco85-4436.jpg

RevFordBronco854320.jpg

In my opinion, the Baja version looks much better, the original one has "toyish" looking wheels...

2 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

In my opinion, the Baja version looks much better, the original one has "toyish" looking wheels...

Absolutely! I bought some "goodies" from Fireball and Scenes Unlimited for my Bronco builds. I may get a Baja kit as a 3rd version , as well as an few bits from Olsen Bros. I have seen some fantastic builds from this kit.

On 2/2/2018 at 12:25 PM, Erik Smith said:

I don't know which is correct for the Stroppe, but most (90%) of the ones I have seen online have the stock air cleaner. I don't see "chrome" air cleaner cover as an option on the one spec list either. Doesn't mean it wasn't offered, I guess.

My grandpa had a brown bronco with with flares, front and rear, so I guess this makes it easier to reproduce that...

brochure04.jpg

I noticed it also says "8 1/2 x 15 wheels - painted" - most online have aftermarket or chrome?

On 2/2/2018 at 12:53 PM, alexis said:

That Order Sheet is a terrific resource, Erik! Notice how clear it is about "Rear Fender Flares". Nothing about any Front Flares mentioned.

That will be invaluable to build a factory correct Baja Bronco.

The "Front Fender Flange Trim" maybe??:huh:

Edited by highway

On 2/10/2018 at 12:30 PM, Casey said:

I suspect the majority of people who buy this kit would agree with you. I'm sure there are hardcore Stroppe Bronco fans out there wanting a 100% accurate model, but considering there were ~500 or so ever built, I doubt there's going to be a huge outcry over the inaccurate rear flares for the Stroppe version. The majority of folks will build it the way they want it, and who build s a truck with flares at only one end? :blink:  Is the box art version a bit misleading? Yeah, I suppose it is, but it's a decent kit of a long awaited subject, and despite it's known inaccuracies to the vocal minority, I have no doubt it'll sell very well.

If someone is striving for accuracy, then the first issue of the Bronco kit along with a set of rear flares will get them there. 

I picked up this kit yesterday at a swap meet and later today I will be online ordering my "accessories" from Fireball to customize mine the way I would build it!

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, Casey said:

The changes to this version is enough to sell one to me as it solves several problems I had with the original.  Namely the flares take your eyes away from the fact the body is slab-sides and doesn't roll under at the bottom, and the wheel & tire combo looks decent enough.  Cause ya know for all that work they did with that Bronco graveyard to be uber-super accurate then churn out wheels that are several inches too small...:blink:

Pepper in a few Fireball pieces as others have suggested and I think it's eminently workable.